Zelkova

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is that a round pot? If so, the tree should be in the center.
It is round. I had it centered but the lower left branch looked dominant and when I offset it a little I thought it balanced it. When I repot I'll center it. I knew that guideline and I find it funny that I got called out right away.

manlion89

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Is that a round pot? If so, the tree should be in the center.

I went to a Jim Barrett tree critique in January of this year and he kept repeating that a tree should never be positioned in the center of the pot because that is where Buddha sits. That phrase stuck in my head. Does this centering rule not apply to round pots and if so, why?

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I went to a Jim Barrett tree critique in January of this year and he kept repeating that a tree should never be positioned in the center of the pot because that is where Buddha sits. That phrase stuck in my head. Does this centering rule not apply to round pots and if so, why?
I think you center in a round pot so that there is no front and it can be viewed from any angle.

manlion89

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I think you center in a round pot so that there is no front and it can be viewed from any angle.
That makes sense if the tree has no clear front. From a balance and flow perspective, if the tree has a clear front, wouldn’t it be better to position the tree off center in a round pot to complement the trees best attributes?

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That makes sense if the tree has no clear front. From a balance and flow perspective, if the tree has a clear front, wouldn’t it be better to position the tree off center in a round pot to complement the trees best attributes?
That's kinda what I tried to do. I like to look at Bonsai rules as guidelines that are meant to help make your tree look "right". But I'm still new so I follow them unless I don't think it makes it look good.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did Buddha tell him that??? Lol!!!
No, the tree should be centered. So that the roots on all sides have an equal amount of soil to grow into. Over time, the roots on one side will get weaker, and the other side will get stronger.

Even on rectangular and oval pots, the tree should be planted very close to the center of the pot. Just barely off center.

It’s time for some of these arbitrary “rules” such as this “where Buddha sits” to be debunked! Sorry, it’s just wrong!

manlion89

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
No, the tree should be centered. So that the roots on all sides have an equal amount of soil to grow into. Over time, the roots on one side will get weaker, and the other side will get stronger.

Even on rectangular and oval pots, the tree should be planted very close to the center of the pot. Just barely off center.

It’s time for some of these arbitrary “rules” such as this “where Buddha sits” to be debunked! Sorry, it’s just wrong!

This makes a ton of sense. Explaining the why is the best way to debunk some of these old rules that don’t serve an aesthetic or horticulture purpose. I really appreciate the clear and logical explanation!

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I thought is was just for aesthetics, hadn't given a thought about root activity. It's only slightly offset so I think I'll leave it till next year then repot centered a little better. Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whose pot?

Can we see the bottom?

Looks like one I got.

Hey....
Art is All about Aesthetics!

If you think about it, each root will get to the wall and turn regardless. What is one side having a couple inches more before it turns going to change?

Jammed to one side is silly.

That seems ok.

Out of 400 trees in the center of a round pot.....
One different will get more attention.

The greater question then is....
What will you display to that attention?

Chiggy chop!

Door in one hand, saw in the other!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree, I too am looking forward how this will develop.

I am located in Federal Way. Welcome

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That was why THIS year I repotted my elm...slightly... off center. Not Buddha offensive off but still off a bit. It doesn't look satisfactory from ...all sides. 😟

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There’s always a best viewing angle (front). Some trees might look good from several (or “all”) sides, but attempting to create a “no-sided” tree will result in an overall inferior one. You see, “back branches” serve an important function. They give “depth” to the visual image. And, traditionally, the apex of the tree should move forward towards the viewer. This foreshortens the trunk and aids in making the tree appear “large” when it’s actually small.

If you look at bonsai from the sides, you will see that the trunks move forward, the back branches are longer than the ones on the sides. The branches on the front of the tree are the shortest.

The exception to this are the formal uprights. They should have straight vertical trunks, like Christmas trees. Even then, they will often have a very slight tilt forward.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Did some pruning and wiring. I think it's starting to look better. Thinking about reducing the top, taking it to the first branch.20210421_083330.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Informal upright, natural style.
Informal upright and natural are two different styles.

A traditional informal upright usually involves chops and years of free growth inbetween, with branches that are level or sweep down. The trunk usually changes direction drastically with pronounced taper.

A natural style silhouette usually resembles a flame, with upswept branches. Can very from chunky and wild, to thin and feminine.

If you have a great eye, you can make a convincing combo of both, but it is not that easy, and why it isnt seen often.

Top Bottom