Votes: 5 20.0%
  • What will your wife say?

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over the weekend I was at a bonsai sale of someone passed away last month. There were a few hundred trees, not all of them realistic to transport. One of them is this zelkova-over-deadwood-forest, of about 6-7ft long, 2-3ft tall. For scale: The biggers tree on the top-right is about wrist thick.

Not the best forest I have ever seen. But a few trees in there might make interesting solitairs. Or, I could take it apart, work on the individuals for a year or two, and put it back together smaller, selling off the rest of the stock. All trees have knots and bigger scars from old chops, many can be restored / closed, but it will take time..

I might be able to negotiate down to 100E for the whole thing, assuming I bring cash and am willing to take it on the spot.

Thing is, space is scarce in the garden; I have 20 trees on the list for the European Bonsai Auctions to ensure next growing season allows me walking space. I do not need the thing.

Is it a good deal? Or should I pass up on it?

Thoughts?

1606913362076.png

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think 100 e would be a steal. only take it if youre confident that you could improve it and increase its value. there is an old, craggy enchanted forest in there just waiting to be unleashed. its the kind of project a Ryan neil or a Mach5 would take and restore beyond all recognition!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
project a Ryan neil or a Mach5 would take and restore beyond all recognition!
I ain't no Neil nor do I fly Mach5!

only take it if youre confident that you could improve it and increase its value

I think in my yard it would become separated to start with.
Then again.. All not sold in a week or two will go to a general trader, who will probably not work it either as is..

I think even taking it apart, cleaning up the cuts and re-positioning a subset of the trees will double the value overnight..

It is just so big. Not sure how to get it here.
A 3 person plant.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Do you like working with Zelkova? if yes, then get it, 100euro is not overpriced for age of material.

Personally, I am not fond of zelkova, they bore me, as do boxwood. I would pass.

Regardless, if you bought this there would be years, at least 10 years getting these trees back under "control", but the significant age the trunks already have can not be replicated easily.

If you enjoy working on zelkova, go for it.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
€100 is a superb price for that amount of material. It has a degree of maturity to it, though I'd say it needs breaking down and reshaping, taking many of the trees back to basics. It would be a lot of work, and you already sound like you have too many projects. The size alone would put me off to be honest. Also think about the cost of pots for that size of forest.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
€100 is a superb price for that amount of material. It has a degree of maturity to it, though I'd say it needs breaking down and reshaping, taking many of the trees back to basics. It would be a lot of work, and you already sound like you have too many projects. The size alone would put me off to be honest. Also think about the cost of pots for that size of forest.
Yeah. I am not sure where I am, tree-wise. 150? 160? in pots. And "a few" in a growing field. So.. that makes it hard. If I had easy space & time it would have been here. Wondering whether I will be kicking myself in a year if I do not take it..

age of material.
What I was thinking indeed.

Difficult one.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Is it 8 trees? 12.50 a trunk even without the pot that's pretty good.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would personally pass.
I'm no expert but I would make some chops and reductions that would take more time to heal than to regrow them from a cutting in an individual pot and put them together as a forest.

I just learned about saying 'no' when in doubt, so I respect your choice.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I always say, if you even have to debate making a purchase like this you should pass. But its alot to play with for the price, so really not a bad idea

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I always say, if you even have to debate making a purchase like this you should pass.

Interesting thought. I follow the same logic but then end up at the opposite conclusion 😜

Buy it!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting thought. I follow the same logic but then end up at the opposite conclusion 😜

Buy it!
Oh yeah thats absolutely not to say I follow my own advice haha. Quite talented at giving advice I dont listen to myself. I bought probably 3 or so trees this year that I regretted soon after. Buyers remorse if I do, buyers remorse if I dont.

My famous last words before an irresponsible purchase: you only live once, treat yoself

Top Bottom