Zelkova repotting

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought you didn't trim the roots or is that only for new nursery plants?
I have bought a lot of 'lemons' at local garden center nurseries, much of it plants declining because the soil in the pot that is now way too small is broken down. With many of these I've knocked or cut off the plastic pot and simply loosened roots from the surface of the 'ball' before I set it in a bigger pot with a layer of medium bark on the bottom and then backfilled with a mix of medium bark and some dirt/potting-soil (upto an equal part). I proceed with HBR/BR, including some root pruning, of healthy nursery stock in Aug/Sep or the following spring 'as buds swell'.

My comment
Again, my repotting methodology is to completely bare root, combing and trimming using the bottom of the pot as a template. Then wire back into the original pot of substrate.
is about what I did and continue to do with trees that were described in my series of repotting experiment threads. This is what I always do with maples though only in the spring 'as buds swell', Otherwise, I do not make a point of bare rooting my trees (not in garden soil/dirt)..

Last edited:
Top Bottom