Zuisho JWP Foliage (grafted/ungrafted)

YodaJordan

Seed
Reaction score
I have purchased some grafted Zuisho JWP as nursery stock, now I’m just going to increase size and ramification. Although there is 2 questions that stand out in my mind unanswered:

1) What is the difference in terms of foliage on a JWP Zuisho with grafted as opposed to ungrafted? (I’m guessing it would have deeper foliage if grafted to JBP rootstock)

2) When the day comes to take cuttings from this grafted Zuisho will the cuttings grow foliage with a colour of original ungrafted Zuisho or perhaps continue the same colour foliage as that of my grafted version?

I hope this makes sense - collecting & growing seeds from the Zuisho isn’t an option and cannot be grown and sold as a Zuisho as the seeds are not identical to the parent plant therefore it would have different characteristics to Zuisho.

Any pictures of your Zuisho’s (grafted or ungrafted) to see the difference in foliage would be extremely helpful 😄 Thanks

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If there is a difference in colour or size of foliage in grafted trees it is just the result of stronger roots and should not transfer to cuttings grown from the zushio section. Any cuttings will be genuine zushio and will behave as such.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
JWP grafted to JBP root stock seem to have thicker, coarser needles than JWP on their own roots. I don’t know how obvious this is to a casual observer, or how consistent this trait is across cultivars. I have a Zuisho grafted to JBP and the needles are bluer and coarser on the stronger shoots, and finer and greener on the weaker shoots. I have yet to do any real work on the tree, and have been growing it from a 2-year old graft since 2006. Tried dozens of cuttings and have never had any luck. The thread is here:

Top Bottom