Zelkova group planting - When odd is odd

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am working on an old Zelkova forest, and rebuilding after splitting up a very large and overgrown / poorly maintained zelkova landscape planting.

To reduce size, I am not putting all the trees back together. I am now looking at a medium-sized group. Final height about 2 1/2 feet (75cm), and similar width, based on two pieces I prepared earlier:

1607685533538.png

1607685553208.png

The first one is a tree with two main trunk, splitting about 4 inches above the nebari.
The second is a clump of 3 trunks (To be fair, a twin-trunk to which I screwed a third trunk, to fuse over time).

For smaller numbers of trunks, groups and clumps should ideally have an odd number of trunks.

Question I would have is..
Does this mean at the soil-line? Or could I claim this as a five-trunk group?

1607685796744.png

1607685864441.png

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the descriptions of multiple trunk or clump styles I can find seem to focus on the fact that the branches or trunks should start more or less at the same height or point and that they share the root base.

Clump style bonsai should have three or more (an odd number) trunks grow from a single point. The natural equivalent might be a group of trees that have sprouted from a single cone, or a collection of mature suckers springing from the base of a single tree. All branches should grow outwards towards the light and create an overall triangular shape and composite crown.

A multi-trunk or clump-form bonsai has three or more odd-numbered trunks growing from the same root base. This article describes one method of developing a multi-trunk bonsai; it also illustrates a technique for developing the nebari (surface roots) that can be used for trees with single trunks in development for bonsai.

Multiple Trunks from a Single Root System There are many variations, and combinations, to this style. The most common of these are: 1. Twin-trunk style (Sokan); two trunks joined together 2. Clump or Sprout Style (Kabudachi); three or more odd numbers of trunks 3. Stump or Turtle-back style (Korabuki); surface roots are bulged up 4. Straight line or Raft Style (Ikadabuki); single trunk growing along the ground, branches become new trunks 5. Sinuous Style or Raft from Root (Netsunagari); traveling surface roots with suckers In the above styles multiple trunks are joined by a common root system.

The last one seems the most useful (4 & 5) http://bsgkc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Multiple-Trunks-from-a-Single-Root-System-Clump.pdf

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The only multiple trunk that looks good imho is your old twin trunk. So your best option would be to go with two independent trees and the old twin trunk. Three bonsai.

Nothing here lends itself to a clump style, imho.

If you wanted to go with a forest, I would set up the three trunk as a group on one side of the pot, with the 4th tree widely separated as a solo tree on the other side. The three trunk you would have to do a little work on to lean your screwed-on tree away from your twin trunk.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So your best option would be to go with two independent trees and the old twin trunk. Three bonsai.
Hm.. Nope. Too many pots. And I feel it would not do justice to the original owner. So I am planning on bringing some bits back together to a forest. Will share some pictures of the first stage of work later.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It works, looks like you got some harmony going on there.
as you set the primary structure i would want to give every branch its place, no crossing branches, no growth in crotches, no snaking back branches, everything up n out to maximise growth and strength as the tree is in the development phase, as it ramifies you can allow twigs that cross here n there.
this species can be predominantly developed with clip n grow. at the beginning i only really wired out the primary branch lines on my big Zelkova, throughout the season has been all directional pruning. you can encourage up n out growth simply by directional pruning.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems (to me) sinister and imposing.. with a “squeeze” of “mystery”..
well thank you. I am happy it hit the original feel a little bit..:

1607892674179.png

As the previous owner passed away I felt the actions should build upon his work. But.. THe original was too large, and too poorly managed to keep as it was..

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
All the bigger chopped branches were put in a pot with some rooting gell at the cutsites. Hoping for a few thick cuttings. Else, there is a layer-site left on the trees in the middle of the forest....

View attachment 344251
That layer looks like a prime candidate!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Feeling stupid. Drying the tops of my benches in the sub, standing them on their side. And a windgust blew them over. One of the tops fell on top of a 2-er group.
So I decided to fill the right of the forest, with the mangled group below (minus a few branches, sigh).
20201220-R14A4535.jpg

Top Bottom