Your Vegetable Garden

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've never grown tomatoes indoors, but yours seem to be wildly overgrown : outdoors, we pinch new shoots at the bottom of leaves for if you don't they will take all the energy and make more leaves instead of fruit.

The basic scheme is something like:

View attachment 196191

Where the yellow stars are the flowers and the light green shoots to be removed (red X)

The basics here, where anyone with 1 sq metre of soil grow tomatoes.

Tomatoes grown in greenhouses, most of the time in "rock wool" with chemical fertilizers and pesticides are tasteless and poor in all the nutrients that make a tomato a "good" tomato.

But the process to get fruit is the same: you must pinch the new shoots at the aisle of the leaves, any gardener in any place in the world will tell you the same. The only exception is "cherry tomatoes", that can devellop freely.

View attachment 196191
Thanks Alain. I read about that when I was looking at the difference between “determinate” and “indeterminate” tomato types. The plants were already about five feet tall when I read that though, maybe It would still help to go back and do that. Also of course every single pack of seeds I bought are indeterminate. I read I’m supposed to keep pinching the tops too, but I lost track of all my garden chores working too much.

I completely agree with you; hothouse pesticide tomatoes are not even the same thing. No flavor, no nutritional value, no color. That’s why I enjoy the non GMO heirloom seeds I bought from seed savers.com, specifically the “Cherokee Purple” tomato because of its intense color and flavor. So far it’s grown better for me than the other types too, doesn’t get blight like the others. I can’t say enough how happy I am with their seeds. They have a higher germination rate in my experience too.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
hothouse pesticide tomatoes are not even the same thing. No flavor, no nutritional value, no color.

I think that more and more people are trying now to get back to "real stuff": there are more and more people here in the old world growing vegetables from ancient strains.

Some of them were prohibited until recently: big companies had a patent, so it was illégal (theoritically) to provide, or even exchange seeds. Of course, people f*ck*d the capitalists and fortunately, we could keep diversity.

A way to keep our gardens great. Not again, just to keep them great.

I'm worried though : I remember that when I was a child, we had to clean the winnshield/windscreen every 50 kilometres or so in summer, now we can drive 500 kilometres without insects on the windscreen.

And some "big" country pulled out of the Paris Climate Agreement

As if the earth was flat, Adam and Eve had T-Rex kebabs, the center of the universe was a con man's tower.

I hope that most people, wherever they live, are not blinded by bigotry and nationalism. I know that some can't uindertand the difference between a patriot and a nationalist. The US of A will keep on being polluted again, and the rest of the world too. What do we care about the rest of the world or our children as long as our profits are great again? When I write "our profits", huh huh hu...

Anyway, we live in a world with values, where a handshake is worth a signature on a paper : that's what is called honor.

Some sign agreements, and then reneges on their promises. Despicable clowns that represent a whole country.

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
hothouse pesticide tomatoes are not even the same thing. No flavor, no nutritional value, no color.

I think that more and more people are trying now to get back to "real stuff": there are more and more people here in the old world growing vegetables from ancient strains.

We live in a world with values, where a handshake is worth more than a signature on a paper : that's what is called honor. Or is it?...

Anyway, "Il faut cultiver notre jardin"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candide

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Greens Cucumber and....a common juniper!
20180610_074132.jpg

A couple squash.....20180610_074119.jpg

300# pumpkin.20180610_074112.jpg

Beets and carrots.20180610_073832.jpg

Corn.20180610_073816.jpg

Dont look at my dead Mugo!

Sorce

Attachments

• 20180610_074132.jpg
    20180610_074132.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 7

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Brown tomato. These are tasty.

My tomatoes are just beginning to form, they're no bigger than a fingernail for the earlier species. But they're weel on their way. I have "tomates ananas", yellow ones, one of my favourites in a salad.

The squash have flowers, but they drop before turning into fruit. The butternuts and sweet dumpling have just leaves so far....

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This has worked well for me already, it was starting to bolt but since doing this it’s stopped!

My cilantro is still bolting though, I don’t understand why it looks so crappy. I can grow Bonsai but not cilantro?? (Embarrassing picture warning lol)
I’m stoked that my basil is finally doing well for once, thanks again @Carol 83

The funny thing though is that this is a spicy basil of sorts, and honestly I don’t care for it as much as a sweet basil. Definitely will switch it up next year

Attachments

• 343BF8EC-AA92-4A3F-AAB0-8EBD954D85AF.jpeg
    343BF8EC-AA92-4A3F-AAB0-8EBD954D85AF.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 6

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Forgive me, but I didn't read all 4 pages of this.... I was wondering if someone could tell me why my tomato plants are producing? I have 1 tomato growing on each plant. They are planted in potting soil, redbud compost, and perlite. They are getting bushy a few yellow flowers here and there... but no tomatoes o_O

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Forgive me, but I didn't read all 4 pages of this.... I was wondering if someone could tell me why my tomato plants are producing? I have 1 tomato growing on each plant. They are planted in potting soil, redbud compost, and perlite. They are getting bushy a few yellow flowers here and there... but no tomatoes o_O
Same problem I’ve been having especially wth ones In my greenhouse, I don’t know either

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They are getting bushy a few yellow flowers here and there... but no tomatoes o_O

The usual way to grow tomatoes is to pinch out new shoots sprouting at the base of leaves so the rest of the plant gets more sun (a bit like when you do partial defoliation on a bonsai). More energy is also directed to the flowering stems. This is not necessary for "cherry tomatoes".

Sorry for the blurred photos, but I think you can see what I mean:

potager_180721b.jpg
potager_180721c.jpg
potager_180721a.jpg

Are there many insects -- bees and others, around? Flowers need to be pollinated.

Also a copper-based treatment is necessary most of the time because such plants as tomatoes or squash are prone to fungal diseases. I should have treated mine a second time, it's beginning to show in the last photo.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The usual way to grow tomatoes is to pinch out new shoots sprouting at the base of leaves so the rest of the plant gets more sun (a bit like when you do partial defoliation on a bonsai). More energy is also directed to the flowering stems. This is not necessary for "cherry tomatoes".

Sorry for the blurred photos, but I think you can see what I mean:

View attachment 202010
View attachment 202011
View attachment 202009

Are there many insects -- bees and others, around? Flowers need to be pollinated.

Also a copper-based treatment is necessary most of the time because such plants as tomatoes or squash are prone to fungal diseases. I should have treated mine a second time, it's beginning to show in the last photo.
I actually have been doing that after your advice on it and I definitely think it’s made a huge difference. I guess I just started them too late this year, most years I sow the seeds around the end of February and this year I don’t think I planted them till April.

That, and the ones I’ve been growing are indeterminate Heirloom varieties that can’t seem to stop focusing on growing gigantic. I don’t know if pinching the tops would help too?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got one Softball sized watermelon. Was supposed to be 2 ft...but it didn't sprout till after the solstice amd stopped growimg soon after.
20181018_152938.jpg

But tasty!

Lil one planted it. He ate it!

S

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Got one of these almost ready, don't like them really but added to a tomato sauce then blend it and it's all good, Out of sight out of mind.
IMG_2649.JPG
Also pumpkins, yum.
IMG_2656.JPG
And this little fucker is trimming my buds off. No shit just topping the prime nugs, about a week away too.

IMG_2663.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Underground Cousin of the 3 Sisters.
20220518_160246.jpg

Psyched. Shrooms!

Live soil like a MF.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taters, Radishes for seed, beets, carrots, squash, cucumber, collards.
20220621_102851.jpg

10ft mater trellis.
20220621_102839_HDR.jpg

Got some broccoli heads forming, eggplant, squash, more taters, cucumber, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, beans.
20220621_102907.jpg

Sorce

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You're doing better than me so far. First year in this house, and the soil was dead as my sex life.
I'm apparently NOT getting swiss chard this year between the kids and the weather, and the grasshoppers are eating my lettuce as fast as it can sprout. BUT, I have bumper crops of purslane and wild prickly lettuce. 😜 This is why I study wild edibles.
Trying to grow Anasazi beans for the first time. Feels like a slow start, but they've taken off in the past week.

I have a similar thread in the Tea House for non-bonsai growing that I should go update.

Top Bottom