Zelkova from Cuttings

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wrapped a few zelkova

While the vast majority of my cuttings were wired straight and put in the ground for Broom air-layers,I kept 10 separate and made twigs from pinching and restraining leaves to really just do their own thing.
These are quite interesting really and they trunk up relatively quick.
Be nice in the Spring to see how they turn out!
And also see how the roots look,maybe air-layer some if one sided.

Attachments

• B12FF93D-E46D-4497-8762-34E80F6C0C5F.jpeg
    B12FF93D-E46D-4497-8762-34E80F6C0C5F.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 146
  • F124C6F8-D7E8-46DC-8FB8-6781A46E2B4B.jpeg
    F124C6F8-D7E8-46DC-8FB8-6781A46E2B4B.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 133
  • C51183D5-15AD-4EFE-81BF-B51F72756093.jpeg
    C51183D5-15AD-4EFE-81BF-B51F72756093.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 117
  • D00457B7-1B4A-42B5-A16C-FEDE539BD4FD.jpeg
    D00457B7-1B4A-42B5-A16C-FEDE539BD4FD.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 8F698D1C-7E74-47DF-ACFF-065E4D0B714A.jpeg
    8F698D1C-7E74-47DF-ACFF-065E4D0B714A.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 124
  • A773D241-2063-42D9-B34B-CAFD03B55318.jpeg
    A773D241-2063-42D9-B34B-CAFD03B55318.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 203

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't know if we're allowed to share these. If not, thanks to the moderators to delete.

Here are some tips for growing Zelkova, from a French short-lived magazine in the late 1990s, most of its content translated form a Japanese publication. The photos speak for themselves :

AK0002.jpgAK0003.jpgAK0004.jpgAK0005.jpgAK0006.jpgAK0007.jpgAK0008.jpgAK0008b.jpgAK0009.jpgAK0010.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are some tips for growing Zelkova
How very interesting!
I never tried Zelkova seedling cuttings!
The first and second season whips air-layer in two weeks.I have even air-layered 3 month old seedlings with great results.Way cool!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 6C1F777D-B1EF-4F4A-9332-4016CFBEF93B.jpeg
    6C1F777D-B1EF-4F4A-9332-4016CFBEF93B.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 201

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grow Room upgrade

Upgraded the grow room to start trees early.Speed up the process of Broom Air-layers.
Hopefully have a good batch of seeds in the refrigerator and I’m going to try to get a bunch of these going really early for spring to accelerate the trunk thickening.
Like a few weeks from now!
A proper heat mat too.Commercial with a thermostat!
https://growerslights.com/collectio...l-quantum-board-led-kit?variant=8194656567397

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Early start with Zelkova

Well I guess I don’t start all of these from cuttings like the thread title suggest.
Finally a good batch of seed!
They were starting to sprout in the refrigerator,so planted them all.
A four month head start on these! I wonder how high I will be raising the grow light:rolleyes:
I believe they will do fine though.
I want to plant straight into the ground in Spring to let thicken a season for Broom air-layers.It is nice to get an early start!! And hopefully make different sizes with different methods;)
I will probably do more from cuttings in Spring and if I prepare a grow bed with the roto-tiller for some good, open soil I should be able to plant them straight into the ground also.....we’ll see,I never tried that.Or at least very soon after.

Attachments

• 0165D888-837B-43E8-B6DA-AC46C0755901.jpeg
    0165D888-837B-43E8-B6DA-AC46C0755901.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Early start with Zelkova

Well I guess I don’t start all of these from cuttings like the thread title suggest.
A four month head start on these! I wonder how high I will be raising the grow light:rolleyes:
I want to plant straight into the ground in Spring to let thicken a season for Broom air-layers.It is nice to get an early start!! And hopefully make different sizes with different methods;)
I will probably do more from cuttings in Spring and if I prepare a grow bed with the roto-tiller for some good, open soil I should be able to plant them straight into the ground also.....we’ll see,I never tried that.Or at least very soon after.

How about Hardwood cutting in the winter? Going to start hardwood cuttings soon on other trees because we should have hit that 1k dormancy hours already.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How about Hardwood cutting in the winter?
Actually never tried hardwood cutting......I have parts and instructions for a homemade aquaponic cloner.I have seen hardwood oak cuttings root in them things!

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Actually never tried hardwood cutting......I have parts and instructions for a homemade aquaponic cloner.I have seen hardwood oak cuttings root in them things!
Cool, I use a plastic totes i can, drill a few drain holes, snap a lid on, and keep it humid . Works well on my tropical cuttings anyways.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
How about Hardwood cutting in the winter?

I ùmade one by "accident" : after pruning a large one (in the ground) around the beginning of February, I just stuck a 0.5 cm (1/5 of an inch) branch in a pot that used to host annual flowers, and it produced roots. I didn't use it though because since it was from a tree that is regularly pruned, the internodes are very long, I gave it to a friend to plant in his garden.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@cmeg1 why are you doing cuttings to air layer? My cuttings usually put out radial roots from the cutting. Just curious.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
why are you doing cuttings to air layer?
I like the results from air-layering my cuttings in their second growing season(also first season too).
When making a lot of cuttings ,some are one sided.
The air-layering is so quick on young saplings that it just worth doing in my opinion.Many more radial roots in a matter of days!
Better stability in shallow pots once roots are hardened off.

In Spring I will be air-layering about 20, and half of them will have leaders intact and be planted in larger Rootpouch grow bags on inverted saucers after the layering process to grow on a while for bigger trunks.
Will probably use coarse perlite for the potting media under the cover of leaves to retain moisture.Roots should be awesome!
Then in Winter can sink the Rootpouch into the ground for dormancy.
Rootpouch bags keep all the roots inside and pruned,so I can lift them in Spring very easily and see what I got.

Attachments

• F170D669-E8BB-498A-98BC-868B9EC63501.jpeg
    F170D669-E8BB-498A-98BC-868B9EC63501.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 59DE5A63-923A-4B17-93C7-31856F8F461D.jpeg
    59DE5A63-923A-4B17-93C7-31856F8F461D.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 85
  • AC90B065-FF59-4171-8A71-58BE983D681E.jpeg
    AC90B065-FF59-4171-8A71-58BE983D681E.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone know if cuttings can be taken before budbreak. I have a zelkova that I'll be trunk chopping in the spring to become a broom. It seems a shame to just get rid of the top.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Does anyone know if cuttings can be taken before budbreak. I have a zelkova that I'll be trunk chopping in the spring to become a broom. It seems a shame to just get rid of the top.

While I haven't done Zelkova hardwood cuttings, you are suppose to get then from winter to bud swelling from my understanding. But if it's like a 2 inch trunk i'm sure it would be better to air-layer it, if you want to keep it. If you cut them when the buds are greening/budding i would try to keep them in humidity.
I like the results from air-layering my cuttings in their second growing season(also first season too).
When making a lot of cuttings ,some are one sided.
The air-layering is so quick on young saplings that it just worth doing in my opinion.Many more radial roots in a matter of days!
Better stability in shallow pots once roots are hardened off.

In Spring I will be air-layering about 20, and half of them will have leaders intact and be planted in larger Rootpouch grow bags on inverted saucers after the layering process to grow on a while for bigger trunks.
Will probably use coarse perlite for the potting media under the cover of leaves to retain moisture.Roots should be awesome!
Then in Winter can sink the Rootpouch into the ground for dormancy.
Rootpouch bags keep all the roots inside and pruned,so I can lift them in Spring very easily and see what I got.

When i air-layer things, i get a massive roots on one side and then another section is bare with lots of sugars built up. Maybe it's just the type of trees, as i haven't air-layered Zelkova...yet!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While I haven't done Zelkova hardwood cuttings, you are suppose to get then from winter to bud swelling from my understanding. But if it's like a 2 inch trunk i'm sure it would be better to air-layer it, if you want to keep it. If you cut them when the buds are greening/budding i would try to keep them in humidity.

When i air-layer things, i get a massive roots on one side and then another section is bare with lots of sugars built up. Maybe it's just the type of trees, as i haven't air-layered Zelkova...yet!
I found air layering zelkova after 2nd growing season to be hit or miss with so so results.
1st or 2nd growing season whips though are completely done in about 15 days with great results like in my post above.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Early start with Zelkova

Well I decided to give up on these indoor Zelkova seedlings.I have much better and quicker success with making cuttings in Spring from a stock plant outdoors.Can easily have 50 or so by July 1st.
I can turn one or two of mine into mother plants with heavy fertilizing or buy one from Brent.
Starting Zelkova early indoors really is not worth the trouble since I harvest rainwater......my pines are doing great starting early indoors though!
I am excited about them and it seems worth the time.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

I would keep them outdoors covered but with a heat mat. You don’t really want the buds swelling and opening before you have roots during the winter. I believe I heard someone say that the optimal ambient air temp is 45 degrees and root zone temp of 80 degrees for root formation less bud swell

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I would keep them outdoors covered but with a heat mat. You don’t really want the buds swelling and opening before you have roots during the winter. I believe I heard someone say that the optimal ambient air temp is 45 degrees and root zone temp of 80 degrees for root formation less bud swell
That would be impossible up here, except maybe during early/mid spring. I would have to do hardwood cuttings inside or cut them soon and put a tray outside. I doubt i could get my heating mat in my greenhouse close to that until spring.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
CM BONSAI
Well,it is just about official now.I always wanted to be able to sell and ship these Zelkova to whoever may want to add one to there collection when I am done fiddling with them.
So I am now a licensed nursery in compliance with the USDA to ship these throughout most of the US.
Going to propagate on a much larger scale this season....gives me something to do and inspires me to do better work.YAY:D
I don’t have none ready yet but give me one more season.lol

Top Bottom