Zelcova Nire

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Foo, mislabeled or selling something different? All the offered batch with the same leaves. The leaves are really very close to U. minor, but what about that rough bark on such a young trunk and branches? Anyway thank you for looking at my rough bark mystery tree:).

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Jeez Dirk...
Sorry to have read that old ignorant comment to you...or 2!

Anyway,
Super glad you stuck around here cuz I really dig your work and you've helped me a lot!

Thanks!

Sorce
That particular member has been persona non grata around here for some time now.

Reaction score
"End" result. The tree is ready for the next growing period. Interior branches will have more light and have the opportunity to grow. As expected, there were some little branches that dyed back. So i will try to keep it more open.
IMG_9816.JPG
Peep under the skirt.
IMG_9819.JPG
Removed the moss on the trunk with a pincet.
IMG_9822.JPG
Treated with "boomcleaner" to kill the rest and prevent new growth of moss.
IMG_9823.JPG
I removed the wiring that holds the tree in the pot. This i do normally a year after repotting. The tree is fixed by the roots and keeping the wires can result in scarring of roots and trunk in some cases. Better to do things right. Some species (pines) do push their-self up in the pot. Letting the wire in can result in a broken pot or a stressed out tree.
Then i applied fertilizer. Small granulated form (invisible on photo), and biogold. Applied sphagnum to keep the tree well hydrated for this summer. The first few weeks i will water less because there is less foliage.
IMG_9824.JPG

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This bonsai has come along beautifully,great use of technique! And horticulture to see this design through.
Thanks for the clear pictures and updates.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That tree is awesome! I have a young cork bark elm I started training this year. This gives me a lot of hope/inspiration for its future. In 10 years if I can have something like this I will be over the moon!

Reaction score
Real head-turner!!

How about a pot with a little less "heavy" feel to it?

Nice growing.:cool::):):):)
We tried some rounder pots but it made the total image round. We did a square to accentuate the rough nature of the bark. We needed a little bit of depth to be able to hide the nebari so it can develop. It might change in the future.

Reaction score
Noelanders practise setup Dirk? Nice!
I'll have to level up the presentation for that, and still a few years to go to have a good 3-point display i guess. I might show this tree at the Kei Bonsai Kai exhibition (26 may 2018 - Laarne). For this photo (need to invest in a decent camera and lighting) i don't even think the stand and the accent are ideal.

Top Bottom