Young tree gone wild

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all... This is a young shimpaku that was originally a stick in pot. I had trained this tree for a little over 4 years. However, over the last 1 1/2-2 years, especially since the wire came off, the tree has just gone completely wild. I reworked the whole tree. Pic 1 in the original front after it went wild, pic 2 is the tree's back which will become the front. Also, I rotated the tree a bit more. I wrapped the tree in self adhesive tape and did some bending. Pics 2 and 3 is where the tree is now.. Much better shohin proportions now.. 9 inches tall with a 2 inch base.

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2 007.jpg
    pictures2 007.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 152
  • pictures2 009.jpg
    pictures2 009.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 144
  • cas10.jpg
    cas10.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 138
  • cas11.jpg
    cas11.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 198

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Very nice tree. Nice job of wiring, too.

If it were mine, I'd shorten the apex. To me, it seems to dominate the tree. I can give you a virt if you want, but no problem if you don't.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you jkl... I know what you mean about the apex.. Actually, one of the reasons for making the former back of the tree the front, was because of the apex. I took a small branch and created this apex which is about 2 inches lower than the old apex. The way the tree is structured however, there was not really any other candidates for a good apex. Notice in the pics, there are just these tiny branches with foliage only on one plane, none on the top or bottom of the branches. I would still like to see your virt though. At this point, since the tree is so small, I have actually become used to the informal/cascade cross style. I guess it makes the tree a little different or stand out from the norm.

Also, I look forward to your virt...Actually, it was one of your virts from a little over a year ago that I applied to another tree of mine..an arborvitae literati..and I am very happy with the direction the tree is going... see pics

Rob

Attachments

• Copy of pictures2 086.jpg
    Copy of pictures2 086.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 93
  • pictures2 053.jpg
    pictures2 053.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 74

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice little literati :p

Here's what I think you should consider. Combination styles usually don't work.

Attachments

• jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 94

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice work, October. I like the tree-pot combination. I think it is very important to keep the foliage on the skinny side, which makes the trunk and branch structure more visible. As soon as the foliage over-grows the tree, the image looses some of its impact.

The only thing I would improve, is to bring some of the top foliage in front, so that the upper part of the trunk line will be partially covered by the foliage. That will add depth to the tree, and make the image more natural and interesting. In general, when the front part is completely naked, the image becomes somewhat two-dimensional (flat). But this problem is very easy to fix.

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks jkl..Altough I do like the virt.. It is a little too drastic for me:)

Hello and thansk Attila.. What you said about the apex are my thoughts exactly. The tree did not have enough foliage to accomodate this at this time. Actually, the apex is a branch that was brought almost completely forward. At this point, instead of moving things, the foliage will grow into that area and make a nicely filled in apex within about 1 1/2 - 2 years. The current image is a tree taken to bare bones so it can grow into a nicely structured shohin.:)

Rob

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... the foliage will grow into that area and make a nicely filled in apex within about 1 1/2 - 2 years. The current image is a tree taken to bare bones so it can grow into nicely structured shohin.:)

Rob

Yes, it will fill out in a year or two (rather two).

edro

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it looks awesome as it is.
I do not think the apex is too large.

Reaction score
I would have to agree with those that say to leave it like it is... I like it and think the proportions are correct... compared to the first two pics, you have tighten it up and have removed what needed to be removed and left that which didn't... nice job!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks edros and stacy. It is a nice little young tree in training. I think out of the last 5 years, it was this season that the tree has started to greatly improve. It will look better when I get the tape off it next year, carve a little shari and just let the tree age for a few more years.:)

Rob

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree. I have disagree about removing the apex. I do think it might be better to pull it down to lower the height.
Paul

Top Bottom