Young tips drying up on procumbens juniper

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a procumbens juniper I’ve had for about 2 years that has some new growing tips that are drying up. It had a light scale infestation this past fall, for which I did 2 dormant horticultural oil sprays, early winter, then early spring before bud break. It had been looking great with very healthy looking new foliage all over. A week or so ago I did another oil spray for good measure. I left it in the shade for a day, then put it back to its normal spot. I am thinking I put it back in the sun too fast which scorched the young tips. I have 2 other junipers that I sprayed as well, but were not affected. I left them in the shade for another day unintentionally.

Another difference is that this juniper is still in a mostly organic mix, so I suppose it is possible that it is getting too much water. The damage is highly localized, with some tips on the same branch fine, but others drying up. If anyone recognizes this or has any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

846E1EFE-2353-4F0E-B5C1-48656862C952.jpegE8C01040-2CB4-4247-A81D-27D5D56D2BB5.jpegB75230D0-45F6-4F97-98E1-B14EB59E135A.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bit of a curl says tip blight to me.

They don't have time to stick chopsticks in soil at commercial nurseries, so everything just gets kept well watered. The fact then, that there is still a nursery trade, tells us wet organic soil is absolutely no problem for a juniper!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Id cut the tips off, cutting a few centimetres back into the live leaves where the dead parts end. Use hydrogen peroxide to wipe your shears after each cut to help prevent the blight (if thats what this is) from spreading to healthy leaves. Then treat the whole plant with mancozeb - thats a great fungicide for juniper tip blight and its relatively mild as far as chemicals go.

Reaction score
I have a procumbens juniper I’ve had for about 2 years that has some new growing tips that are drying up. It had a light scale infestation this past fall, for which I did 2 dormant horticultural oil sprays, early winter, then early spring before bud break. It had been looking great with very healthy looking new foliage all over. A week or so ago I did another oil spray for good measure. I left it in the shade for a day, then put it back to its normal spot. I am thinking I put it back in the sun too fast which scorched the young tips. I have 2 other junipers that I sprayed as well, but were not affected. I left them in the shade for another day unintentionally.

Another difference is that this juniper is still in a mostly organic mix, so I suppose it is possible that it is getting too much water. The damage is highly localized, with some tips on the same branch fine, but others drying up. If anyone recognizes this or has any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

View attachment 305744View attachment 305745View attachment 305746
Any updates? I’m getting something similar on my procumbens nana

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I pinched the tips and am observing to see if the damage continues. After a week or so I am not seeing further tip death so far. If I do I will cutback again and treat with mancozeb.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Use hydrogen peroxide to wipe your shears after each cut to help prevent the blight (if thats what this is) from spreading to healthy leaves.

Alcohol (if you can find it) is much less caustic on your tools, and more effective in sanitizing (at least w/ a quick wipe).

Top Bottom