Young JBP, ground grow

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd like to grow a JBP but they are pricey, so I bought two ~16" - 20" small trees from evergreenplantnursery. I am going to put them in the ground for a few years. What are some tips to get a nice fat trunk during this time?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You didn't find your answers in the Pines forum? I'm pretty sure its all there already.
Also, you should look at the thread "A Few Pine Seeds Six Years Later' to see what kind of fun you might have without ground planting.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
vario, the most important thing to consider (apart from all the technical things: soil, aspect, root prep, root cutting etc etc) is to allow full growth without touching it much but at the same time to always have a smaller weaker growth ready to replace what you cut off every 2 or 3 years. If you don't do that you will end up with a massive trunk but no taper or branches to work with. I can't state it strongly enough that this is the most important thing.

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I checked out the thread osoyoung mentioned and it was very interesting. One question I have is if I remove the taproot on these 1.5 foot tall young trees, will I produce the radial root pattern described or will this kill the tree? I was thinking more of a conventional strategy, such as wiring the base for nebari and placing the tree on top of a tile in the ground for several years.

vario, the most important thing to consider (apart from all the technical things: soil, aspect, root prep, root cutting etc etc) is to allow full growth without touching it much but at the same time to always have a smaller weaker growth ready to replace what you cut off every 2 or 3 years. If you don't do that you will end up with a massive trunk but no taper or branches to work with. I can't state it strongly enough that this is the most important thing.
Do you mean I should trim the leader every 2-3 years but have a few smaller branches ready to assume leadership? This would restrict the height but fatten the trunk?
When should I wire? I read somewhere around 3 years old should be wired.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cutting the "tap root" won't kill the tree. In nature, the tap root serves as an anchor. In bonsai, we tie trees into pots using wire to act as an anchor.

So, we want radial roots, not tap roots.

There's lots of information on growing young JBP. The problem is, if you don't know how to manage Pines, which takes some experience hand on, you might not understand what the instructions are saying. And, a lot of what you do early on has a large effect on what you can do with the tree years later.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just make you aware that while it sounds simple to grow a JBP from a seedling, is not.

It's a catch-22: to do it right, you need experience doing it. Thing is, you won't know if you did it right until a decade has passed!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMG_20170421_184650135.jpgIMG_20170421_184635218.jpg
Cutting the "tap root" won't kill the tree. In nature, the tap root serves as an anchor. In bonsai, we tie trees into pots using wire to act as an anchor.

There's lots of information on growing young JBP. The problem is, if you don't know how to manage Pines, which takes some experience hand on, you might not understand what the instructions are saying. And, a lot of what you do early on has a large effect on what you can do with the tree years later.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just make you aware that while it sounds simple to grow a JBP from a seedling, is not.

It's a catch-22: to do it right, you need experience doing it. Thing is, you won't know if you did it right until a decade has passed!
I don't know who is the judge on doing it 'right' or wrong. I took a couple of my 8 year old black pine that I want to post up to see if I did it wrong. Am pretty sure, I did it wrong to your standard but I wonder what others think.

Last edited:

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Okay thanks. Only way to learn I think is to dive right in and start making some mistakes, then learn from the mistakes, not to repeat them, apply the learning to the next attempt.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only way to learn I think is to dive right in and start making some mistakes, then learn from the mistakes, not to repeat them, apply the learning to the next attempt.
I could not agree more!

Plan, do, check, act. Do until always.

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 142488View attachment 142486
I don't know who is the judge on doing it 'right' or wrong. I took a couple of my 8 year old black pine that I want to post up to see if I did it wrong. Am pretty sure, I did it wrong to your standard but I wonder what others think.
Looks great. Has it been in the pond planter its whole life? Since I bought two pines, I might do one in a pond planter, one in the ground, just to experiment.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks great. Has it been in the pond planter its whole life? Since I bought two pines, I might do one in a pond planter, one in the ground, just to experiment.
It has been in a cut off gallon size for I think about 4 years then pond basket for another 4. I have quite a few in the same batch that has been in the basket the entire time. I could have have a bigger trunk if I employ the sacrifice trunk technique but I didn't because I want smaller trees. I don't see the right or wrong in growing these. If you can keep them alive for a few years then you will have a pretty decent trees. The only thing I want to mention here is if you want curvy trunk then wire them while the still young. Good luck

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I checked out the thread osoyoung mentioned and it was very interesting. One question I have is if I remove the taproot on these 1.5 foot tall young trees, will I produce the radial root pattern described or will this kill the tree? I was thinking more of a conventional strategy, such as wiring the base for nebari and placing the tree on top of a tile in the ground for several years.

Do you mean I should trim the leader every 2-3 years but have a few smaller branches ready to assume leadership? This would restrict the height but fatten the trunk?
When should I wire? I read somewhere around 3 years old should be wired.
Yes exactly what I'm saying but as for wiring, usually not necessary until you pot it. You can do a lot with judicious pruning. For example, if you look at namnhi's tree, you could let that grow until the trunk was say 4 times as thick and then cut it off at the first branch. That now becomes the trunk. Let that grow until it's as thick as you want then cut to one of the small side buds you see now which by that time will be branches. And so on and so forth. You will end up with nice angular material and plenty of branches to work with. If you prefer more rounded lines then wire but remember that wire slows growth.
In other words, you are replacing the leader by removing it completely not just trimming it. of course if you are very good at planning, you can just trim the leader with a view to removing it later and this will speed the growth even more.

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I remove the current leader entirely, will the new leader suddenly start growing much faster as the tree focuses its energy on it?

If I reduce but not completely remove the current leader, will that secondary branch start to grow faster than it was before but slower than if I completely removed the old leader?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I remove the current leader entirely, will the new leader suddenly start growing much faster as the tree focuses its energy on it?

If I reduce but not completely remove the current leader, will that secondary branch start to grow faster than it was before but slower than if I completely removed the old leader?
Trees don't focus anything - they respond to conditions.

The only energy in trees is carbohydrates produced by the foliage. There is a hormone, auxin, produced by branch tips which stimulates root growth, but tends to suppress buds (could-be apical meristems) below. It has a particularly strong effect in pines such that the highest apical meristem dominates and suppresses the activity of everything below it (hence the natural conical form).

Your sacrifice leader has been doing this. When you remove it, the next highest branch tip will take over that role. It is up to chance if all of your branches are about the same height, so raise the tip of the one you want to be the new leader. Then, as before, make sure it has plenty of foliage AND that it doesn't shade your lower branches.

Make sense?

Just raise the tip of the branch you want to be the new sacrifice to be the highest one.

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

The only energy in trees is carbohydrates produced by the foliage. There is a hormone, auxin, produced by branch tips which stimulates root growth, but tends to suppress buds (could-be apical meristems) below. It has a particularly strong effect in pines such that the highest apical meristem dominates and suppresses the activity of everything below it (hence the natural conical form).

Your sacrifice leader has been doing this. When you remove it, the next highest branch tip will take over that role. It is up to chance if all of your branches are about the same height, so raise the tip of the one you want to be the new leader. Then, as before, make sure it has plenty of foliage AND that it doesn't shade your lower branches.

Make sense?

Just raise the tip of the branch you want to be the new sacrifice to be the highest one.
Not just cutting the end of the branch off, but actually elevating another branch above it. Thanks very interesting.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Make sense?

Oso young has this right. The highest tip will usually grow the fastest.

This is why low sacrifice branches rarely have any effect as to thickening the lower trunk. They aren't the highest. Now, if you can make a low branch become the highest, by wiring or staking it up, then the tree will send most of the growth towards it, and it will start thickening the lower trunk. The problem then becomes that when it's time to remove the low sacrifice branch, you'll have a scar on the lower trunk.

A combination of a little wiring and the repeated grow and chop method MichaelS described works the best.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now, if you can make a low branch become the highest, by wiring or staking it up, then the tree will send most of the growth towards it, and it will start thickening the lower trunk.
Since we're personifying trees, the highest branch tip tells the rest of the tree, 'hey, I've got this' so the rest of the tree lets it produce most of the growth ...

Still silly, but more like what is actually going on. Trees, don't send stuff. They don't use FED-X, UPS, snail-mail or email. They do, however, fart a bit of ethylene when you pinch them.

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks this is giving me a lot of ideas to work from, also things that will apply to the two junipers I am planning. I really appreciate the help, felt lost before but now its making more sense.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
...........Trees, don't send stuff. They don't use FED-X, UPS, snail-mail or email. They do, however, fart a bit of ethylene when you pinch them.

Not only ethylene, but a whole assortment of complex sesquiterpines too, a second group of chemical signals that allow tress to "talk" to each other.

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got the two pines today. I may put one in the ground and the other in a pond planter to experiment.
The pines are about 18" tall. They came with potting soil around the roots, with the roots in plastic baggies.

I put them into clay pots for now with minimal disruption to the root balls because I didn't want to leave them in baggies.

For the pond planter pine, should I remove bare root it and remove tap root, then put it in bonsai soil mix (equal parts napa 8822, lava rock, gravel) ? Or should I put the root ball with much of the original soil attached into the bonsai mix?

For the ground pine I was going to just put it in the ground on top of a tile.

Here are the JBPs.

japanese black pine young.JPG

Also, obviously not pine or coniferous but here are some maple seedlings I grabbed from around the yard for some experiments.
maple seedlings.JPG

Last edited:

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also instead of a tile, I am considering burying a colander full of bonsai soil and putting the pine into it, based on what I saw on bonsai iligan

Last edited:
Top Bottom