Your Vegetable Garden

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatcha Growin?

We got 2 rows of corn in front and back....asparagus...mad beets again...carrots ...tomatoes... Herbs...cauliflower watermelon lettuce eggplant peas cucumber x2 squash x3 the jackolantern pumpkins from last year and......

The 300# pumpkin....is doing the best!20180512_080851.jpg

And strawberries.
X2 and the wild ones...

Bout to get a dog built to kill squirrels.
And cats.
And snakes
And hawks and ferrets and links(minks but ok typer! Lynx too and Oh monks too! Sure!) and bobcats and more snakes.
And an owl.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I finally used my 2 year brewed compost in this bed.. Sprung on a couple bags from the depot too....mad fish and gardentone.

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For me, just heirloom tomatoes, bell peppers, and tomatillos. I bought them from seed savers and HIGHLY reccomend them, non-GMO and the best tomatoes I’ve ever had. The “Cherokee Purple” and “Iglehearts Yellow Cherry” both have grown excellent here and are the most flavorful. Plus you can keep the seeds from a fruit for the next year. Every. Single. Seed. Sprouts. So I had over twice the amount I meant to have, sent some packing to my coworkers...

Attachments

• 4077715D-4C22-4030-9974-B855B80BF3A7.jpeg
    4077715D-4C22-4030-9974-B855B80BF3A7.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 23

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And some of my maters last year before the caterpillar epidemic? I swear organic gardening is literally impossible.

Attachments

• DF70A8D2-C49F-4695-B186-503F1E2357E4.jpeg
    DF70A8D2-C49F-4695-B186-503F1E2357E4.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 25

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh and with the extra tomatoes and all of the tomatillos we make and can salsa to preserve them and have a continuous supply of amazing salsa, really can’t go wrong with free fresh produce.

And side note, trying to grow onions and romanesco is frustrating and not worth the effort. The romanesco did grow nice and big, but has yet to make anything edible so far. Snow peas are on the right, I didn’t have time to pick them continuously so they crapped out on me. A shame, I really like them.

Attachments

• A272BD97-9473-479C-955F-FDC247544222.jpeg
    A272BD97-9473-479C-955F-FDC247544222.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 25

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been mainly growing herbs such as Chinese artichoke (Stachys affinis), Vicks plant (Plectranthus tomentosa), Gynura procumbens (Lour) Merr. (rau bầu đất), etc.
Bonhe

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Basil. and Roma, organically -------- the best
The growing zone is 5 mm silica based gravel and 2 parts compost/
The coarser stuff left behind from Bonsai sifting.

Tried an onion this year, seem to be cold induced
and it is still growing.

Usually enough tomatoes for the year. Deep freeze.
Need to test ketchup.
Images later.
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce .

Hello Unca Sorce, Nic here.
Organically grown, no pesticides.
My images.
Nikolaos

Roma
The iron mesh stops animals.

tom b.jpg

Fruit

tom a.jpg
local papaya - called paw paw down here
Bitter and used more as a medicinal

paw paw.jpg
pomegranate

pomme.jpg
Almost ripe - yellow pineapple, much sweeter than the other types/

pine ap.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Our raised bed has been a disaster this year, the cauliflower and broccoli bolted and the salad greens did not make it. There is garlic and maybe onions in there though, possibly lentils.
Pots are looking good though, a number of tomatoes are doing well, eggplant too. Have a bunch of peppers as well. The pumpkins need to be planted out too.
Have a bunch of spuds in bags doing well, last time chafer beetle go to them so hopefully better this year and I am happy to report for the first time we have finger limes growing.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello Sorce!
@my nellie Saganaki..
Flaming Cheese! Opa!
Oddly....I tried Cheese from a waiter at a Greek Restaurant I worked at!
Stank!
Yes we are talking about both food...and Mary Jane!
Sorce
a) Saganaki is made with special type of cheese.
Not every cheese is suitable for making saganaki.
Yes, the cheese is either fried or it is grilled on a rack over charcoal fire/barbecue.
b) I am sure that Greek Feta cheese or Kefalotyri or some other types of Greek cheese are too strong a taste/smell for other people :)
Nothing wrong with this, it's a matter of taste.
Either you like it or not!
It's something like some French types of cheese which smell too strongly or as you put it "stink" like Brie or Roquefort or Camembert which I do love!!!
@AlainK don't they?
c) Opa, opaaa!!!
How do you know "opa"? :D

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@sorce .
My images.
Nikolaos
Hello Nikolaos!
This is a great surprise to read that you use your full name in your signature and not a nickname.
Of course you know that Nikolaos is a Greek (and then Roman) name, composing of the words Νίκη & Λαός.
Νικόλαος = Νίκη (victory) + Λαός (people) = Νίκη του λαού (Victory of people and/or The one who donates victory to people).

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Congratulations on your growing Nick!
Nice, healthy plants/fruits!
@sorce .
No pesticides. Yes! BUT where you are growing immensely matters!
If I try (and I have tried) to grow organically in Athens where I live it is sure failure because people who do not care about their plants/trees are around me.
Moreover, trees in public parks/alleys are almost never given any attention/care thus they are carrying any kind of infestation.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do you know "opa"?

The First place I went after Birth was a Greek Restaurant!

Then proceeded to spend most of my early life there with my Grandma and her friend.

I'm honorary Greek!

Sorce

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The First place I went after Birth was a Greek Restaurant!
Then proceeded to spend most of my early life there with my Grandma and her friend.
I'm honorary Greek!
Sorce
:D :D
Do you remember by any chance what did they feed you at the restaurant? :p
If you ever decide to give a try to a Greek home made recipe don't hesitate to ask me!
I am absolutely sure, if I ever had a small fund and went abroad to start a Greek restaurant of my own, I would be rich in no time!
Everybody here agree on my excellent abilities with cooking and pastry making! No kidding!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Damn, making me hungry.

By far the best Greek food is the slow roasted lamb that has been rotating over the coals for hours. This is why when your Greek friends invite you to a party you must always go. Unless they don't cook it then who needs friends like that in the first place.

I also love yiros, without the salad filler. Just meat and sauce. Can't really find them in Spain and the best ones are made in Australia. :p

And when we were in Crete the place we stayed made a lovely Cretan desert, basically puff pastry and custard. It was immense. I could so easily move to Crete, great place.

Top Bottom