Zelkova question

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey, everyone.
So, got a bunch of trees earlier this summer from EGW. Brent's instructions were to slip-pot immediately after arrival. Only problem was when that happened, the only soil I had lying around was regular potting soil. It's always damp, has a hard time drying out. I'm really afraid of repotting it yet again this late in the year into better soil. As you can see, something is affecting the leaves.

As I see them, my options are:
1) Plant in the ground now and allow the trunk to develop over the next few years. Space is limited for that, but I could find a place.
2) leave it in the potting soil over the winter (probably in the garage when it gets cold) then either repot in spring or plant in the ground in spring.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200905_115931.jpg
    20200905_115931.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 47

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
You can leave as is. Just really pay attention to watering. We used to do succulent arrangements in normal potting soil(not succulent mix), just rarely watered.

When you water continue until water runs out the bottom. Gauge the weight of the pot when soaked with water. Make a mental note. It will be heavy, obviously. Leave it for several days until the pot is much lighter and the soil viewed from the drainage holes on the bottom is dry.

Last edited:

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
you won't rot the roots just go easy on the water. Remember that potting soil is just that .. soil for potting plants. It's not poison, it's just a crappy long term substrate for trees. That said, it's most dangerous in the winter, if you have really wet and cold winters it can get waterlogged and freeze solid which is no good

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
you won't rot the roots just go easy on the water. Remember that potting soil is just that .. soil for potting plants. It's not poison, it's just a crappy long term substrate for trees. That said, it's most dangerous in the winter, if you have really wet and cold winters it can get waterlogged and freeze solid which is no good

Aye, it's the winter I fear.
I figure I'll mulch the pots around the junipers and conifers and leave them outside. The deciduous trees (I have 3 elms, a Ginkgo and a trident maple) I will also keep outdoors, but when the night time temps are going below 25 F, they're either going into the shed or the garage once they drop.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you! I just don't want to rot the roots.

You will only rot the roots if the inner root ball sits in standing water. By slip-potting, you are surrounding the rootball with a drainage layer that will give the rootball a little breathing space... but realistically you shouldn't expect too much root growth this late in the season. The reason Brent told you not to repot is to not mess with the roots this late in the year. September and the trees are ramping down and starting to store carbs in the roots. Mess with the roots too much - trim them, etc - and you may impact the ability of the tree to live through the winter.

But aside from roots... when I look at your tree I think of one question: what is your water pH? Bet it is 7.5 or higher... Your tree looks to me like a tree that gets a lot of alkaline irrigation water.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
But aside from roots... when I look at your tree I think of one question: what is your water pH? Bet it is 7.5 or higher... Your tree looks to me like a tree that gets a lot of alkaline irrigation water.

By Jove, you're right!! It's hard to tell exactly, but it looks like my test kit is showing a Ph of around 8.0! Wow! That's water out of the tap. Gads, I don't think my fish tank is that alkaline. gonna have to test it again too!

And ref the repotting, you're correct. Brent instructed to slip-pot on delivery, but advised against doing it again before next spring. I just wondered if the ground was an escape hatch.

So, what's the solution to this issue? is there a fertilizer/soil amendment I need to add?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Putting it in the ground is like sending it to the hospital. It is the safest move.

Top Bottom