Zone specific forums

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've found Latitude and Large Bodies of Water to be more pertinent than zones.

Zones may effect soil mix but watering technique could as well.

The only other zone different advice I've found could possibly be "wrong", is the amount of times one can safely prune in a season.
Them Fresbro's, one of whom is actually a chick of God, can prune like 3 times before the Solstice and 3 times after.

I've found we get one pruning per, accept for early springs like this one where we may get 2 before the Solstice, but we never get any extra back end time.

Besides those 2 things and the obvious stuff, like using frozen soil to grind, where it doesn't freeze....

Zone Schmone.

There really is No other advice that can be "zone wrong".

Repotting maybe, but that Jury is out AND smoking crack.

Sorce

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've found Latitude and Large Bodies of Water to be more pertinent than zones.

Zones may effect soil mix but watering technique could as well.

The only other zone different advice I've found could possibly be "wrong", is the amount of times one can safely prune in a season.
Them Fresbro's, one of whom is actually a chick of God, can prune like 3 times before the Solstice and 3 times after.

I've found we get one pruning per, accept for early springs like this one where we may get 2 before the Solstice, but we never get any extra back end time.

Besides those 2 things and the obvious stuff, like using frozen soil to grind, where it doesn't freeze....

Zone Schmone.

There really is No other advice that can be "zone wrong".

Repotting maybe, but that Jury is out AND smoking crack.

Sorce
Living on the shore of lake superior has proven that. We get very different weather as opposed to where I grew up 10 miles west of the lake.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Probably the biggest challenge would be that you might list a specific zone where you live, but your post may be relevant to quite a broad area OUTSIDE of your zone. For example, I live in zone 7B or 8A depending on the year we are having. I grow some trees where zone 7 is the COLDEST you would want to keep them... and other trees where zone 7 is the WARMEST you would want to keep them.

However, if you really feel the need for this functionality, it already exists in these forums. Simply tag threads with the zone that you think it applies to. So if I tag my threads Zone 7, Zone 8, people doing a search for either term in advanced search "search tags" would see those results. And don't forget, you can tag threads that you didn't create.
I love how the zone map splits our area in half 😂

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The BNut forum already has 44 sections or sub-forums, adding more is simply a waste of @Bonsai Nut 's time. On the other hand, the idea of adding tags to posts is excellent.

It seems less than half the members have filled out their own profiles with enough detail to provide a major landmark, city or even country in their profile, much less a growing zone.

I always try to mention my growing conditions when I give advice, and when I read advice given by others I always check where the other person is located, or at least their growing zone. For example, read Colin Lewis writings before he moved to the USA, and read his horticulture recommendations after he moved to Massachusetts. His definition of "hardy" shifted a bit a year or two after his move from mild old England to frigid New England.

Top Bottom