Your favorite tree documentaries?

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m looking for some new tree documentaries - specifically I would love to come across some David-Attenborough-Style documentaries specifically about trees. These types of documentaries are very difficult to find. And I’ve completely given up on finding a great bonsai documentary.
I’ve watched the series “Rooted” from Smithsonian which was really cool - I’d love to find more similar.
What are your favorite tree documentaries?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I remember a streaming service called curiosity stream being the only one that offered Invisible nature, which is a series about plants. It's 3 episodes if memory serves me right, albeit a bit old and poor quality. Oak tree: natures greatest survivor contains some pretty neat stats about how much foliage a large tree produces, how branches develop and stuff like that, but it's superficial. Secret Life underground is not that good, it too scratches the surface but that's about it.

Most of the documentaries I've found are terribly outdated.

Even BBC Life episode 9, titled Plants, was kind of a let down. Especially if you watch the making of; it shows why all those plants look so photoshopped.. It's because they are..
It's weird when you think about it, there are at least 90 film crews in the African Savannah at all times, to capture big cats that are played back to back on natgeo and discovery (if they even broadcast nature shows). There's nothing they haven't taped, there's nothing they haven't seen, there's nothing about those animals that isn't documented. Yet they're still there, full time.
But filming plants, basically setting up a camera and checking it weekly, is almost too much to ask. Even for the BBC.

If every documentary covers nephentes, venus fly traps, drosera, baobabs, cacti, the trembling giant / pando and some bristlecones, then you've seen it all after a single watch.

Sorry man, we're just fans of organisms everybody likes to watch but nobody wants to film.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Are you familiar with the G Potter diaries on youtube? 🤔🤓

or Ryan Neil, Mount Mirai on nat geo🤔

Last edited:

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I remember a streaming service called curiosity stream being the only one that offered Invisible nature, which is a series about plants. It's 3 episodes if memory serves me right, albeit a bit old and poor quality. Oak tree: natures greatest survivor contains some pretty neat stats about how much foliage a large tree produces, how branches develop and stuff like that, but it's superficial. Secret Life underground is not that good, it too scratches the surface but that's about it.

Most of the documentaries I've found are terribly outdated.

Even BBC Life episode 9, titled Plants, was kind of a let down. Especially if you watch the making of; it shows why all those plants look so photoshopped.. It's because they are..
It's weird when you think about it, there are at least 90 film crews in the African Savannah at all times, to capture big cats that are played back to back on natgeo and discovery (if they even broadcast nature shows). There's nothing they haven't taped, there's nothing they haven't seen, there's nothing about those animals that isn't documented. Yet they're still there, full time.
But filming plants, basically setting up a camera and checking it weekly, is almost too much to ask. Even for the BBC.

If every documentary covers nephentes, venus fly traps, drosera, baobabs, cacti, the trembling giant / pando and some bristlecones, then you've seen it all after a single watch.

Sorry man, we're just fans of organisms everybody likes to watch but nobody wants to film.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen all of these except the Oak Tree one - I’ll see if I can find it. But sadly I think the conclusion is valid - there really aren’t any great tree documentaries. I imagine like a whole series narrated by David Attenborough following different trees from seed to ancient and barely hanging on. But this will remain a dream I suppose.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Thanks, I’ll look them up! These don’t ring any bells off the top of my head so I’m hopeful!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

So Ryan Neil is Bonsai Mirai - I didn’t realize. So I am familiar. And I’m not finding anything for G Potter Diaries... 🤔

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m looking for some new tree documentaries - specifically I would love to come across some David-Attenborough-Style documentaries specifically about trees. These types of documentaries are very difficult to find. And I’ve completely given up on finding a great bonsai documentary.
I’ve watched the series “Rooted” from Smithsonian which was really cool - I’d love to find more similar.
What are your favorite tree documentaries?
David Attenborough is such a legend. I can honestly say I have never failed to enjoy a documentary narrated in his iconic tones. It’s going to be a sad time when he departs, he is getting on a bit now. I would not be surprised if 2020 claimed him just to add to its depressing reign of terror.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
David Attenborough is such a legend. I can honestly say I have never failed to enjoy a documentary narrated in his iconic tones. It’s going to be a sad time when he departs, he is getting on a bit now. I would not be surprised if 2020 claimed him just to add to its depressing reign of terror.
I absolutely agree.
A beautiful human.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There's a movie about mycorrhiza I think, but I can't recall the name of it

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There's a movie about mycorrhiza I think, but I can't recall the name of it
Is it a movie? Or a TED talk about how trees "talk"to each other trough mycorrhiza?

Top Bottom