Zelkova 1

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Purchased this from DaSu Bonsai last summer. Just over 9" tall.
It was in very poor condition when received, but the owner was confident it would survive with proper care.
It had lost the majority of its leaves before fall, so it was kept out of direct sun and watched carefully.
Hopefully it will live. I think I see what may be buds starting to form. Zelkova1.JPGZelkova2.JPG

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nice one. Zelkova looks certifiably dead in winter. It should be OK if it was alive in fall.

What is your plan when it is back to health?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is your plan when it is back to health?
Hopefully in will produce some growth this years in terms of foliage. It has great ramification. a slight trim may be in order if it recovers.
I considered repotting, but am a little concerned as it is already compromised. The pot it is in is Ok but I have a blue glazed that it might look better in.
The soil is free draining , but the root mass is a little thick.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice tree. I hope it's health improves. What kind of soil is it in? Poor draining soil is probably the #1 killer of bonsai. If water doesn't run straight through, I'd consider a repot.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
it looks fine, maybe just a bit leggy. its really not hard to tell if a tree is 'compromised'. there would be lots of dead twigs and brittle branches. if you could wire it and most of the branches are pliable and not snapping all over then its fine mate. you could simply test its health by running your fingers through the branches. also nothing wrong with a 'thick' root mass. at least you know the tree is well established in the pot and there is likely an abundance of root to work with. people worry far too much ;)

Last edited:

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree. I hope it's health improves. What kind of soil is it in? Poor draining soil is probably the #1 killer of bonsai. If water doesn't run straight through, I'd consider a repot.
Started answering about another tree. See below!

Last edited:

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
From what I can tell it is in a pumice, lava mix. Might be some akadama.
Not sure what DaSu uses for his mix.
Does drain well.
I'm aware of the soil necessary for bonsai. Just ask my wallet!!

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
it looks fine, maybe just a bit leggy.
Agreed. I'm just waiting to see if it recovers before restyling.
The majority of the branches are still pliable and bend without snapping.
I think I see buds starting to pop!
Do Zelkova produce buds in fall like other elms? This one did not.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
even now the buds are barely visible on my zelkova. it wont bud up until late may, last to leaf out like oak and beech.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Zelkova are the last trees in my garden to start growing in spring.

You can repot them every year.

You have a challenging specimen. The lowest branches are thinner than the ones in the middle of the tree.

You have some branches growing out horizontal (maybe even a bit down) and others going up. The Zelkova “type” is to have the branches going up, creating a vase shape. Or broom style. This is true even if you have a center trunk.

This tree probably looks good when in full leaf. It’s when the leaves fall that the structural faults are evident. A at

When you repot, (and you should!) next time use a wider, shallower pot.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do Zelkova produce buds in fall like other elms?
Nope. Zelkova is NOT an elm, and works a little different.

Zelkova will look dead most of winter. Except for a light gloss (Which may disappear almost fully as they dry out in winter) you could be forgiven for tossing it. When it wakes up, it usually does it properly, pushing from all corners. Between seeing the budds and the first leaves I sometimes have a week or two.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If it were mine, I would start by cutting everything back to the trunk and rebuild the tree from there. Its not quite a broom, but not quite an informal upright either. But I have a tendency to go hard early to minimize the corrections required later.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it were mine, I would start by cutting everything back to the trunk and rebuild the tree from there. Its not quite a broom, but not quite an informal upright either. But I have a tendency to go hard early to minimize the corrections required later.
Ouch!!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nope. Zelkova is NOT an elm, and works a little different.

Zelkova will look dead most of winter. Except for a light gloss (Which may disappear almost fully as they dry out in winter) you could be forgiven for tossing it. When it wakes up, it usually does it properly, pushing from all corners. Between seeing the budds and the first leaves I sometimes have a week or two.

Agreed. Sometimes new sprouts will push and start to extend before “last years” buds even swell.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
To my knowledge zelkova is a Japanese elm.

sure, it often behaves different from its Chinese or English counterparts, but its still an elm.

the only big difference i see is that takes longer to get going than the other two. once it does, its just as vigorous.

Top Bottom