Young Itoigawa

fexef

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey, I managed to get my hands on a few little Itoigawa. Since I am relatively new to bonsai I wanted to ask what would be the next steps to growing them bigger. They are around 15-20cm I would say maybe 2yo but don't really know? I read that a bigger pot might be a good idea for faster growth, if so, would you recomend switching to a bigger pot? The current ones are: 8cm wide and 10cm in height. I also wonder if an Air Pot or Colander would be a good idea?
Or am I thinking too much an should just let them grow untouched this summer?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20210220_124722.jpg
    20210220_124722.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210220_124535.jpg
    20210220_124535.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 29

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Air pots and calendars are not useful for growing out a juniper. If you want it to be bigger, you need to get it growing strong. Can you plant it in the ground? If so, you will start to see some noticeable thickening in year 3, but they really need to be allowed to run wild for a few years to put on some wood. As an example, cuttings the size of yours, in the ground for the last 8 years have resulted in 3”+ trunks (top 2), but are also nearly 6 feet wide. The nearer two are probably 3 years in the ground from cuttings.51558371-CAA6-4A68-B479-BCBF2F6074C7.jpeg

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m also a beginner and If I were you I would definitely watch this video. It’s one of my favorite videos. Click Here

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm growing mine in pots. It's a bit slower compared to ground growing. But they're gaining momentum!

fexef

Seedling
Reaction score
Air pots and calendars are not useful for growing out a juniper. If you want it to be bigger, you need to get it growing strong. Can you plant it in the ground? If so, you will start to see some noticeable thickening in year 3, but they really need to be allowed to run wild for a few years to put on some wood. As an example, cuttings the size of yours, in the ground for the last 8 years have resulted in 3”+ trunks (top 2), but are also nearly 6 feet wide. The nearer two are probably 3 years in the ground from cuttings.
Thanks for the answer. Sadly I dont really have a opportunity to plant them in to the ground, at least not where I would be able to water the tree regulary. That´s why I thought about switching to bigger Pots.

fexef

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m also a beginner and If I were you I would definitely watch this video. It’s one of my favorite videos. Click Here
Thanks I already watched this video a few times, but for my trees to get to this level they will need a few years. So I was wondering what would be the best steps to get good growth.

fexef

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm growing mine in pots. It's a bit slower compared to ground growing. But they're gaining momentum!
Nice, what kind of soil are you using? I just find recommendations for cuttings, or older trees, but not for 2-5years. I thought about using a perlite cocopeat mix but I am not really sure whats good.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use black peat with a naturally low pH, combined with pine bark flakes and some potting soil.
Cocopeat and perlite would be a good medium too. I just have issues with cocopeat and watering. Tried for over a decade and never got it right.

I love peat because it buffers the soil pH a great deal and keeps nutrients available.
These organic mixtures however, require way less watering than bonsai soils. So that's a thing to keep in mind when researching care for these plants.

I can tell you in advance that whips this size are usually off to a slow start. So don't expect too much until year two or three. Mine are entering year two (or maybe three already?) of being in their pot. Easy does it!

fexef

Seedling
Reaction score
I use black peat with a naturally low pH, combined with pine bark flakes and some potting soil.
Cocopeat and perlite would be a good medium too. I just have issues with cocopeat and watering. Tried for over a decade and never got it right.

I love peat because it buffers the soil pH a great deal and keeps nutrients available.
These organic mixtures however, require way less watering than bonsai soils. So that's a thing to keep in mind when researching care for these plants.

I can tell you in advance that whips this size are usually off to a slow start. So don't expect too much until year two or three. Mine are entering year two (or maybe three already?) of being in their pot. Easy does it!
Thanks for the tips that´s good to know. What was the problem with watering Cocopeat?
Also I heard that Junipers like sphagnum moss, is that right, and if, would it be usefull to add a little to the mix?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips that´s good to know. What was the problem with watering Cocopeat?
If I knew, I wouldn't have a problem with it. For some reason I can never find the right balance. Other people have no issues with that, so it's surely a personal thing.

fexef

Seedling
Reaction score
If I knew, I wouldn't have a problem with it. For some reason I can never find the right balance. Other people have no issues with that, so it's surely a personal thing.
Haha makes sense. Okay thanks I will try my luck with bigger pots and perlit cocopeat mix. Would you remove all the old soil before repotting or just put it all together in a new one?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Most junipers this age can handle bare rooting. But why risk losing a couple weeks or a month of development? Why not risk a couple weeks or a month, if it's not going to matter on the long run of a couple years? The choice is totally yours.

Top Bottom