Zelkova Serrata or Ulmus Parvifolia?

Lilliput

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This was sold as an Ulmus Parvifolia and then came with a sticker that said "Zelkova Parvifolia". I have read what I can find about their differences but still feel unsure. Most important is it to know if it's a Zelkova or an Ulmus, as I will be keeping it outdoors in Norway through the winter if possible.

I think this is a Zelkova Serrata of some kind, but regular Zelkova has bigger leaves than this one. It has single-toothed and slightly rough leaves, new leaves come with orange/pink colours and turn green with time.

Thank you in advance for any and all insights you might have!

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_155639.jpg
    IMG_20220916_155639.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20220916_155523.jpg
    IMG_20220916_155523.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20220916_155429.jpg
    IMG_20220916_155429.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20220723_111513.jpg
    IMG_20220723_111513.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 154

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That one's peculiar, but I'd say elm. Zelkova has pointier leaves.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The base of an elm leaf, where the each side of the leaf joins the central vein, in elms the left and right side are uneven. The two sides of the leaf blade do not line up. In Zelkova the base of the leaf blade the insertion point is equal. Both sides of the leaf blade terminate on the vein at the same point. From the photos, as far as I can tell, this is Zelkova. Yes, zelkova have more slender leaves on the average, but the leaf bases are a more important characteristic. I'd say Zelkova, but without seeing the tree in person I can't be more than 90% certain.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have heard of chinese elm mislabeled as zelkova parvifolia and that’s what I think it is. I have both and just compared them to the photos and the leaves seem to have characteristics of both but more like Chinese elm.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
In EU countries Chinese elm are often deliberately miss- named by the trade as Zelkova to get around Plant Passporting restrictions

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yes, Zelkova parvifolia is an old "trick" to import Chinese elms to Europe, in the time when the Duthc elm disease was rambling all across Europe

Lilliput

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you everyone for your answers and insights. I have studied my tree some more and used far too much time reading up on it, so here are my thoughts:

Could be Zelkova because:
- leaves are bigger than usual for an Ulmus + instead of glossy and dark green they are a lighter green and rough on the surface.
- leaves "look like Zelkova" and are single-toothed.
- it has the typical bark of a Zelkova (smooth and grey with orange lenticels).
- new growth comes in orange-pink and turns green with time as I read is true for a Zelkova.
- my tree has already started to get fall colours on some leaves, something more in line with a Zelkova. Ulmus can be very slow to get fall colours and leaf drop, as I understand.

Could be Ulmus because:
- it has an uneven leaf base on most of the leaves (around 80-90%) like an Ulmus.
- leaves are smaller than usual for a Zelkova.

So.. all in all, that sounds like a Zelkova right? I have read that there are types of Zelkova with smaller leaves. That does not explain why it has the uneven leaf base though, as that is supposed to be a difference between elms and Zelkova.. Still confused, so I will treat it like an Ulmus Parvifolia during the winter to be safe.

Thank you again for your help with this mystery tree!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
- leaves are bigger than usual for an Ulmus + instead of glossy and dark green they are a lighter green and rough on the surface.
Chinese elm can make a wide range of leave size depends on the growing conditions and cultivars.
- new growth comes in orange-pink and turns green with time as I read is true for a Zelkova.
Also Chinese elm make orange-red new growth depends on the growing condition.
- my tree has already started to get fall colours on some leaves, something more in line with a Zelkova. Ulmus can be very slow to get fall colours and leaf drop, as I understand.
Chinese elm also have fall colours in colder climates.
- it has the typical bark of a Zelkova (smooth and grey with orange lenticels).
Chinese elm also can have that bark colour for a time and then with time start shedding bark pieces giving the normal appaerance of the species.

In my opinion that tree 99.9% is a Chinese elm.

Lilliput

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Chinese elm can make a wide range of leave size depends on the growing conditions and cultivars.

Also Chinese elm make orange-red new growth depends on the growing condition.

Chinese elm also have fall colours in colder climates.

Chinese elm also can have that bark colour for a time and then with time start shedding bark pieces giving the normal appaerance of the species.

In my opinion that tree 99.9% is a Chinese elm.
Thank you for your helpful reply. So I have a Chinese Elm on my hands, that is good to know!

Top Bottom