Young JBP - Any Hope?

girv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I bought this JBP over the summer for ~$15 online and as I am only 1-2 years into the hobby figured doing less was better and immediately planted it in the ground. After doing a lot more research, it seems like sometimes even JBP material this young can be a bit hopeless for bonsai. Right away I noticed first growth is really high up, and wouldn't be surprised if there are a few other things I haven't thought of.

So... Feedback on if this is worth the effort? If so, where should I start?

Or just go buy better stock as I often see is the correct move?

Attachments

• IMG_9756.jpg
    IMG_9756.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9758.jpg
    IMG_9758.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 61

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First, yes, you should buy better stock, as that tree will take years in the ground before amounting to anything. Second, since it is so young, you could wire the trunk and set some nice movement now for the future. If you are worried about the branches being too high up... well, that depends on your final design, how tall the final tree will be and so forth. By wiring some curves on the trunk, you can also make those branches to appear coming out closer to the trunk line. Just remember: developing this tree will require trunk chops in the future, so the low branches will become new trunk leaders. Good luck!

girv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First, yes, you should buy better stock, as that tree will take years in the ground before amounting to anything. Second, since it is so young, you could wire the trunk and set some nice movement now for the future. If you are worried about the branches being too high up... well, that depends on your final design, how tall the final tree will be and so forth. By wiring some curves on the trunk, you can also make those branches to appear coming out closer to the trunk line. Just remember: developing this tree will require trunk chops in the future, so the low branches will become new trunk leaders. Good luck!

I am OK with that, I have the tree so might as well do something with it. If I were to wire and trunk chop as you laid out, anything I should be doing now? (New England, 6a) Or wait till spring/longer?

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am OK with that, I have the tree so might as well do something with it. If I were to wire and trunk chop as you laid out, anything I should be doing now? (New England, 6a) Or wait till spring/longer?
Based on the apparrent size and age, i would wire the bottom 12 inches for movement at this time. Plan on a repot to spread and work with roots in the early spring. Do not cut at this point let it grow. Begin to think sacrifice branches and sacrifice leaders, not trunk chopping!
Start doing some research on developing young Pines. Articles contained in Bonsai Nut ( Search function) , archives of Bonsai Tonight ( Jonas's Dupuich). Articles on Brent Walstons site, Articles printed in Golden Statements by Eric Schrader.
Of course you can always buy more promising or more advanced material. It helps to learn what to do with it before starting. A lot of promising material falls prey to misguided advice and premature cuts.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would probably wire it now or in early spring. If you leave it in the ground you will need to keep an eye on the wire. It will probably start to bite in by June if the tree is growing well.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’m assuming your tree’s growth is slowing down as you head into winter so I too think that now is an ideal time to get some wire on the trunk down low and develop some movement (the lower you can get the bends to begin, the better). Doing it now maximises the amount of time your tree has to set in position before growth starts again in Spring and the wire begins to bite in. Once your done with the wire, you’ve got a few months to read up on what you plan to do with it next! ??

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much hope there is for any baby tree. Only inspiration needed to shape for any future style/aspiration. Imperative to make first moves in immediate future and if having yard space suggest growing in ground in grow(or rootmaker)bag to develop larger trunk and bark pretty quick;). Three/5 years maybe and could be put in development pot. If is JBP can be pretty good tree you would not recognize in 8-10 years.

Last edited:

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
All trees start out small. You're already a year ahead of the hundreds of trees started for the six year black pine contest! :)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a few trees/sticks like that. Good material to find out how pines behave.
There's always better stock somewhere, but I believe its better to screw up a few times on something less significant than on important and expensive projects.
It might or might not become a bonsai, but it will always be a good source of practical information.

Top Bottom