Young Shohin Cascade In Training

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Vance.......Yes, you are right... Truth is........ All the down growing floiage and branches have already been removed. What you are seeing in the pic is young foliage that is kind of hanging.. The first thing I do when I get a new juniper is to remove all down growing foliage and all foliage growing in the crevaces..... I do highly apreciate your advice though....

Also, I respect your work very much Vance. You never have to hold back and try to address my work in a manner that you might think I might take offense to.... I welcome your comments openly because they are always in the best interests of the future of the tree..Thanks again

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Dead on Vance, shimpaku are one of the few trees that can look better with thinned out foliage as opposed to thick pads. Still a very nice tree Rob.

Harry

Not only is it an appearance issue it is also a maintenance problem. If you allow the pad on a Shimp to get too thick, and they will naturally, you start to lose interior branching. In order to keep the inside growth healthy you have to resist the temptation to allow all of that natural padding. So in short the good thing about Shimpakus is also their Achilles heel. It is possible to negelct a Shimp for a year and have it look like you spent every day, all day pinching the little sucker when in fact it did it all by its lone-some.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Not only is it an appearance issue it is also a maintenance problem. If you allow the pad on a Shimp to get too thick, and they will naturally, you start to lose interior branching. In order to keep the inside growth healthy you have to resist the temptation to allow all of that natural padding. So in short the good thing about Shimpakus is also their Achilles heel. It is possible to negelct a Shimp for a year and have it look like you spent every day, all day pinching the little sucker when in fact it did it all by its lone-some.

An Itowaga will look good with foliage on leggy branches, one of the few trees that don't look as good full, as folliage on the interior of a JBP. Shimpaku look good without it.

Harry

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Unless you are Suthin Sukosolvisit....... The people that know his work regard him as a master of the craft.... In fact, it has been said that his shohins are unparalleled in some circles. Harry, if you love beutiful bonsai. You may want to aquire a tree from this master...

Rob...

Attachments

• AfterPhoto1130092942[1].jpg
    AfterPhoto1130092942[1].jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 53
  • welcome[1].jpg
    welcome[1].jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 64

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Unless you are Suthin Sukosolvisit....... The people that know his work regard him as a master of the craft.... In fact, it has been said that his shohins are unparalleled in some circles. Harry, if you love beutiful bonsai. You may want to aquire a tree from this master...

Rob...

I would love onr of his trees, but I'm afraid he is out of business, so I've been told. He now takes care of a private collection of 1500 trees.

Ciao,
Harry

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hello Vance.......Yes, you are right... Truth is........ All the down growing floiage and branches have already been removed. What you are seeing in the pic is young foliage that is kind of hanging.. The first thing I do when I get a new juniper is to remove all down growing foliage and all foliage growing in the crevaces..... I do highly apreciate your advice though....

Also, I respect your work very much Vance. You never have to hold back and try to address my work in a manner that you might think I might take offense to.... I welcome your comments openly because they are always in the best interests of the future of the tree..Thanks again

Rob

Thank you very much for your kind words.

mahler365

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice tree. I like what you've got going!

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ahh Rob I see what you were talking about with the rock idea.
It does add to the look of your tree. Nice touch BonsaiNut.
I'll have to add this idea to the many for my Pine. :)

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only question now, is what kind 'o' ROCK? right on BNut!

nice progress rob.

-Dave

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Tim, yes, the rock can make a big difference visually....

p.s. Thanks for the compliment HotAction...

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Harry....... Even though Suthin in not really operating his nursery anymore....You may be able to purchase some trees from him..... He still had a ton of incredible specimens the last year he was open.

Suthin was my first bonsai teacher.......I visited his nursery about once or twice a month when it was open... The shonins that I saw at his place where some of, if not the most incredible shohins I have even seen..

Here are a few of his shohins...

Rob

Attachments

• AfterPhoto1064949619[1].jpg
    AfterPhoto1064949619[1].jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 43
  • AfterPhoto1061135493[1].jpg
    AfterPhoto1061135493[1].jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 44
  • welcome1[1].jpg
    welcome1[1].jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 42
  • welcome.jpg
    welcome.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 43

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thought I'd bump this thread. Ran across October's first post lol.

If you still have this tree, I'd love to see how it looks now.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this thread. Ran across October's first post lol.

If you still have this tree, I'd love to see how it looks now.

Thank you for asking. I sold this tree last Summer. This was one of the last pics taken before selling it. The red pot it was in, ended up cracking. So the tree was put back into the brown pot before it was sold.

Rob

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for asking. I sold this tree last Summer. This was one of the last pics taken before selling it. The red pot it was in, ended up cracking. So the tree was put back into the brown pot before it was sold.

Rob

/QUOTE]
Just a beautiful tree. Thanks for the progression.

Top Bottom