Youtube Curiosity -

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don’t know if he’s here, but the YT channel, Appalachian Bonsai, had a huge impact/influence on my beginnings in bonsai and beyond..

Not sure if the majority of my trees would be wild collected...or if the bug would have bitten so deep had I not started in tandem with being inspired by his videos...being originally from KY and very familiar with Appalachia probably didn’t hurt either, but seriously I believe this too helped pull back the curtain of mystique (bn too) and odd stereotype that bonsai went hand in hand with something like dressage horses or such..a sole practice of ultra wealth

Thanks much to all that do post videos, I subscribe to every one I find (unless they are trash;):D), as well those that I cannot understand the languages...
@Vance Wood, wish you posted more
You may inspire me to post more, I have been kind of preoccupied by family matters and not as diligent at the videos as I once was.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
you need to start working with larger and older material. With the stuff you have you will be older than me before you get something going and I'm 73. Don't misunderstand, there is nothing wrong with working with younger material but there is nothing wrong with working with older and larger either.
thanks for checking me out. I've only got 5-6 yrs of this hobby under my belt, so i pretty much just learned to water. 😁 ive collected and killed a few large and old yamadori already. 👍 but seriously, my favorite size bonsai are shohin, so i really wasn't planning on getting any huge trees. i haven't found anybody in alabama with a tree i wanted to buy yet. i haven't seen any on the internet either that weren't a good grand out of my touch. soooooo, hopefully as im growing these young trees out exactly how I want over the next 20yrs, I'll find a few nice trees that are ready for refinement.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
There are parts of Australia where this would be the only way to keep a JBP alive.
Simply fighting extreme with the other extreme.

Speaking of Australia...

This guy.

Sorce

Omg. This video is hilarious!!!!
Thank u for this- made my day!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Omg. This video is hilarious!!!!
Thank u for this- made my day!

Not recommended viewing for recovering alcoholics!
I MUST have a beer watching this!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
thanks for checking me out. I've only got 5-6 yrs of this hobby under my belt, so i pretty much just learned to water. 😁 ive collected and killed a few large and old yamadori already. 👍 but seriously, my favorite size bonsai are shohin, so i really wasn't planning on getting any huge trees. i haven't found anybody in alabama with a tree i wanted to buy yet. i haven't seen any on the internet either that weren't a good grand out of my touch. soooooo, hopefully as im growing these young trees out exactly how I want over the next 20yrs, I'll find a few nice trees that are ready for refinement.
Not looking for refinement but primary development. Seedings and cuttings will not give you a platform from which to learn the mystery and magic of bonsai just the frustration.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are parts of Australia where this would be the only way to keep a JBP alive.
Simply fighting extreme with the other extreme.

Speaking of Australia...

This guy.

Sorce

Now that's a bloody awesome bonsai video!

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Seedings and cuttings will not give you a platform from which to learn the mystery and magic of bonsai just the frustration.
true for some people, but not for all. there are many different ways people enjoy the same hobby. example: i like comic style art. id like to create my own comic, from the story down to the type of paper its printed on. some people who love comics only want to color other people's drawings.

Top Bottom