Zelkova Material?

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thoughts on this Zelkova Serrata material/ potential? Tree is around 18-19” tall. I’d carve out the top there to make it concave/ taper. Cut off some of the nob scaring on the sides. Then either reduce to around the red lines or the blue lines. For a broom.
Also seems to be a number of ways it could be taken that aren’t broom?

Attachments

• CB1FABE2-1CC0-4F61-A864-7A7922C10BB6.jpeg
    CB1FABE2-1CC0-4F61-A864-7A7922C10BB6.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 168

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
for $300 it’s not terrible size wise But I think this will require patience with fixing issues.
you Could always start from seed too!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to see more pics too, without markups.

I think it harder to see the future and how it will make something look more pleasant.

Easier to want to work now and "see" something as better by carving a past that didn't exist.

I wouldn't worry about that notch.

I like the structure of the low branch, but the first division of both top branches should move away from each other more.

Eliminating one of those extensions on each, will also allow your lowest branch to grow thicker than the higher ones as it should.

I'd aim to layer it for a proper nebari.

The rest of what you have to work with is worth it.

Sorce

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Just a prospect tree I was thinking about purchasing from a local(ish) nursery. Might hold off and look for some cheaper material that isn't so complex considering my skill level.

Attachments

• 9975-010-2.jpg
    9975-010-2.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 145
  • zelkova serrata 9975-010-1 evergreengardenworks.jpg
    zelkova serrata 9975-010-1 evergreengardenworks.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 142

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems to me that you’re carving ideas goal is to make the main trunk more fluidly match the top trunk. Rather than carving, why not let that very upmost branch run to about 5-6’ tall allowing the upper-central trunk to grow, fatten, and better match in gradual taper from the point of the initial chop of the lower main trunk..?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ground layer and a naturlistic style (ala Walter Paul), is what is see ror this tree. Loads of potential.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ground layer and a naturlistic style (ala Walter Paul), is what is see ror this tree. Loads of potential.
“Naturalistic” for a zelkova is the classic broom.

If you want to style it in any other style, it may be naturalistic for another species of tree, but it wont be a naturalistic zelkova. It may resemble an oak, or a hornbeam or a hawthorn or maple, but not a zelkova.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leave the nob. Removing it will just give you another scar and unless you know what you are doing, chances are it will be a bulge again.

When pruning the canopy, do not just cut a profile. Look for areas that are overly long without take and trim those back. Thick branches are cut back stronger than thing branches etcetc.

I would not buy this tree for 300 dollars; The big chop will take a decade if not more to heal, and might never be a pleasing area. Zelkova for me has gorgeous bark, unfortunately bark that does not hide the work don. In a decade you could probably grow one from a younger plant. But maybe this trunk is very old and has started to crack and peel, which would make it more interesting.

Top Bottom