Young Hinoki Bonsai help

Boylan91

Seed
Reaction score
I just received this Hinoki Cypress for my birthday the other day, and I'm a little overwhelmed. I've been reading lots of info for beginners, but I'm still not sure what to do, if anything. Theres a bunch of small branches right near the trunk that I'm a little worried about. Should a I clip a few of them? Also any suggestions for wiring?

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'd keep it alive this season. Next spring it needs to be repotted into a good bonsai substrate which is granular and well draining. . The soil it is in now looks like potting/garden soil with gravel added. It is essential that a bonsai be in a granular soil. It should live outside all year. Start in the shade and acclimate it to more light over the next few weeks. Don't know where you live but should be OK with full morning sun and bright shade in the afternoon. However it's dependent on location.

That soil may be very water retentive, do not overwater (and don't let it dry out either). hard to give a formula because each tree is different and dependent on location and weather. Basically water when the tree needs it.

Hinoki cypress are not easy trees, read up. I think it's important to keep all the branches until you figure out the score. This species does not backbud so if the foliage is not managed correctly you'll end up with the foliage far from the trunk. You need to maintain foliage close to the trunk. Got a club close? that would be your best bet. Read up.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't cut off ANY of the interiror growth. Any branches you KNOW you won't use, cut them off. Make room for the remaining branches to lay down a bit to give the illusion of age. Wire every major branch out and position them where you want them. (I've only ever used copper on these trees, but hinoki seem pretty flexible.) Splay the foliage out horizontally. (Ryan Neil of Mirai suggests pruning vertical growth, but sometimes you've got to salvage what you've got.)

After this work, I've learned it best to move them into the shade. Technically, I haven't learned that, but I have found that leaving them in the sun after this work causes more than you want to turn crispy ...so I **THINK** moving it to the shade will help in that regard. At least, that's what everyone else says to do.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Keep the buds and short green branches on the trunk, these will be needed years down the road, and they are never replaced by the tree once you remove them.

Use the search function and read a number of Hinoki threads on this site. Do look up the Etsy wiring tutorial by Colin Lewis, it is free once you register.

Watering is tricky, looks simple, hard to get right. Use your finger, dig in to the first knuckle. If feels barely moist, time to water. Feels damp or wet, don't water. Feels bone dry, you should have watered yesterday. Get watering right, you won't have to repot right away. Watering frequency changes with the weather. Will also change as tree grows, or when you change potting media.

A coarse mineral based potting media (such as pumice) will last a long time, years to decades, without repotting, but will need careful attention to watering, daily in hot weather. An organic mix breaks down over time, often loosing air voids, becomes stagnant. Organic mixes need to be replaced every other to every 3 years. You should repot your tree in spring because the mix looks too heavily organic. Between now and spring read up on potting media.

You can remove any long branches you are sure you don't want. But keep the little ones on the trunk. Trust me.

Top Bottom