YouTube, Websites, and Suppliers Recommendations Needed

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I need some recommendations please...

I’m subscribed to Ryan’s, Bjorn’s, and Peter Chan’s channels. However most of their content is more advanced.

I subscribed to @KleinM channel that I saw after doing a thread search, so feel free to plug your channel or website if you have one.

I’m subscribed to a channel called Bonsai-En by Josh Hooson in Australia.
His is the best channel I’ve come across for beginners like me. He has several great videos about development and makes clear distinctions between development and refinement.
I think most newbies go online, see a small tree being wired and put into a Bonsai pot and think that’s Bonsai because most channels don’t even discuss development, or they only show mature trees in refinement, and as a result a lot of newcomers are unintentionally misled and start off on the wrong foot (I almost did until I came across Josh’s channel).

So I need some more YouTube channels and websites to learn from.

Also some good suppliers for wire, mesh, substrate, training pots, tools, pre-Bonsai, and Bonsai material.
Preferably US based.

The only ones I know of are Mr. Maple (who I saw on another thread) and his stuff looks amazing.
And a site called Bonsai Outlet that popped up on a google search. I’ve never ordered anything from them and don’t know anything about them.

Thank you in advance.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s nice to visit reputable bonsai nurseries as well. I went to my local one yesterday. You can buy trees that are more well suited for bonsai. Usually they will have a variety of pre bonsai and you get the chance to pick and choose wheel and deal. Look for local club as well. Get some cheap stock to practice techniques on at a standard landscape nursery. It takes years to learn this. To understand and know what to expect tree’s to do. Watching YouTube and doing courses are good but only knowing theory isn’t going to grow or style a tree for you. And all those bonsai artists you listed live in different areas and practice in many different ways. Finding locals and just practicing will get you far in creating and caring for bonsai in your local environment. If you do some searches on this forum a lot of members talk about where they get supplies tree’s and such.

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It’s nice to visit reputable bonsai nurseries as well. I went to my local one yesterday. You can buy trees that are more well suited for bonsai. Usually they will have a variety of pre bonsai and you get the chance to pick and choose wheel and deal. Look for local club as well. Get some cheap stock to practice techniques on at a standard landscape nursery. It takes years to learn this. To understand and know what to expect tree’s to do. Watching YouTube and doing courses are good but only knowing theory isn’t going to grow or style a tree for you. And all those bonsai artists you listed live in different areas and practice in many different ways. Finding locals and just practicing will get you far in creating and caring for bonsai in your local environment. If you do some searches on this forum a lot of members talk about where they get supplies tree’s and such.
Thanks.

Unfortunately there are no Bonsai nurseries even close.
I will visit the local nurseries and garden shops though.

There is a Bonsai club here locally but they haven’t met for 2 years since Covid kicked off and haven’t posted on FB in 2 years.
I reached out to them via email but haven’t heard anything back and it’s been over a month now.
It seems they’re a club in name only. They’re certainly not very big and not active at all.
I have tried to reach out to others that live nearby.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks.

I will visit the local nurseries and garden shops though.

There is a Bonsai club here locally but they haven’t met for 2 years since Covid kicked off and haven’t posted on FB in 2 years.
I reached out to them via email but haven’t heard anything back and it’s been over a month now.
It seems they’re a club in name only. They’re certainly not very big and not active at all.
I have tried to reach out to others that live nearby.
I hear that. There is only one local nursery to me a hour and a half drive away. I started 5 years ago in bonsai. I think elms, maples, and junipers are good beginner tree’s. Pines are a little tricky and take some more in depth understanding. Some people here would disagree. But I have found the trees I mentioned to be more forgiving when learning. But there are tons of shrubs and trees people use for bonsai. I think mirai gives great insight on care and plant physiology in regards to bonsai.

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I hear that. There is only one local nursery to me a hour and a half drive away. I started 5 years ago in bonsai. I think elms, maples, and junipers are good beginner tree’s. Pines are a little tricky and take some more in depth understanding. Some people here would disagree. But I have found the trees I mentioned to be more forgiving when learning. But there are tons of shrubs and trees people use for bonsai. I think mirai gives great insight on care and plant physiology in regards to bonsai.
Thanks.
Yeah I started another thread about collecting advice where people said exactly this.
There is a large overgrown area at the back of my property that I’m sure has plenty of Bonsai material to dig and learn about, practice on, and maybe get something worthwhile.

If I find anything really good, I’ll leave it until I get some practice collecting.

Not all are suitable for Bonsai, but I know there’s
Live Oak
Turkey Oak
Yaupon Holly
Chinese Tallow (popcorn tree)
Southern Magnolia
Dogwood
Boxwood
Creeping Juniper
Slash Pine
and who knows what else back there.

Haven't been back there in a couple years.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I need some recommendations please...

I’m subscribed to Ryan’s, Bjorn’s, and Peter Chan’s channels. However most of their content is more advanced.

I subscribed to @KleinM channel that I saw after doing a thread search, so feel free to plug your channel or website if you have one.

I’m subscribed to a channel called Bonsai-En by Josh Hooson in Australia.
His is the best channel I’ve come across for beginners like me. He has several great videos about development and makes clear distinctions between development and refinement.
I think most newbies go online, see a small tree being wired and put into a Bonsai pot and think that’s Bonsai because most channels don’t even discuss development, or they only show mature trees in refinement, and as a result a lot of newcomers are unintentionally misled and start off on the wrong foot (I almost did until I came across Josh’s channel).

So I need some more YouTube channels and websites to learn from.

Also some good suppliers for wire, mesh, substrate, training pots, tools, pre-Bonsai, and Bonsai material.
Preferably US based.

The only ones I know of are Mr. Maple (who I saw on another thread) and his stuff looks amazing.
And a site called Bonsai Outlet that popped up on a google search. I’ve never ordered anything from them and don’t know anything about them.

Thank you in advance.
Bonsai outlet is good. Wilson bros nursery based in Georgia but they offer free shipping on plants.

What books have you started with?

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Bonsai outlet is good. Wilson bros nursery based in Georgia but they offer free shipping on plants.

What books have you started with?
Awesome, thanks.
No books yet.
Been looking at several different ones, but it’s hard to decide with all the mixed reviews.

I need something that’s beginner appropriate but not too basic that I learn nothing. And something that’s not out of print and costs boatloads.

Had my eye on Bonsai by Harry Tomlinson and DK Publishers
And Bonsai Beginner’s Bible by Peter Chan.

I was able to download a copy of Bonsai Techniques 1 by John Naka (although I know some of it is dated).

What books would you recommend?

KleinM

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks! For anyone wondering, my channel's name is Klein Bonsai. I originally started it, because all the videos I watch are from regions in the wold that has opposite weather of what I experience, and I thought I'll show the perspective from a more sub-tropical point of view. It becomes difficult to relate to, especially when it comes to our mild winters (and the surprise that we actually do experience frost, even black frost during cold fronts). That was the biggest thing that I struggled with when I started out not too long ago.

This is a good website from Bonsai Empire, which contains a couple of Care Guides for some species.

Other YouTube channels:
Eastern Leaf
Bonsai Empire
We Are the Bonsai Supply
Nigel Saunder's The Bonsai Zone
Blue Jay Bonsai

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Awesome, thanks.
No books yet.
Been looking at several different ones, but it’s hard to decide with all the mixed reviews.

I need something that’s beginner appropriate but not too basic that I learn nothing. And something that’s not out of print and costs boatloads.

Had my eye on Bonsai by Harry Tomlinson and DK Publishers
And Bonsai Beginner’s Bible by Peter Chan.

I was able to download a copy of Bonsai Techniques 1 by John Naka (although I know some of it is dated).

What books would you recommend?
I would recommend The Complete Book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlinson. Here are some pics so you can see it’s teaching method.image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have no special training and some people get their panties in a wad because I say bonzai instead of bone sigh but I show what works for me in South Florida.
Meh... bonzai, bone sigh, sticks in a pot, tiny trees, whatever. I got no time for “It’s my club and you can’t be in it” snobs.
But so far everybody on here has been really helpful and nice.

It’s all about the enjoyment as far as I’m concerned.

I’m trying to make decent show trees for myself and learn some cool stuff from people that know more than me. I’ll be dead before I become a master haha.

I teach science and do fish and planted aquariums and houseplants and Bonsai seems a natural progression for me; and it gives me something to do as I get older and can’t do the things I once could.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Meh... bonzai, bone sigh, sticks in a pot, tiny trees, whatever. I got no time for “It’s my club and you can’t be in it” snobs.
But so far everybody on here has been really helpful and nice.

It’s all about the enjoyment as far as I’m concerned.

I’m trying to make decent show trees for myself and learn some cool stuff from people that know more than me. I’ll be dead before I become a master haha.

I teach science and do fish and planted aquariums and houseplants and Bonsai seems a natural progression for me; and it gives me something to do as I get older and can’t do the things I once could.
I am a math teacher. Started the youtube channel so I could do something fun. I feel like I'm more animated and exciting when I teach math. But I try.

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am a math teacher. Started the youtube channel so I could do something fun. I feel like I'm more animated and exciting when I teach math. But I try.
Impossible... math cannot be more fun than Bonsai 🤣
All we can do is try though.

Subbed to your channel... good stuff.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wigert's and Schley Bonsai are in Florida. I've been to Schley's in Deland and ordered lots from Wigert's. Even if they aren't close, they both ship.

Top Bottom