Zelkova Broom attempt

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I previously attempted a broom, chopping an in-ground tree. I did it in early spring, and it quickly grew out of control, in addition to having poor branch/bud distribution.

This time, I grew out a seedling in a root pouch for a few years.

Today I chopped it-removing ~3’/1meter. The trunk is now ~6” tall, ~1” diameter.

I cleaned up the chop, drilled out the center with a 0.5” drill bit, added a wrap of twine to try and help control swelling, and put some sphagnum on top to keep the chop moist.

I’m hoping this ‘mid-season’ chop will lead to both better branch distribution and growth that’s a little more restrained. Plus, being in a’pot’, it will be easier to maintain.

But, I am looking for some input-
1) I added a plastic bag to retain more moisture. It is open at the bottom, but I’m not sure if this is helpful or hurtful.
2) I placed it back out in full sun (about 12 hours per day, temps are in the 80’s F, and tel humidity is moderate (~50%), but will get higher very soon. Should I keep it in the sun, or look for a spot where it’s shaded?

Attachments

• IMG_1686.jpeg
    IMG_1686.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 161

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
No need for shade as it has no leaves to dehydrate or burn. put it back where it normally lives so when new shoots do emerge they will be more compact.
Plastic bag could get too hot in sun. New buds will form whether you supply humidity or not. Get rid of the bag.

Just a word that zelkova do naturally have long internodes. Mine have cause frustration aver 30 odd years despite trying lots of different approaches. There must be some way to manage them but I have not yet found it.
Good luck with this project. Zelkova broom style is superb when done well so I hope you can pull it off.

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here’s the status a couple of weeks in to it - no signs of anything at the chop point, but some buds emerging lower on the trunk.

I’m thinking of rubbing out the trunk buds now, but maybe I should wait until there are buds at the chop?

And, should I remove the string wrap for now, or lower it to expose more trunk, to hopefully coax budding at the top?

Attachments

• IMG_1732.jpeg
    IMG_1732.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 167

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update: I’ve been rubbing out lower buds, but let a higher one run a little (although I did trim off multiple shoots from this spot) . However, I’ve noticed a bud popping at the top.
Now I’m trying to decide whether to trim off the side shoot in favor of the small bud on top. My hesitation comes from the tree having no leaves for a month.

Attachments

• IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1776.jpeg
    IMG_1776.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 187

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That tree does not look very happy. I would leave it alone for this season and hope for more budding in the spring.

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It had been pushing a number of buds along the trunk, but I kept rubbing them out in hopes of buds at the chop. But, I hear you, it does need to ‘set’ something before Fall gets here in order to make it into next year.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It had been pushing a number of buds along the trunk, but I kept rubbing them out in hopes of buds at the chop. But, I hear you, it does need to ‘set’ something before Fall gets here in order to make it into next year.
It takes energy for the tree to produce a bud. The tree is attempting to survive by growing new shoots. By rubbing off the new shoots, you're stomping out its efforts.

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Understood. My initial thoughts were to eliminate lower shoots to promote shoots at the chop (to achieve the broom). But, it’s becoming apparent that is not working.
Based on yours and mikecheck’s input, I’m going to let it do its thing for the rest of the year and we’ll see what happens in the Spring. Thanks for responding.

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think we know the level of patience for many of us who frequent this site….So, as I was watching the small buds develop (ie, leaves appeared), I decided to tempt fate and cut off the sucker on the side and re-wrap the top for swelling. And, this afternoon I see more buds starting. It’s a difficult thing to figure out when to ‘just wait’ a little longer.

Now let’s see if there’s enough growth to make it through winter….there’s still time, so I’m hopeful.

Attachments

• IMG_1804.jpeg
    IMG_1804.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 151

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking for input: should I trim some of the multiple branches now, or let them go longer and trim in the Fall?
I have branches starting on three ‘sides’, but there are multiple branches coming from each spot.
Im really tempted to trim excess branches now, but I am worried about pushing to much energy into the remaining branches and having them grow wild (as Shibui noted above).
Any thoughts?
(I’m mid/approaching late summer in my area)

Yes, I thought I’d leave it alone, but it has really come on strong.

Attachments

• IMG_1839.jpeg
    IMG_1839.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 102

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Looking for input: should I trim some of the multiple branches now, or let them go longer and trim in the Fall?
I have branches starting on three ‘sides’, but there are multiple branches coming from each spot.
Im really tempted to trim excess branches now, but I am worried about pushing to much energy into the remaining branches and having them grow wild (as Shibui noted above).
Any thoughts?
(I’m mid/approaching late summer in my area)

Yes, I thought I’d leave it alone, but it has really come on strong.
Stop fiddling with it and just ignore it until next year. You can do shoot selection next year

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
😁 Well, I can’t claim I didn’t trim a shoot or two, but once the buds started taking off at the chop, I’ve been very hands off.

The tree has responded well, with many (too many?) shoots, but I’ll address that around leaf drop time.

The twine was put back on to try and limit outward swelling of the trunk from the new shoots (trying to push as much swelling as possible in to the hole drilled into the trunk). I didn’t have a hose clamp handy, so this was the work around. And, there’s some ‘give’ to the twine, so I don’t have to be as attentive to swelling below the wrapping.

I admit, it was a tough 6 weeks waiting for buds, but seeing the relatively restrained growth, I would do a mid-spring chop again in a minute vs an early spring chop.

IMG_1940.jpegIMG_1941.jpeg

Top Bottom