Zuisho JWP progression thread

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M what are your plans for those lower left branches. It seems pretty busy and the first and second left branch seem to be competing with each other.
The picture flattens everything out, it’s more 3D than the picture looks, so there’s room for all. Some branches are too long, however. It will take a little while for the back buds and interior branches to get strong enough so I can cut back to them.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The picture flattens everything out, it’s more 3D than the picture looks, so there’s room for all. Some branches are too long, however. It will take a little while for the back buds and interior branches to get strong enough so I can cut back to them.
This stage takes a lot of patience! One can visualize how beautiful the compact version will be, but the proper interior foliage is needed to carry it off! Then i would like to see what Boon or Daisaku would do with those extra branches and extra length. Tree is excellent now but that would take it to another level.
Nice tree to have in the line up.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This stage takes a lot of patience! One can visualize how beautiful the compact version will be, but the proper interior foliage is needed to carry it off! Then i would like to see what Boon or Daisaku would do with those extra branches and extra length. Tree is excellent now but that would take it to another level.
Nice tree to have in the line up.
And it’s still young. There’s flaky bark nearly to the apex of the main tree, and it’s starting to get flaky on the bottom of the second trunk. The third trunk is all juvenile still.

It will get fertilized today, to build strength for next spring.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And it’s still young. There’s flaky bark nearly to the apex of the main tree, and it’s starting to get flaky on the bottom of the second trunk. The third trunk is all juvenile still.

It will get fertilized today, to build strength for next spring.
I was working with a young Japanese Master last week Takahiro Mori and he was explaining how the style should change as the tree ages. The condition of the trunk bark influences the design and exposure of the trunks. initial styling often retains more branches and covers more of the juvenile areas. The tree was a different species but the concept holds true i believe.

Top Bottom