Zelkova Serrata Overwintering

walawelo

Sapling
Reaction score
I bought one of these cheap mass produced Zelkova serrata bonsai. I think I can prune it into something interesting. Label says to winter indoors but I'm out of space indoors and need it to drop its leaves for the winter. I read its naturally deciduous. Can I over winter it in an unheated garage with other deciduous plants (no light what so ever)? its 9 c degrees right now, most other deciduous trees already dropped or are dropping leaves but the Zalkova is still growing strong. first frost will be in about a week. I'm located in south east Europe. temperatures at night can drop tp as low as =5 c in winter.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Zelkova is fine unprotected outside here down to -5C at night in winter. Mine just stay on the benches in the frost all winter.
What deciduous do you put in the garage? All my trees are fine outside all winter except ficus.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zelkova is hardy as nails.

Just make sure yuo have selkova. I have NOT come across zelkova in mass produced batches. Here these are invariably mislabelled chinese elms, which are less frost resistent (But can still deal with moderate frost quite easily).

walawelo

Sapling
Reaction score
since I got into the hobby last year I buried the pots of conifers and brought deciduous into the garage during winter (smoke tree, oak fusion project and a red prunus). I read that the ground under soil level doesn't freeze therefore root balls of bonsai must never be allowed to freeze. I also know in nurseries they heel potted saplings into ground or compost pile for winter protection. am I doing too much unnecessary work? XD

walawelo

Sapling
Reaction score
Zelkova is hardy as nails.

Just make sure yuo have selkova. I have NOT come across zelkova in mass produced batches. Here these are invariably mislabelled chinese elms, which are less frost resistent (But can still deal with moderate frost quite easily).
Well the ID app said it a Chinese elm too. Can you please confirm?

Attachments

• b4c127a0-6957-4f86-b910-3908c9bad72a.jpg
    b4c127a0-6957-4f86-b910-3908c9bad72a.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 3b7d21d5-e072-4ccf-b8bb-ca81715d8314.jpg
    3b7d21d5-e072-4ccf-b8bb-ca81715d8314.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 58

walawelo

Sapling
Reaction score
so what is the expert opinion, leave outside, garage or find a sunny spot indoors?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How cold does it get for you in winter? Up to -10c I leave them unprotected. Colder and sustained I move them to a garage.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Our winter temps are similar to you. Chinese elm are fine outside all year here. We experience occasional death of a branch on older trees but I don't think that is related to winter temps.

Top Bottom