Your Plant ID Mobile App Reviews, Please

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Now days there's an app for just about everything, but not all apps are created equal.

I've tried a couple of different plant/tree identification apps, for example, and one really only worked on flowers, but not so well on trees (at least native trees in my area), while another didn't seem to work on anything at all after I updated my security/privacy settings (data mining much?).
I have a new phone since then, so I don't recall which ones I tried before.

Let's share and discuss which ones we've tried so that maybe we can help each other find the best apps for our individual needs and locations.
Be sure to include your mobile device OS, any unusual technical requirements of the app, and pros and cons, or strengths and shortcomings, as well as how you tested it and where.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use Picture This. It seems to work pretty well identifying plants that are commonly used in the nursery trade. It struggles with more exotic plants, or southern hemisphere plants, but will still often get you in the right family of plant. For instance, a Metrosideros (New Zealand, Pacific Islands) came back as myrtle (Murtus). They are related, but it defaulted to the more common choice. It seems to also struggle identifying pine species (as do I most of the time). I don't usually need it for trees, but often use it when my wife wants to ID a particular flower.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Picture this IS the best... but still not GREAT.. take many pictures.. to compare if using... I use it when my field guide isn’t handy.. but it’s often been wrong.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just downloaded LeafSnap for Android, and tested it with a couple pics already in my phone.
It allows you to chose between foliage, flowers, fruits or bark to identify the plant/tree either by chosing a pic on your device or accessing the camera through the app. Once you've gotten through that it gives you a list of things the algorithm believes it may be, with other pics for you to compare to.

My first attempt gave me ptelea crenulata as the first choice, but then the second one on the list was ptelea trifoliata, which I believe is more correct for my region.
My second was what I know to be an alder leaf mountain mahogany- cercocarpus montanus- but LeafSnap returned it as the fourth suggestions down the list. To be far, it was not a very clear pic, and LeafSnap's first pic was wax currant which also frequents this area and has similar leaf shape and growth habits.

The app is ad supported, so you often have to put up with 10 to 15 second videos, but I find this preferable to data mining. It's at least honest, and the only access LeafSnap requests is to your camera and images files for obvious reasons.

I'll continue testing and updating, but so far I like it.

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
PlantNet on iPhone has been pretty good for me, AND it's FREE!

I like that it gives you options to upload a picture and search specifically for leaves, bark, flowers, etc. It also gives you comparable plants that your picture might closely resemble.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
PlantNet on iPhone has been pretty good for me, AND it's FREE!

I like that it gives you options to upload a picture and search specifically for leaves, bark, flowers, etc. It also gives you comparable plants that your picture might closely resemble.
I believe most have similar setups, but I haven't checked out enough to know for sure. And I'm a cheapskate, so I don't pay for them. That leaves the developers with either ad revenue or data mining your personal information from your phone.
Don't suppose you can say what PlantNet does there? It would help out the security minded folks.

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe most have similar setups, but I haven't checked out enough to know for sure. And I'm a cheapskate, so I don't pay for them. That leaves the developers with either ad revenue or data mining your personal information from your phone.
Don't suppose you can say what PlantNet does there? It would help out the security minded folks.
I haven't made a username/password for it, though there is an option to. Haven't seen any ads pop up, and I've done around 30-35 searches maybe?

D

Deleted member 32750

I tried PlantIN and it couldn’t properly identify a single one of my bonsai. When I scanned a picture of my Japanese black pine it said it was some pine that I have never heard of and it couldn’t correctly identify my Satsuki, my tridents, or my Shimpaku

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I also use and pay for Picture This. Not perfect but better than any other app I've used for this purpose.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've never really tried any of the dedicated apps. But I do use Google Lens, which is built into my stock camera app on my OnePlus Android. If you're using iOS you can download the Google app and use it that way, I believe. I've had good results from it, at least with foliage and flowers. I've never tried it with bark.

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Has anyone tried Seek?? I'm loving it! It's designed by a scientific community so I find it to be a bit more accurate

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Has anyone tried Seek?? I'm loving it! It's designed by a scientific community so I find it to be a bit more accurate
I'll have to give it a try. The LeafSnap app I've been using apparently had a server go down a while back, and now it doesn't work for crap.

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I'll have to give it a try. The LeafSnap app I've been using apparently had a server go down a while back, and now it doesn't work for crap.
I'd be interested to hear what you think! Seek is pretty cool because it has a bunch of stuff tied to location as well: regional "challenges" for snapping shots of things near you, and having location on helps it determine what you're likely to be looking at.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There’s this ONE.. called V.A.L.I.S. ... it beams the information, coded in laser-“burst” directly to your neural pathways for interpretation...

It’s a bit pricy, but you get 30 days free.. just don’t forget.. or you’ll get billed for the year!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I was walking through Chiwaukee Prairie with a very knowledgeable friend, who knows her prairie plants better than I do. (picture that, she's scary smart) We were using both iNaturalist and Picture This side by side. The best performer was iNaturalist.

The iNaturalist was inaccurate only on a couple of plants. We also used Picture This and it was VERY WRONG quite a number of times. iNaturalist has a much higher accuracy rate and it includes a lot of distribution data that Picture This does not.

Nothing beats taking a few good images with your Android or other phone, then in the evening sitting with an ounce or two of 10 year old bourbon, neat, paging through various guides, and botanical keys, with Netflix movie on in the background.

But if one is not comfortable with using botanical keys, and or does not have plant guide books, or Botanical Flora's, I suppose iNaturalist and other identifier programs can help get you started. Just remember these programs are NOT very accurate. The better programs are maybe 80% accurate. They are better at getting to the right genus, but if there are multiple species in the same genus chances are quite high the app will get the species wrong.

Take good pictures. Note the attachment of the leaves to the stems (alternate, opposite, whorls, etc) Get a shot of twigs bark and dormant buds. Bud photos should show the pattern of the scales protecting the dormant bud. If flowers are present photos face on, side and back of flowers. Especially in Aster and Sunflower family the side view and back view of the flower is more important in figuring out identity than the face on view of the flower.

If your ears are not delicate, if you are able to hear the occasional curse without fainting, there is a really fun You Tube channel run by "Tony Santoro" - "Crime Pays, but Botany Doesn't" Tony talks like a street kid raised in the Italian-American neighborhood around Taylor Street before 1975, or "Back of da Yards", or one of the South Side Italian neighborhoods. Tony massacre's pronunciation of botanical terms, deliberately, just for fun, but he uses the terms correctly. His oldest vids started in the greater Chicago area, and it seems he occasionally adds vids when he is visiting relatives here. He lives in the Berkley-Oakland area of California, and his botanizing is mainly in the southwestern deserts of the USA. He has some very useful tutorials on using botanical keys and how to identify virtually any plant you stumble across. He was an engineer for a railroad. I believe much of his botanizing was done during forced breaks while driving a freight train from Oakland California to somewhere in Texas. Every so many hours he was required to take a break, much like truck drivers, and he'd park his train, then take a walk around the scrublands where ever he ended up.

He has since stopped working for the rail road, and just makes botany vids full time. His best stuff is Southwestern USA deserts. His trip to Australia and trip to New Caledonia are interesting. His trip to Oaxaca, Mexico includes a cameo of a very very rare Cypripedium orchid. But check his YouTube vids out, especially the tutorials on how to identify a plant you are not familiar with.

AlexJordan

Seedling
Reaction score
One popular plant identification app is called PlantSnap, which is available on both iOS and Android. This app uses advanced AI technology and claims to be able to identify over 600,000 plants worldwide. It requires access to your device's camera and location services in order to work properly. If you want to receive an individual app, you can contact smartengines.com since these guys know everything about innovative technologies and will be able to integrate them.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
iNaturalist is the sine qua non of plant (and animal) mobile identification apps. The great beauty of iNaturalist is that your observations are usually reviewed by many people who are the greatest plant geeks on the internet.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Just to say… I tried both INaturalist and PictureThis… PictureThis is beating the other one 10 times out of 10… at least when I use it in China… so sometimes with local species.

alishakihs

Seed
Reaction score
Now days there's an app for just about everything, but not all apps are created equal.

I've tried a couple of different plant/tree identification apps, for example, and one really only worked on flowers, but not so well on trees (at least native trees in my area), while another didn't seem to work on anything at all after I updated my security/privacy settings (data mining much?).
I have a new phone since then, so I don't recall which ones I tried before.

Let's share and discuss which ones we've tried so that maybe we can help each other find the best apps for our individual needs and locations.
Be sure to include your mobile device OS, any unusual technical requirements of the app, and pros and cons, or strengths and shortcomings, as well as how you tested it and where.
I found it accurate and helpful in identifying plants, including palm trees, while others reported inconsistent results. The app has a large plant database and provides additional features such as plant care tips.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found it accurate and helpful in identifying plants, including palm trees, while others reported inconsistent results. The app has a large plant database and provides additional features such as plant care tips.
NOW it does. LoL
It's gotten better since I first started using, though still only give it's best in the garden center. I'm out in the sticks allot, and getting a positive ID on native plants is pretty hit-or-miss.

Top Bottom