Your biggest bonsai mistake

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This might be fun... what, if you had to start over again, would you do differently? If you could re-do or undo one thing, what would it be?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well lately it was reading the "Is nothing safe" thread!

Previously it was taking a beautiful tree from the wilderness and killing it buy being unprepared, impatient and overenthusiastic.
By all means "Hunt the tree" but treat it with respect and care. Do it right or don't do it.

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything from 2013 (when I started) until about two years ago. EVERYTHING!
Now I've got it more or less figured out.
On another topic, I can keep my Juniper inside, right? All I've gotta do is hot glue enough rocks to the pot🤣

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I regret seeing endless amounts of potential in trees that basically resemble pencils! I also wish I would have worked a bit slower on my beginning trees and spared their innocent lives. 🙏 R.I.P

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In the early 2000's I fried all my trees in a make shift cold frame over Winter
except the ones that were small and left on the plastic lining the bottom where water collected.
Then there's the dwarf EWP I over worked that had been in the ground 10 years which then died...
or my 1st JBP that I got a diagnosis on too late for needle cast, died and now shares the spores with my other 2 needle pines.
Nope, I think the cold frame was it. My biggest mistake. Some nice junipers would be here now and at least 25 yrs old.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Does this, to you, mean buying better trees/material to begin with?
Yes, and that doesn't mean starting out with $$$ material, because that's stupid for a beginner. That being said, you can get some really nice pre-bonsai from Wigert's for $25, not a huge investment.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Being too agressive to get trees ready for a show. Killed a huge bald cypress by trimming "just a few more roots" to get it into a smaller pot.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not starting as a teenager.

I feel this one. I've been interested for decades but my first attempts 20 years ago were doomed and there just wasn't the level of accessible information that there is now.

Putting effort, often daily, into something which can just die after 10 years is also terrifying. It took me some level of wisdom and perspective to get over that fear.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Leaving the energized bonsai scene of Sonoma County and ending up on a rock in the middle of the Pacific with marginal, dated bonsai activity.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
About 20 yrs ago a long time club member and friend passed who had purchased a mature Japanese White Pine of Zuishio cultivar. I think he'd had it for about a decade with literally nothing done to it, not even wired. It stood in the pot about 85cm as a nearly formal upright specimen. I paid a ton of money for it in the 4 digits zone. I was working and making good money and had about 20 yrs in with bonsai so I knew how to take care of such etc. etc. Winter was just around the corner and I knew WHEN I bought it that it was badly in need of re-potting. I hesitated simply because I re-pot pines in the late Spring season in MI where I was at that time in my life. Well, come Spring and this spectacular Zuishio worth more a few house payments (PS I lived in an upscale area of MI at that time...LOL) simply did not wake up. The roots had rotted as I suspected when I bought it and it should have been re-potted ON THE SPOT! Well now i've confessed and told you what not to do: When bonsai need either water or re-pot it is not something that can be put off. Up until that time I'd never even considered 'buying' a bonsai let alone one of this caliber. But the opportunity presented itself with his estate selling off all his trees so I blundered this one and frankly I paid too much for it anyhow....LOL.

Top Bottom