Zelkova air layering and rehab project

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My apologies to Sergio for starting a thread on deciduous. As everyone knows, I’m a pine guy. But, for some strange, unknown reason, I also like Zelkova Serrata. Not Chinese Elms, not wing-bark elm, not water elm... Zelkova. I don’t know why.

Broom style. I guess it could be a center line broom, but really, I prefer the good old traditional, boring brooms.

And I don’t have one. At least, not a good full sized one. I have a couple of shohin, but they don’t count.

Anyway, as they say on Youtube, press the “Like” button, and let’s get stuck in...

This tree:

45854552-01FA-4683-8A4C-1542EB4A64C5.jpeg

BA022D99-6EE4-4EA4-B9FB-7BD98A924755.jpeg

This Zelkova was given to me from Boon. I don’t know exactly where it came from, I suspect one of his client gave it to him. Anyway, when I brought a bunch of my trees home from Boon’s last fall, he stuck this on the truck. Why? To torture me, I suppose. Maybe it’s a test. I don’t know. It’s full of problems. If I kill it, I can probably still use the pot!

Ok, where to start? The top has lots of problems. But, even IF I fix then, I’ll be stuck with those roots. Right? So, let’s ignore the top, and do something about the roots. Would potting it lower help? Yes, and not really. They’re WAY too heavy.

Let’s just start over.

Airlayer!

First step mark where I want to have the root layer:

FF1A174F-90FC-4A39-A455-9839643286A8.jpeg

Took a Sharpie, and drew a line around the base. I tried to get a bit of natural flair, but wanted to avoid getting those heavy roots. I thought about doing it higher, to avoid some of the trunk scars, but I figure when the new roots come in, it will cause bulging and the scars wont matter. We’ll see. (Assuming it works!)

I didn’t take a picture, but I ran my grafting knife along the line, all the way around.

Then, I cut a second line around, free hand. Then started peeling:

96FE3C3D-3035-446C-AD88-54A8F3EF6CEC.jpeg

I’m committed now! Zelkova wood is really, really hard and dense. It makes great furniture! So the picture above shows the work in progress. When I first started, I thought it was going to be really difficult to get it cut, smoothed, and cleaned, but as it turned dout it wasn’t as difficult as I feared. Oh, there were some tedious sections, but I was able to get it cleaned up in about 1/2 hour.

All cleaned up:

ECD486CD-D310-4FE0-89B0-CC0FB22DCC3A.jpeg

I scraped all the cambium layers off. Down to the hardwood.

While I was doing this work, I was soaking some long fiber Orchid Moss. Once I got the upper edge of the cut nice and clean with my grafting knife, I packed about an inch of the wet spagnum on. I used a piece of aluminum Wire to wrap around the moss to hold it in place.

Then I took a 1 gallon zip lock bag and cut it open, and wrapped it around the ball of spagnum. One wire down low, and one wire up high to hold the spagnum in place. Then, one final wire around the middle to assure the spagnum stays in contact with the tree. Not a lot of pressure. The plastic is open above and below. Water will be able to get in, and out.

I did not, by the way, use any rooting hormone.

So, here it is:

DC7D3225-6332-4A76-9927-35E4BD76AE56.jpeg

Beautiful, huh?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I must admit.. I am a bit jealous. I am still looking for a decent zelkova trunk suitable for a traditional broom. On day..

Looks like a fun project, and going fundamental there!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good luck! Free projects you can get aggressive with are fun for sure. My attempts at air layering zelkova have been hit or miss, all but one rooted, none were radial. I found areas like these in blue covered dead or weak cambium and didn’t issue roots.

I hope your gap is wide enough too. The only failed air layer was one that bridged because I didn’t make the gap wide enough.
4F2FEBA9-5A39-4B11-B628-AC763EF9D9D5.jpeg

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My apologies to Sergio for starting a thread on deciduous. As everyone knows, I’m a pine guy. But, for some strange, unknown reason, I also like Zelkova Serrata. Not Chinese Elms, not wing-bark elm, not water elm... Zelkova. I don’t know why.

Broom style. I guess it could be a center line broom, but really, I prefer the good old traditional, boring brooms.

And I don’t have one. At least, not a good full sized one. I have a couple of shohin, but they don’t count.

Anyway, as they say on Youtube, press the “Like” button, and let’s get stuck in...

This tree:

View attachment 362595

View attachment 362600

This Zelkova was given to me from Boon. I don’t know exactly where it came from, I suspect one of his client gave it to him. Anyway, when I brought a bunch of my trees home from Boon’s last fall, he stuck this on the truck. Why? To torture me, I suppose. Maybe it’s a test. I don’t know. It’s full of problems. If I kill it, I can probably still use the pot!

Ok, where to start? The top has lots of problems. But, even IF I fix then, I’ll be stuck with those roots. Right? So, let’s ignore the top, and do something about the roots. Would potting it lower help? Yes, and not really. They’re WAY too heavy.

Let’s just start over.

Airlayer!

First step mark where I want to have the root layer:

View attachment 362596

Took a Sharpie, and drew a line around the base. I tried to get a bit of natural flair, but wanted to avoid getting those heavy roots. I thought about doing it higher, to avoid some of the trunk scars, but I figure when the new roots come in, it will cause bulging and the scars wont matter. We’ll see. (Assuming it works!)

I didn’t take a picture, but I ran my grafting knife along the line, all the way around.

Then, I cut a second line around, free hand. Then started peeling:

View attachment 362598

I’m committed now! Zelkova wood is really, really hard and dense. It makes great furniture! So the picture above shows the work in progress. When I first started, I thought it was going to be really difficult to get it cut, smoothed, and cleaned, but as it turned dout it wasn’t as difficult as I feared. Oh, there were some tedious sections, but I was able to get it cleaned up in about 1/2 hour.

All cleaned up:

View attachment 362597

I scraped all the cambium layers off. Down to the hardwood.

While I was doing this work, I was soaking some long fiber Orchid Moss. Once I got the upper edge of the cut nice and clean with my grafting knife, I packed about an inch of the wet spagnum on. I used a piece of aluminum Wire to wrap around the moss to hold it in place.

Then I took a 1 gallon zip lock bag and cut it open, and wrapped it around the ball of spagnum. One wire down low, and one wire up high to hold the spagnum in place. Then, one final wire around the middle to assure the spagnum stays in contact with the tree. Not a lot of pressure. The plastic is open above and below. Water will be able to get in, and out.

I did not, by the way, use any rooting hormone.

So, here it is:

View attachment 362599

Beautiful, huh?
Why no rooting hormone?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good luck! Free projects you can get aggressive with are fun for sure. My attempts at air layering zelkova have been hit or miss, all but one rooted, none were radial. I found areas like these in blue covered dead or weak cambium and didn’t issue roots.

I hope your gap is wide enough too. The only failed air layer was one that bridged because I didn’t make the gap wide enough.
View attachment 362616
Yeah, I hope it’s wide enough, too. I was pretty careful to scrape away any of the “live tissue” in between the layers.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree that hormone is not actually needed for elm family as they do strike really well but even with elms I have found that hormone not only speeds up root production but also the quantity of roots that develop. Takes very little extra time or effort, costs next to nothing and much better results.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree that hormone is not actually needed for elm family as they do strike really well but even with elms I have found that hormone not only speeds up root production but also the quantity of roots that develop. Takes very little extra time or effort, costs next to nothing and much better results.

I haven’t noticed a difference in the past when I have used it and when I haven’t. I don’t have any, so I just figured i’d try it without.

Even though I’ve had both COVID shots, I still try to limit my exposure to the extent possible. It didn’t seem to be “worth it”. (geez... it’s hard enough to get motivated to do it at all! lol!!)

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven’t noticed a difference in the past when I have used it and when I haven’t. I don’t have any, so I just figured i’d try it without.

Even though I’ve had both COVID shots, I still try to limit my exposure to the extent possible. It didn’t seem to be “worth it”. (geez... it’s hard enough to get motivated to do it at all! lol!!)
I suspect that Boon has a pretty good sense of humor. He knows what he is putting you through!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I suspect that Boon has a pretty good sense of humor. He knows what he is putting you through!
I have another Zelkova project underway at his garden. In that one, the roots are pretty good. It’s in a box, screwed to a board, but the real issue with it is it was top chopped, and when it popped back out, it was o e sided. I’ve grafted more branches on it.

That’s been a year ago, so when I go back out there in June, we’ll see if they’ve taken, and what the next step(s) will be.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Those roots were out of control lol. Excited to follow along.

I am airlayering one with a similar girth this year as well.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wait so was the air layer successful? I know you cheekily added in your new Zelkova acquisition, but how did it go with the original tree?

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wait so was the air layer successful? I know you cheekily added in your new Zelkova acquisition, but how did it go with the original tree?
I too am very interested in knowing the outcome lol.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I gues the silence chirpin of crickets in the background of this thread indicate some failure on the side of our gentle poster..

Top Bottom