Zone 3 or not Zone 3, that is the question

Pete-Regina

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wintergreen Boxwood is the tree in question. There are a few of these available at the big box garden centre, and where 99.9% of the boxwood in question are zone 5 and beyond, the label on the wintergreen boxwood indicated it is hardy to zone 3. So I get excited! But I also get skepticle. The particular boxwood is a really nice tree, but the rational side of me says there is zero reason to buy a nice tree, get it started, only to have the winter kill it.

I've done some research online and find that this boxwood is in fact hardy to zone 5 and beyond (by beyond I mean 6, 7, 8). So my question is: what are the chances that a zone 5 tree will survive a zone 3 winter? (I'm thinking slim to none.) A couple of gardening friends have made interesting points to me about day lillies, that at one point nobody would have thought they would grow here, but they seem do do just fine. Does anyone have experience with this particular genus of boxwood in a zone 3 climate?

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If handled correctly in the winter months you can grow nearly anything in zone 3. Just be careful to offer some protection. I'm in zone 5 and have overwintered Bougainvallia, Ficus, and Fukien with no problems. The Boxwood should be fine if you protect it from extreme cold, frost and wind. Inside an un-heated garage, under a cold frame etc. Below is a short species guide to boxwood.

http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Buxus Indepth.htm

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
According to Dirr, winter green boxwoods are very cold hardy and do well in the Chicago area, which is generally considered zone 5. It may even survive into zone 4. However, I think even a hardy boxwood like 'Wintergreen' is going to need loads of winter protection to make it in zone 3. My 2 cents.

Dave

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
My friend,

Take it from someone who lives in Las Vegas, go take a drive and see what trees and shrubs are native or at least thrive with minimal assistance in your area. Spend your energy and money on those and limit your reaching for what is outside your zone.

You will save yourself much heartache and cash.
;)

Pete-Regina

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saved myself the trouble and bought a tomato instead. I'm fortunate in that the garden centres here that aren't big box only sell trees and shrubs that are tolerant for our particular zone. Oooo...the siberian larch that I'm going to be potting up and pruning this week...

This isn't a hobby as much as an addiction isn't it? ;)

Top Bottom