ZombieNick's 2020-2025 Five Year Azalea Contest Entry

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am new here and new to bonsai in general, but I thought I'd give this a shot. If nothing else, it will be a good learning experience.

I picked up this Azalea back on Jun 13th and chopped it down the next day. I wasn't confident enough to bare root it, so I just reduced the soil mass to fit the training pot. Fingers crossed it pulls through. Any styling advice or just tips in general are much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_172932.jpg
    IMG_20200614_172932.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20200614_182119.jpg
    IMG_20200614_182119.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20200614_180908.jpg
    IMG_20200614_180908.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 112

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looking good, traveler! You made this trek to the Tiny Forest well-equipped indeed! The Woody Dwarves are pleased.

I REALLY enjoy this plants surface roots (good nursery), and believe when wielded correctly, will STUN and amaze.

What’d’ya put on there for “band-aids”?

As I hear your inquiry about “generalized info”.. i’m inclined to direct you FIRST to the Azalea resource, found under resources... it is... the cat’s pajamas, and will really give you a thorough understanding.

I also have been directing these types of inquiries towards MY embarrassing Azalea contest entry.. so you can see a big oversight IN PROGRESS 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️. MORESO, however, for all the advice that was given to me DURING this process. As the ADVICE I was given was “spot on”... it was my execution that was... let’s say lacking. 😂😂😂

For the ease of future conversations, shared knowledge, advice inquiries, love letters.. ect. ect. ect. You could go ahead and update your profile info to reflect a generalized location (It can be vague, mine just says “NorthEastern Wisconsin”) to reflect your climate zone.
This way advice given to you will be pertinent to your climate, and will yield best results.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the contest. That's a good looking start you have there. Be sure to seal the cuts.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! Welcome aboard!

Concur on the sealing as these are large cuts. Usually anything including the size of a a pencil Diameter merits sealing on azaleas. If you have this cut paste,

Personally I'd recommend using the paste below for azaleas. (My preference - so Please, no cut paste fights Nuts! 🤯)
Actually I’ve even used the tree wound dressing show below on azaleas to good effect. (carefully it gets all over stuff). Putty not so good on azaleas, I’ve been told.

The Azalea resource
is a work in progress. It’s good now, but we are working on revising and expanding it over time, so check in for updated versions! 😎

Cheers
DSD sends
image.jpg
image.jpg

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the warm welcome! I did attempt to seal the cuts just after the photos were taken (I used the green tube stuff in Deep Sea Diver's photo). It was my first time doing it and I am not sure if I sealed them well enough. Should I be concerned with the sap around the wounds?

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_193130.jpg
    IMG_20200701_193130.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200701_193251.jpg
    IMG_20200701_193251.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 78

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the warm welcome! I did attempt to seal the cuts just after the photos were taken (I used the green tube stuff in Deep Sea Diver's photo). It was my first time doing it and I am not sure if I sealed them well enough. Should I be concerned with the sap around the wounds?
Hmm... It looks like the cut paste is still setting up. The green stuff looks funny while it’s getting harder. I don’t think it ever really gets totally hard though. Kinda pliable.

JFYI: You should know there is a good deal of controversy about using cut paste on certain trees, esp. pines, but also all trees in general. It’s on the order of “Why pay money for this stuff, trees in nature don’t use it, and in could trap in pathogens. etc”. The other side is pretty much the opposite, “stop the flow of sap, it will weaken the tree“. Read up about it on this site and make up your own mind. (Personally I don’t use it on healthy trees for small cuts. When the cuts get larger on azaleas I use it. However I’m more situational with other species and the type of work I do. Go Figure! Like I said, get the facts and make up your own mind.)

A couple things I recommend you do for site etiquette and effectiveness of advice.
  • As @HorseloverFat mentioned, please go into your profile and Enter your location (approximat) That way others will be able to give advice based on your location, esp. others in your area.
  • Second, please always identify the type of tree and cultivar you a working on. For example, please identify what type of azalea & cultivar if known if are you working on. (I.e. My contest entry is a Satsuki Azalea cultivar called “Kikisui”). Believe it or not different cultivars have different growth characteristics. This knowledge can help you to provide for your trees Horticultural needs as well as when planning your bonsai’s design.

Cheers,
Deep Sea Diver sends

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The seals look good to me. When it's dry the sealant is a little pliable. It reminds me of a liquid rubber that air dries used in pottery for masking. Nuccio's cultivars are very nice. Good job on picking that one!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice trunk. pretty rare to see that on a nursery plant.
I've seen even bigger trunks here on some azaleas at the nurseries, but they were all Encore hybrids and those leaves are just to large in my opinion.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's been a little over a month since the chop and I am happy to report that there are signs of life!

Attachments

• life.jpg
    life.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 83

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hmm, that's a bit slow. But it is budding all over now. Better protect those tender buds from the Cali sun.

Ah, and of course enjoying Belgian beer after chopping up a plant with Belgian heritage.

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have switched mostly tofullsizeoutput_38b.jpeg "Top Jin" cut paste because it seems to promote healing and flows over the cut without any added effort. It is bright orange out of the tube and dries to clear after a few days. It supposedly has a fungicide ingredient and maybe someone will be able to translate the documentation in order to confirm.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Unfortunately it looks like I lost this guy during the heat wave this summer. I was putting it out for sun in the morning, then back into a heavily shaded area to protect from the 100+ degree afternoons. I was little late bringing it in one day and all the new growth burnt to a crisp. I tried my best to nurse it back to health but it looks like it is finished. Am I able to enter another entry?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Happy Friday!

Yep, you sure can! I'd check with @Pitoon for precise details. But be sure to get and post a "Before" photos and the name of the culitvar. The first I know is required, the second will help you on your horticulture.

Since you are down in SoCal, you might give Jim or Tom at Nuccios in Altadena (626) 794 3383 a call and ask their opinion for best cultivars for your area that they stock. They do mail order and I've not lost any of the 36 they sent me yet to Puget Sound... well, hardly ever... there was that one I accidentally over fertilized ;)

Cheers
DSD sends

(Disclaimer: Just for transparency - I do not have any fiduciary arrangements with Nuccios. I just like the way they are able to give helpful and knowledgeable advice long after a purchase and their speedy and careful delivery!)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Happy Friday!

Yep, you sure can! I'd check with @Pitoon for precise details. But be sure to get and post a "Before" photos and the name of the culitvar. The first I know is required, the second will help you on your horticulture.

Since you are down in SoCal, you might give Jim or Tom at Nuccios in Altadena (626) 794 3383 a call and ask their opinion for best cultivars for your area that they stock. They do mail order and I've not lost any of the 36 they sent me yet to Puget Sound... well, hardly ever... there was that one I accidentally over fertilized ;)

Cheers
DSD sends

(Disclaimer: Just for transparency - I do not have any fiduciary arrangements with Nuccios. I just like the way they are able to give helpful and knowledgeable advice long after a purchase and their speedy and careful delivery!)
...is that a Nuccios T-shirt you’re wearing?

🤣🤣

..totally kidding.

I was thinking of posting a picture of Garth Algar, decked out in Reebok.

🤓

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Unfortunately it looks like I lost this guy during the heat wave this summer. I was putting it out for sun in the morning, then back into a heavily shaded area to protect from the 100+ degree afternoons. I was little late bringing it in one day and all the new growth burnt to a crisp. I tried my best to nurse it back to health but it looks like it is finished. Am I able to enter another entry?

Yes @Deep Sea Diver pretty much nailed it. You can enter a new entry, just ensure your post a picture of how it looks when you got it and follow up pics of your work afterwards. Reread the rules, if you are unsure of anything let me know for clarification, thanks.

Pitoon

Top Bottom