You're Not Going to Like This if You're a Pure Naturalist

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well my first post was asking for the "why" of the "I don't like it". Your opinion simply restated the fact that there will be those that don't like it... but, it still didn't answer the original question posed. Anyway, thanks for the contribution.

No it didn't Ryan. I'm not trying to be argumentative.
I told you my reason for not liking it---the reason is "just because".
My immediate impression of the tree is "Ugh--I dont like it".

Because my reason for not liking it it is basic and visceral---does that make my "why" less worthy than a more cerebral reason????

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No it didn't Ryan. I'm not trying to be argumentative.

You sure about that? You like to argue with me a lot...;)

By the way this is what I said in my first post "I'm interested in hearing why those who have a liking for the "natural" style would reject this tree. "

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My feeling on deadwood is that it occurs on most trees in the wild, it just lasts longer on conifers, which is why people most often think of deadwood being on conifers. So having a couple non-conifer trees with deadwood are acceptable, as long as it looks natural.

That's a good point. But when you think of it in terms like what Will stated...does it matter what species a tree is to include certain design elements. If it does, why? If doesn't why not? (Just playing devils advocate. I don't have a clear cut answer to either question.)

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
This is a deciduous tree that I love the deadwood on.

http://www.shohin-europe.com/ALBEKGALLERY-prunus2.html

My feeling on deadwood is that it occurs on most trees in the wild, it just lasts longer on conifers, which is why people most often think of deadwood being on conifers. So having a couple non-conifer trees with deadwood are acceptable, as long as it looks natural.

I agree that it is acceptable if it looks natural, but my point was that this doesn't look natural. There is a big difference between carving deadwood to look naturally weathered and sanding it down to make it look polished. Polished deadwood would seemingly occur in nature only under harsh conditions, like a windy coastline where trees are naturally sandblasted. It's contradictory to show a tree with lots of polished, twisting deadwood with a full triangular crown on top, and it will look even weirder with flowers on it.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
this doesn't look natural.

I couldn't agree with you more on that point. I think this tree falls into a category of bonsai that I call modern bonsai. It is almost like abstract art. This is in no way natural looking.

I think this tree is starting to grow on me.

Last edited:

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You sure about that? You like to argue with me a lot...;)

By the way this is what I said in my first post "I'm interested in hearing why those who have a liking for the "natural" style would reject this tree. "

I'm very sure. There's an important distinction to be made here. Disagreeing and arguing are very different.
I often disagree with you---I have no desire to "argue" with anyone.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more on that point. I think this tree falls into a category of bonsai that I call modern bonsai. It is almost like abstract art. This is in no way natural looking.

I agree. Alot of the fashionable bonsai in Japan and Italy don't look at all like trees, but they look nice in their own way, like sculptures.

I think this tree is starting to grow on me.

Not me.

edit: I post too much for a beginner so I'm going back to lurking until I have more pics of my trees to share. It's hard to stay out of these discussions sometimes. :)

Last edited:

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
edit: I post too much for a beginner so I'm going back to lurking until I have more pics of my trees to share. It's hard to stay out of these discussions sometimes. :)

Don't stop! Keeping posting. Who cares if you don't have trees to share, you've got knowledge and an opinion!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
As far as I know, the 'natural' growth habit of azalea is a bush, something like the one shown here

http://free-best-wallpaper.com/images/Azalea.jpg

This one is styled something like a juniper or maybe more like a premna or some other coast-battered broadleaf...

As opposed to a purist style azalea which is more like a pine or something?

Either way it doesn't matter to me...

Besides the point I know, but sure, its a very beautiful tree and unique.

I would take it if someone gave it to me and not complain :) but if I was gonna drop $4500 on a tree, it wouldn't be that one.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I only reject the lighter sitting next to it - it ain't nice to scare a little tree like that....

Mortalis

Yamadori
Reaction score
I like it very much the dead wood is very interesting natural or not. I really judge any tree by nothing other than what it makes me feel. And this tree makes me feel peaceful as I trace the helical trunk up I see life and death doing a beautiful dance before me.

Top Bottom