Zelkova training

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Hello, I am curious to know if zelkovas will respond the same way as maples with the "hole drilled in a tile" technique? Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As far as i know just about all deciduous trees will react the same way to the hole in the tile technique I have a acer campesture, a stewartia, and a chinese elm "nire" growing using that technique and all seem to be developing the same.Zelkova is in the same family as the chinese elm so it should work fine.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I was assuming all would react in a similar way. Thanks.

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
I believe it will also work with conifers. I think it is a matter of try to find something it won't work with.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had good results with a hose clamp you can get from NAPA or any other Auto parts store

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 220

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The benefit of the clamp is the ability to use it on older trees. No cutting tile. Great idea!!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dave was this done as an air layer or ground layer, guess this qualifies as the tournicate method??

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
Interesting use of the clamp. Could a person just use 3-4mm aluminum wire?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
reddog if my previous post holds true the answer is yes, but I'm not sure what fanghorn did.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
reddog if my previous post holds true the answer is yes, but I'm not sure what fanghorn did.

Bill, this was a ground layer. I first tried the wire method and the tree just grew right around it, so I went with the clamp.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I have also had trees grow around wire, go with the clamp if you are doing bigger trees for sure. Im not sure who posted it, but have you tried pines with a tile? That would be pretty awesome if that were true.

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

Nice idea re: hose clamp. What time of year do you perform this?
I've got a maple with some reverse taper on the bottom couple of inches. I'm thinking about trying this method - applying the clamp above the reverse taper, and burying up to the clamp to force out new roots.

Did you do this in the spring, or in the fall?

Cam.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I know d trees start more agressive root growth in the fall to get ready for winter. I would think you wouldnt want to put it too tight to start because the clamp would scrape the bark off as it tightens. Maybe put some raffia on it before making it real tight. I think it would be safe to do it anytime. Your not really doing anything to the tree. My question is how far above the clamp, or wire would you have your soils, and does one type of soil or another work better for the "top coat"?

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

Nice idea re: hose clamp. What time of year do you perform this?
I've got a maple with some reverse taper on the bottom couple of inches. I'm thinking about trying this method - applying the clamp above the reverse taper, and burying up to the clamp to force out new roots.

Did you do this in the spring, or in the fall?

Cam.

I did it in the Spring.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know d trees start more agressive root growth in the fall to get ready for winter. I would think you wouldnt want to put it too tight to start because the clamp would scrape the bark off as it tightens. Maybe put some raffia on it before making it real tight. I think it would be safe to do it anytime. Your not really doing anything to the tree. My question is how far above the clamp, or wire would you have your soils, and does one type of soil or another work better for the "top coat"?

I had the clamp about 4 inches below the soil level. I did mix in some turface fines that I had leftover from making some bonsai soil with just regular soil above it just to make it a little more friable.
I have to believe this could work with your tridents too

Top Bottom