Your recommendation to get large buttonwood cuttings to root

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'll be collecting a couple buttonwood this spring, and would like to get some older branches rooted (if I'm lucky) as well. I'm talking about 2"-4" diameter branches.

Should they just be treating like smaller cuttings?

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It is illegal to collect Buttonwood; but you can root any size cutting by putting it into water.
Plant the tree into a pot with soil, and submerge it into water.
I would suggest waiting to do this until the middle of the summer.
Buttonwood love the heat.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Collecting buttonwood on private land is legal with permission and/or if it's your own land. I've spoken with the Florida Forestry Service regarding it. Pretty much every other form of collecting is illegal, unless you get a SUP (special use permit), which we're very unlikely to get. The collecting I'll be doing is on my land.

Sounds pretty basic, I've heard that large cuttings can root readily though so I'm glad you chimed in. I don't repot my buttonwoods until lows are above 60F consistently, so I'll be waiting for things to heat up some.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I favor an airlayer over cuttings all day. Especially if it's your land!

Better start for the old Neb Neb!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stupid response from me.
On our side we just use seeds, as they grow so fast.
Happy collecting. I understand there is a small leaf variety. We recently found a type that branches way more than the normal ones.
The natural tree shape is domes on domes with twisted bark, at around 30' in height. Think old mango trees.
The driftwood, doesn't last, as it is a magnet for termites and borers on our side.
Good Day
Anthony

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I will consider doing an air layer. Should root pretty quickly I'd imagine. What does "Neb Neb" mean?

Anthony,
I just saw a smaller or narrow leaf variety at Wigert's Bonsai Nursery a couple weeks ago. Many times these trees don't have time to create multiple domes, I see (and I'm sure you have in your location) many that bare the scars of past tropical storms and hurricanes - creating an aged, gnarly structure.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Evan,

your looking at the Blessed Island, according to the Spanish, hence the name Trini -dad [ Holy Trinity - Catholica ]

1/2 a degree out of the path of Hurricanes and no real tropical storms, just heavy rain, and strong breezes.

Back in the 80's when World Tropical Bonsai [ the magazine out of Florida ] came out. Christine Rojas, I believe. It took a trip to our local Herbarium at the University to identify the Buttonwood.
Later the few ones that were found with driftwood and were not loaded with termites, didn't survive for long or were dumped, because when they regrew, they didn't have the appeal visually of a Shimpaku.

Interest very soon fizzled out, and today, very few are even around in Bonsai form.

Which is why more interest went into the more natural shape for us, with contorted dark bark and domes.
Anywhere from 24 to 36 inches would probably give the best effect.

The cold on your side, gives and preserves the interest.

So in the future look for our side showing 5 to 6 inch contorted trunks and domes.

Our climate is very mild, domes and healthy trees are the normal situation. We look to you guys for the ancient look.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom