Young giant redwood sequoia. What to do

wortloch

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi. I have been growing my giant redwood sequoia and would like help to bonsai it. I would like some advise on style and technique for a jaw dropping modern comp,weed project. I have time and passion to finish it to completion.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 112

wortloch

Seedling
Reaction score
You know that time means 10-20 years right? :)
Absolutely have the time. Would love to see it develop over the next 20 years. But, in the meantime...should I wire, prune, do something drastic to make it better over time...etc? Looking for advise.

wortloch

Seedling
Reaction score
Second giant redwood I've seen on here today?
Coincidence?
Hi. M.Frary, thanks for the reply.

I could use some guidance...should I put it into a bonsai pot or large pot? Cut, wire, prune, bend???

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Absolutely have the time. Would love to see it develop over the next 20 years. But, in the meantime...should I wire, prune, do something drastic to make it better over time...etc? Looking for advise.
If you are a beginner (like me), you shouldn't do to drastic things to him. Most important is to keep it alive :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Deja Vu!

Bro. Make a third thread on this!
Lol.
Totally kidding.
But, you're gonna catch a lot of flack......

Hence. The flack.

But we got you!

I would consider a real wide shallower screen sided box. A loose inorganic soil, and mad fertilizer!

They say these grow fast.......

Sorce

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just let it grow for now and several more years. Wiring and pruning it will slow it down. It is outside, right?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
you sure that's a redwood sequoia-foliage looks very juniper'ish from that picture. Maybe a better picture would help.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
A little advice based on actual experience:
- It needs a few years of ground growing to develop an acceptable trunk.
- Giant sequoias tend to abort branches that have been wired or trimmed.

Coast redwoods are far superior bonsai material.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You could go ahead and select some main branches (the ones you know you want to keep, grow out, wire and ramify) and thin it out a little.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've been helping a couple people with these over the last year. We've found here in San Francisco that they back bud decently, but that the produce whorls by default and the whorls get worse over time. Eliminate any whorls early. When cutting back to older branches (which you don't really have) be more cautious as these don't react like junipers even though they look similar in foliage.

As Paul and a couple others said, you have no trunk to speak of, which is the heart and soul of any bonsai composition, so growing out intelligently is needed.
Branch dieback on many species is a problem, so be prepared for frustration.

I'd suggest that you try to find something with a larger and more interesting trunk to work on at the same time you try developing this one.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check this out, one of the few giant sequoias that I've seen on the internet:

http://www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/giant-sequoia

I'm working on one but the trunk is developing verrrrry slowly, still years from doing any styling work on it.

you sure that's a redwood sequoia-foliage looks very juniper'ish from that picture. Maybe a better picture would help.

Giant sequoia (sequoiadendron giganteum) is very different from coast redwood (sequoia sempervirens). Former has juniper-like foliage (doesn't matter if it's young or old) and the latter has foliage like a bald-cypress or dawn redwood.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I just discovered Giant sequoia grow here in small groups so I'm going to layer the tops of the fattest ones I can reach. Just what I need, more bloody trees.

Top Bottom