ZELKOVA FOREST#1

Reaction score
Probably my favorite deciduous species - Zelkova Serrata .

Being in zone 4 and temp below 0 , nothing much to do in winter until April end . Was fortunate enough that Eric had some amazing 2 year seedlings of zelkova for sale in bonsaify . Picked up some and using the leftover dragon stones from my aquascaping days - 4 hour journey into making my first ever bonsai forest …

Top dressed with yamagoke moss as I was able to buy a lot from a friend who left the hobby and the pot is an old Chinese cheap one but wonderful patina ..

Hopefully the start of a long journey and now I wonder why I never tried forest . Forest is all I wanna do now …

It’s kept in my winter storage safe until May or so when spring will finally hit in our winter wonderland

D4D3B72F-DBC3-4A53-A31D-25F6B4E6E1E6.jpeg

Reaction score
Probably too dense but you’ll see when it leafs out if there’s too many trees
Very nice composition!
Thank you both !

Yeah it might be a little too dense - around 26 seedlings but I wanted to develop this very slowly and plan to stay on top of it by pruning and maintaining so that the outer ones don’t shade the inner leaves . Well of course that’s the goal and we will see if I actually stick to it

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you both !

Yeah it might be a little too dense - around 26 seedlings but I wanted to develop this very slowly and plan to stay on top of it by pruning and maintaining so that the outer ones don’t shade the inner leaves . Well of course that’s the goal and we will see if I actually stick to it
I plan on doing something similar to this with bald cypress in the near future, I just hope it comes out half as nice as yours.

Reaction score
I plan on doing something similar to this with bald cypress in the near future, I just hope it comes out half as nice as yours.
Oh that will be so lovely ! I have been on the look out for bald cypress seedlings but haven’t found any yet . I shall follow it closely when you start

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like this very much! Nice feel to the placements of the rocks, and they are good shapes. I think it will be a little dense, but you can subtract as needed easily.

Reaction score
I like this very much! Nice feel to the placements of the rocks, and they are good shapes. I think it will be a little dense, but you can subtract as needed easily.
Thank you ! It means a lot coming from you . Yeah I do plan to remove if things get too dense.
I thought it’s easier for me to subtract rather than add to the composition later in the developmental stage and hence started with higher number .

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you ! It means a lot coming from you . Yeah I do plan to remove if things get too dense.
I thought it’s easier for me to subtract rather than add to the composition later in the developmental stage and hence started with higher number .
I just like that you thought in more dimensions than most forest compositions I see.

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone can tell me what does the ink mean underneath the pot ? It was a used pot from a junk of old Chinese production pot . Didn’t think much of it as it only costed me 20$ . But still am curious 🧐

D096445E-AF1E-4767-BBB9-CBC11ABC80DB.jpeg

E09658C6-8D04-4E2F-AAE1-92946DFD5616.jpeg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The zelkova Forrest is slowly approaching defoliation time .

Am so happy with Grow Big fertilizer from fox farm . Fertilizing once a week has made such a huge difference .

View attachment 491657
Coming along very nice. Eric has some good videos on pruning zelkova forests on his Bonsaify channel on YouTube. I have a clump with about 12 trees that needs a late spring trim.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great clump Abhi, have you got a winter update for this year?

Top Bottom