Zanthoxylum Simulans (Szechuan Pepper) - is it indoor or outdoor or both?

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I grow these in my garden - getting really big. As I read everywhere they are hardy to Zone 6 (I would be somewhere about Zone 8). It sheds leaves for the winter. Also grows like crazy. However I have seen small potensai trees in garden centers sold as indoor bonsai and claiming it to be the same species. I torn and tasted a leaf (which was considerably smaller but the same in shape as the ones on my trees in the garden) and it really tasted the same.

So my question is: is it really the same species or they use some other species / cultivar for the indoor bonsai? If it is the same I could use one of the larger trees and cut the trunk to make something of it. Also if it was the same I could grow it inside during winter. Would be nice.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In a warm climate, the Chinese Pepper can be kept outside all the year round. In temperate climate, it can be placed in a wind-sheltered sunny position or in semi-shade from May to September. From autumn until spring the tree needs a warm place with a lot of light with temperatures between 16° C and 23° C / 60° F and 75° F. If the Chinese Pepper is placed in a warm position with enough light during winter, it will keep growing. The temperature should not fall below 10° C / 50° F. If the windows are opened for ventilation in winter, take care that the Chinese Pepper tree is not exposed to cold draught.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
In a warm climate, the Chinese Pepper can be kept outside all the year round. In temperate climate, it can be placed in a wind-sheltered sunny position or in semi-shade from May to September. From autumn until spring the tree needs a warm place with a lot of light with temperatures between 16° C and 23° C / 60° F and 75° F. If the Chinese Pepper is placed in a warm position with enough light during winter, it will keep growing. The temperature should not fall below 10° C / 50° F. If the windows are opened for ventilation in winter, take care that the Chinese Pepper tree is not exposed to cold draught.

What I have (and what they describe on the web) withstands hard freezing (like -20°C) easily. What I am asking is if it is the same stuff they offer as indoor plants that could be grown inside all year around.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
hi,
if its Zanthoxylum Simulans from what i've read its a sub-tropical tree and not frost hardy. i might be wrong but i've just checked in a couple of books and it says it needs to be kept warm. I havent actually kept one of these though so maybe someone with personal experience might be able to help

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
hi,
if its Zanthoxylum Simulans from what i've read its a sub-tropical tree and not frost hardy. i might be wrong but i've just checked in a couple of books and it says it needs to be kept warm. I havent actually kept one of these though so maybe someone with personal experience might be able to help
As I wrote: I grow the in garden, they withstood -20°C easily. Also that is what online sites claim - see for example: https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Zanthoxylum+simulans

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
The other thing why I ask if it's the same species is the leaf size: in my trees in the garden they are quite large - like 15-20cm. On the potensai trees they are pretty small - like 2-4cm. Leaves can be made smaller but this much?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Normally a Bonsai pot is not as warm as the earth might be
during winter.
So you drop back a zone or two.

You have zone 8?
So for safety - zone 9 to 10.

For winter you can do as the Japanese did, bury plant in earth
and mulch well. Or place in an unheated garage.

If you get something beautiful, do the tests on cuttings.
In your venture,
Best of luck.
Anthony

* a cousin of your plant exists down here.
Tropical versions or drop off from birds going north ?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Okay, I suggest hitting Wikipedia
Zanthoxylum is a genus of 250 species, and at least 3 different species can be harvested as Sichuan pepper.
Z simulans, Z bungeanum, Z alianthoides, Z schinifolium & Z piperitum, all have been used as Sichuan pepper. Z piperitum is native to China, Japan and Korea and is probably the most hardy of the Sichuan pepper. Z. simulans probably is frost tender.

So the answer is, there is more than one species of Sichuan pepper.

Top Bottom