Your spring trimmings !!! Many Species

Reaction score
Doing some major branch trimming and cutting this spring?

Don't throw them away, We're looking for stock to make cuttings from for our 20 acre bonsai garden project. Species listed below, list will be updated a few times a week in subsequent posts on this thread.

For the next 2 weeks we are looking for:

Juniper

Kishu, & Itoigawa

Pine

Japanese Black, Japanese Red, Japanese White, Mugo, and most cultivars of those species such as Mikawa

Cypress

Hinoki & most cultivars of Hinoki

We're also buying rooted cuttings of the above species list if you have them at reasonable prices (i.e. Not retail).

Please no links or references to retailers. We have searched them all and purchased what we wanted from them already. Retail prices are too high for the scale we are doing. We're not re-selling so there is no profit margins for us to justify those high costs, everything is going into large pots and fields to grow for the next 10-20 years.

We will also pay shipping on all branch/cutting donations if you have stuff you want to donate to the garden so long as the shipping cost justifies the quantity so please contact us before you throw stuff hardy to zone 5 away.

Also, Big thanks to @JoeR for getting us a head start with Kishu Juniper's for the season. Your a gentleman and a scholar good sir !!!

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Woody Carverton everytime you post here and on Reddit I am salivating to see pics of giant fields with rows of plantings. Come on, now—just a little tease? :)

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut a bin full of Chamaecyparispisifera 'Golden Mop' today from my lanscape trees like this little one. Tomorrow is trash day so if you want some I'll pull some out. My poor Hinoki has none to spare this year.
IMG_20170218_111117464.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Woody Carverton everytime you post here and on Reddit I am salivating to see pics of giant fields with rows of plantings. Come on, now—just a little tease? :)

It's still winter here in far northern Maine, and after that last blizzard 2 weeks ago we still have 4-6 foot of snow with drifts up to 8 foot in places so the only outdoor pics i can get is snow covered everything. Last year it was Mid-April before we saw the ground here, with the snow we had this year, I am sure it will be the same this year.

Reaction score
I cut a bin full of Chamaecyparispisifera 'Golden Mop' today from my lanscape trees like this little one. Tomorrow is trash day so if you want some I'll pull some out. My poor Hinoki has none to spare this year.

Sawara cypress have a hard time making it through the winter up here for some reason, Not quite sure why the Hinoki do well and Sawara always die off but that's a lesson we learned the hard way 2 winters back. Thank you for the offer though. If that Hinoki has some to spare any time in the next 2-3 years do let us know. We will be looking for cuttings for years to come every season.

Reaction score
@Woody Carverton how about some Pinus sylvestris 'glauca nana' trimmings? (Dwarf Blue Scots Pine)

Not at this time, Thanks. We have a system in terms of planting and layout and right now we're in full on JBP catch-up mode before we can even consider anything else.

I'll keep you in mind though in the future when we get to the point we can take in stuff not on our current lists.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Woody Carverton understood. I'll have a box of Hinoki cuttings for you. I'm pretty sure they're just the standard species.

PM me the shipping info?

Reaction score
Four pounds of fresh Hinoki Cypress cuttings are in the mail :cool:

Awesome !!! My wife will get them for me when they arrive, I am actually not far from you at the moment down in Bend going through a few private collections looking for specimens before I head down to California tomorrow afternoon to browse a few more private collections.

4lbs. Whoa that's a lot of cuttings. I'm almost sad that my wife gets to see them before me.

Reaction score
Too bad you didn't want some Japanese Maples. Just diced at least six different cultivars! And at least as many brews!;)

JM's are huge in the landscape tree side of things around here and i'm pretty sure they are going to end up on the invasive species list as they have started showing up in the forest now too, I suspect from animals carrying their seeds. Needless to say, JM's were one of the first species we flushed out on at the garden.

Thanks for thinking of us though. :)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2.5 pounds of Pinus mugo cuttings are in the mail. (If these do turn out to be Pinus contorta then I will be propagating them.)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Woody Carverton how about Juniperus chinensis ‘Torulosa’, a.k.a. ‘Kaizuka’, a.k.a. Hollywood Juniper? AFAIK it is a larger and slightly more coarse Shimpaku. They look to me as acceptable to commingle; how strict are you on juniper cultivars? (I could get you up to 10 pounds of Hollywood cuttings.)

Reaction score
@Woody Carverton how about Juniperus chinensis ‘Torulosa’, a.k.a. ‘Kaizuka’, a.k.a. Hollywood Juniper? AFAIK it is a larger and slightly more coarse Shimpaku. They look to me as acceptable to commingle; how strict are you on juniper cultivars? (I could get you up to 10 pounds of Hollywood cuttings.)

Not this year. We have 2 larger trees that we got about a month ago because they were free and we want to see how they grow out up here first. Also, although pretty trees, they are a lot of work. We were thinking about using them as a trunk to graft material on as neither my wife or I or anyone else who has visited the garden in the past month like the coarse long needle like foliage. They kind of make me think of what a japanese white pine would look like if it had scale foliage.

We'll see how the 2 we got last month fair for the next year, and if they do well and you still have access we may take you up on that offer next year.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Huh, it sounds to me like we are describing different cultivars, @Woody Carverton. I'll take another look at those junipers, maybe snap some photos, and report back.

Reaction score
no shit huh???? I'm near Augusta. And @LanceMac10 if you haven't compost piled the JM's I'd take em off ya. I'll be headed down 495 Tues morn

You get 10 miles north of Bangor and its like you traveled to a different continent. I was down in Portland last week and it seemed like early summer more than winter when up in the county we're about to get another blizzard and down to -6 this weekend yet again.

Augusta huh. Maybe we'll have to get together this summer and shoot the breeze about bonsai. We do a lot of cook-outs over the summer if you ever want to make the drive up to the county, or i get down to August a few times a year over the summer.

Edit: also, if your looking for JM's we can hook you up this summer, we have thousands of them. Bloodgood, Orange Dream, Arikawa, LaceLeaf, etc. Also Tridents and Amur.

Top Bottom