Zelcova

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I thought that I had started a thread for this one, but I could not find it. Not really sure where I am going with it. I ground layered it last year, but due to a family emergency, I did not get a chance to severe it. Anyway, it needed a hair cut. What do you think? Ideas? Burn pile?

Before:

DSC00921-1.jpg DSC00923-2.jpg DSC00924-2.jpg DSC00925-2.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I didn't know that it had been over a year since I had updated this one, unless there is another thread floating around out there. Anyway here is this one's big trim before the spring flush.

Before:

DSC06988-1.jpg

DSC06991-1.jpg

DSC06992-1.jpg

DSC06995-1.jpg

After:

DSC06996-1.jpg

DSC06997-1.jpg

DSC07000-1.jpg

DSC07003-1.jpg

DSC07005-1.jpg

Not real wild about how this one is shaping up, there is another couple of inches of trunk buried under there, so maybe next year I will like it more after seeing it all.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not great looking.

If it was my tree I would airlayer the top off above the second large branch. As well as the second large branch as another airlayer. Finally I would chop off the straight section and use the First branch and roots for a third tree.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yeah, it could be better, I thought about doing a couple of thread grafts on the straight section. I have too many projects right now, so I think I will wait until I expose the rest of the trunk and go from there. I did a ground layer and planted it on a board last spring.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Not crazy about the drop branch. I'm sure you could chop all the branches off and be right back to having decent branches in 1-2 years they grow so fast.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree, the branches look pretty good as trees on their own, but don't looks so good assembled into the tree you have. Airlayers everywhere!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:

I never thought I would be repotting in February, but it has been very warm, even for my neck of the woods. It was 78 today and the elms were starting to move so I repotted a few. This is what I did to this one.

I decided not to hack it up, I wish I had know more when I was starting this one, I don't really want to start over on this one, so it just is what it is. This is what it looked like before I started:

DSC05187-1.jpg

It had plenty of nice roots:

DSC05188-1.jpg

DSC05189-1.jpg

When I put it into the oil drain pan, I screwed it to an Ikea cutting board to hopefully make a nice flat nebari, boy was I surprised! After cleaning thing up, I had a really nice, flat root spread which allowed me to put it into a really shallow pot.

DSC05191-1.jpg

DSC05194-1.jpg

DSC05195-1.jpg

DSC05200-1.jpg

DSC05201-1.jpg

After much trimming and thinning of the roots, I managed to squeeze it into this pot. I know that some would rather see it in a glazed pot, I find myself appreciating the simpleness of the brown, unglazed one:

DSC05202-1.jpg

DSC05203-1.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I forgot to mention, the lower limb on back side may eventually go, I haven't decided if it really adds anything to the composition, such that it is.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Come on, you know you want to...View attachment 227164

I not sure what cutting there would afford, other than an uglier and shorter tree. I had thought about chopping it about half way up the second trunk section, but decided that I did not want to invest the time/effort in re-growing everything else. I think it I will just keep it like it is as a reminder of my bonsai beginnings. It was one of the first trees I ever got and I did not know much about bonsai, styling, taper, wiring, etc., and it really shows.

Who knows maybe one day, I might be able to turn it into lemonade.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, you learned how well the “screw the trunk to a board” technique works!

You could have shortened those roots even more.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Well, you learned how well the “screw the trunk to a board” technique works!

You could have shortened those roots even more.

Thanks!

Probably the only thing the beast has going for it.

Yes, it works great, was doing it before I ever heard of Ebihara. Unfortunately, the rest was already well on it's way to being what it is today before I screwed it to board.

I am always nervous about cutting off too many roots. Next repotting I'll go a little more aggressive on it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Design suggestion. Trees are structured by repetitive fractal geometry. Patterns are repeated with slight variations. Look at the zelkova, which branches are not like the others? Some branches go down, then out, then up. Some branches leave the trunk rising up, then out, then down. The two styles of branches don't go together. The tree is confused looking. In all seriousness, I would consider cutting off every single branch. From bottom to top. This will leave a long trunk, but it does have some taper. You could shorten the trunk line if you like, but you don't have too. Zelkova are pretty good about back budding, give it two years after reducing to a single trunk, and see if branches pop where you need them.

Alternate on the above theme, convert this to a conventional broom. Remove all the branches, then shorten the trunk to the point you want your broom to start at. You have a ''nice enough trunk, and a better nebari'' now its time to do something about the rest of the tree. Your branches are a mixed up mess, none of them really belong with each other. Best to start the branches over.

Another benefit of starting branches over. In general, branches should be less than half the diameter of the main trunk. Your branches are getting rather thick. When branches and trunk are too similar in size, they tend to create a ''shrub'' image instead of a ''tree'' image.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Design suggestion. Trees are structured by repetitive fractal geometry. Patterns are repeated with slight variations. Look at the zelkova, which branches are not like the others? Some branches go down, then out, then up. Some branches leave the trunk rising up, then out, then down. The two styles of branches don't go together. The tree is confused looking. In all seriousness, I would consider cutting off every single branch. From bottom to top. This will leave a long trunk, but it does have some taper. You could shorten the trunk line if you like, but you don't have too. Zelkova are pretty good about back budding, give it two years after reducing to a single trunk, and see if branches pop where you need them.

Alternate on the above theme, convert this to a conventional broom. Remove all the branches, then shorten the trunk to the point you want your broom to start at. You have a ''nice enough trunk, and a better nebari'' now its time to do something about the rest of the tree. Your branches are a mixed up mess, none of them really belong with each other. Best to start the branches over.

Another benefit of starting branches over. In general, branches should be less than half the diameter of the main trunk. Your branches are getting rather thick. When branches and trunk are too similar in size, they tend to create a ''shrub'' image instead of a ''tree'' image.

Thanks, Leo. Yes, it was the fractional geometry that I was missing years ago, lol. All of your suggestions are valid plans for the tree, maybe one day...

I have too many other projects to dive into it now.

John

Top Bottom