Zelcova Nire

Reaction score
I would ID as a corkbark chinese elm (ulmus parvifolia nire) since leaves are chinese elm-size and form unlike zelkova serrata. I don't know the official name for sure. Here (Belgium and the Netherlands) they are sold as zelkova nire most of the time. In english better to search on corkbark elm or Niré.
Every tree with good ramification gets a little more labor intensive. It's an elm so shaded branches lose power and die. Besides trimming (2 to 6 times per year depending on development phase), cleaning the died branches and stumps and cleaning trunk there is no wiring involved in this stage. 3 to 5 hours per year maximum for maintenance maximum. Since i have trees that need several days or weeks to clean i consider this as a low maintenance / high performance tree. On the other hand, the more you need to work it, the more you enjoy your hobby.

Myka

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Thanks for your response Dirk! Regarding the latter part of your comment, that's exactly what I'm looking for - a high maintenance tree so I can enjoy it more! Haha! Getting to trim it 2-6 times per year does sound fun. :D I will try to find this tree. There is a mail order shop some hours away that has one Ulmus parvifolia cultivar called 'Hokkaido', but it says the trees are only 3-4" tall and grow about 1' per 25 years. Google image search appears to be a much smaller version of your tree - or maybe it simply needs to be trained into a more vertical growth pattern as it looks more like ground cover.

Please continue to post pre/post haircut photos - love them!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is interesting to me that "Niré" is a name for Antartic Beech (nothofagus antarctica). AFAIK, nothofagus doesn't have corky bark. So, I'm curious, @dirk hoorelbeke, what "Niré" in the name means - any ideas?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Reaction score
I'm not really good at botanic - names and such. I like to leave that to more educated people. The 'Hokkaido' is a dwarf cultivar, but i don't own one.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
It is interesting to me that "Niré" is a name for Antartic Beech (nothofagus antarctica). AFAIK, nothofagus doesn't have corky bark. So, I'm curious, @dirk hoorelbeke, what "Niré" in the name means - any ideas?
Nire actually means elm, Nire Keyaki is ulmus parvifolia, just Keyaki is zelkova serrata

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nire actually means elm, Nire Keyaki is ulmus parvifolia, just Keyaki is zelkova serrata
Thanks, Tommy. I have some nothofagus antarctica. They look nothing like an elm to me, but apparently they do to others.
My apologies for the thread bomb, @dirk hoorelbeke.

Top Bottom