Zuisho JWP - with Guy Wires!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This post is for @coh. I actually used some guy wires! (For those wondering what this is all about, I guess it was about a year ago Coh posted a tree styled using a lot guy wires, and no traditional wiring. I had enough vintage Bordeaux red wine in me to go on a rant about wiring... Anyway, Coh likes to tease me about using guy wires.)

This is a Zuisho JWP I bought from Julian Adams last December at the Silhouette Show in Kannapolis, NC. If you have the opportunity to go this year, you should. We don't have many "Winter" shows, and I think that's when many bonsai look their best.

I have not really spent a lot of time with this tree. It did get repotted out of the turface that Julian uses into ClayKing with added pumice in March. It was half bare rooted, and I did substantial work to improve the root system. One branch was pruned. And it was lightly cut back in anticipation of Spring growth.

I used the tree as a wiring demo tree at the Atlanta Bonsai Society Show a couple weeks later. Since it was freshly potted, I didn't do any heavy bending. Mainly I was demonstrating how to spiral wire on. I only was able to get the three bottom branches "mostly wired".

So, this morning, I spent some time figuring out what it needed.

This tree was created by Julian as an air layer. It was a branch on another tree. That was 20 years ago when he layered it.

image.jpeg

Ok, so you how you style a branch on a pine tree? You alternate branches left, right, left, right... And no branches going straight down? Well, that's what this tree was. (Is.). There are strong branches on either side of the trunk (former branch main line), some on the back (former top of the main line branch), and none in the front of the tree until we get up close to the apex since the front of the tree was the bottom of the branch when it was still a branch.

Thus, it presents a rather "flat" view. I spun it around lots of time trying to determine if the was a better front, and really couldn't find one. But the two lowest branches are growing straight out sideways. And, well, it would be better if they came forward a bit. They're pretty thick (too thick, really, but without grafting on new ones and completely starting over, we're stuck with them) and it would take really heavy wire to move them, and even then, I'm not sure.

So, guy wire!

I ran a piece of 10 gauge copper under the bottom of the front of the pot, coming up thru the corner drain holes in front. Using my Jin pliers, I made a loop in the wire right at the soil level or just below. On both sides.

Then, I experimented wire various wire locations to see where I would be able to get the effect I was after: I wanted the branches to come down a little, but mainly I wanted them to come forward. I found that using the loop that was under the branch mainly just pulled it down. But if instead I used the loop on the far side of the pot, I was able to pull the branch toward the front a lot, and only a little bit down.

There explains the crisscross.

image.jpeg

I used stainless steel guy wires. Stainless steel is stronger than copper. As it turns out, copper would have worked just as well. There not a lot of pressure. In this case, copper would have been easier to use. Steel is rather stiff and harder to grip and twist with the pliers. I haven't worked that much with steel, so it was a learning experience!

It's getting close to time to wire JWP. When the old needles turn yellow to brown and fall off easily, JWP is ready to wire. Late August to September is usually good for us here in North Georgia. And that's the time to start fertilizing JWP. To build strength for next spring

Coh, I'm looking forward to meeting you in a little over a month!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
those are some nasty wire scare on that bad boy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
those are some nasty wire scare on that bad boy
They were in it when I bought it.

But they're on the "juvenile" bark. Which will fall off.

And I've seen a lot worse. I did take care not to put wire directly on top of the old scars.

Future plans include grafting on a few secondary branches on those lower limbs, so they won't be as obvious.

Wire scars happen.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They were in it when I bought it.

But they're on the "juvenile" bark. Which will fall off.

And I've seen a lot worse. I did take care not to put wire directly on top of the old scars.

Future plans include grafting on a few secondary branches on those lower limbs, so they won't be as obvious.

Wire scars happen.

I know you didn't do them, but it draws my eye. It's a great tree though - I wouldn't mind it on my bench!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This post is for @coh. I actually used some guy wires! (For those wondering what this is all about, I guess it was about a year ago Coh posted a tree styled using a lot guy wires, and no traditional wiring. I had enough vintage Bordeaux red wine in me to go on a rant about wiring... Anyway, Coh likes to tease me about using guy wires.)
Welcome to the dark side!

Coh, I'm looking forward to meeting you in a little over a month!
Same here! Can't believe how fast the summer is going. The good thing...show is coming up soon. The bad thing...winter is coming up.

Chris

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
@Don Blackmond Please explain

a) The point above
b) Why aren't you called 'Gregory Beach' - do you have something to hide ? :)

PS you have some smashing trees - shame I'm over the pond !!

A. Nasty? Far from it. The wire marks are insignificant. Plus, wire marks are temporary, and presumably the tree is not.
B. I live at Gregory Beach. Its a location. I'm hiding behind my legal name.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A. Nasty? Far from it. The wire marks are insignificant. Plus, wire marks are temporary, and presumably the tree is not.
B. I live at Gregory Beach. Its a location. I'm hiding behind my legal name.
The wire scars are healed flat. When the juvenile bark flakes off, you won't be able to tell.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, so I’ve neglected this tree for a couple years while I let the guy wires do their thing. Oh, I wired a bit of it here, and a bit of it there, but I’ve never done a “heads to toe” styling.

It’s time. A couple of weeks ago, I “cleaned it”. Which means I went and removed all the old needles, and did some obvious light pruning on overgrown shoots. Today, I started to wire it out and do some more cutting back.

Here’s the before:

E160206A-9373-4B9D-BA83-4A768AEA7380.jpeg

The guy wires’ job was not so much to pull the branches down, as it was to pull them forward. This tree was started by zjylian Adams. It was a branch of another tree which he air layered. What we are looking at as the front was the underside of a branch. And the first branches, left and right, were sub-branches. And when I bought it, they stuck out to the sides, straight out, I’ve been working on pulling them in towards the front, with guy wires, to make them into proper Number 1 and Number 2 branches.

Now, it’s time to build some pads.

Like I said, I’ve neglected it somewhat, so there are some leggy shoots that will get cut back as we go.

Will we make a decent tree out of this? Don’t know that it going to be a show stopper, but I think I can take it from “project” to “in refinement”. Lol!!!

Here’s the “Before” shot:

E160206A-9373-4B9D-BA83-4A768AEA7380.jpeg

And here’s after wiring the bottom left branch out:

67BE9DD4-983E-4653-8407-677C9E6E6A44.jpeg

That’s as far as I got today.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Finished the lowest right branch. Rather complicated branch, had to pull down the rear sub-branch using a guy wire.

It was worth the trouble, I’m thinking this branch may eventually become the lowest branch on the tree. The left branch seems too low. But I want the trunk to thicken more before I prune it off.

D6834E4F-5449-4EA1-9CA8-6E20CBAE6590.jpeg

I still need to “tweak” it. I have all the wire on, except maybe a couple twigs. But, I need some lunch!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It was worth the trouble, I’m thinking this branch may eventually become the lowest branch on the tree. The left branch seems too low. But I want the trunk to thicken more before I prune it off.

I tend to agree. That branch is too low. It will appear older and more rugged if removed. If you want to retain the lower branch to thicken the trunk maybe don’t do any pruning on it and treat it as a sacrifice to do so.
Regardless it’s an awesome tree along with the double trunk JWP you posted. I wish we could keep them in the Bay Area.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Finished the lowest right branch. Rather complicated branch, had to pull down the rear sub-branch using a guy wire.
Can you post a picture from the bottom (and/or the top) so we can see what's complicated about it?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really curious...has this been grafted?
Here a lot of trees are on black pine rootstock and non grafted trees cost a fortune ( but in my humble opinion well worth it)
That 'neglect' is what more people should do. Trees need recovery time ( that was for newbs reading this not you😊)
I really look forward to seeing this developing

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really curious...has this been grafted?
Here a lot of trees are on black pine rootstock and non grafted trees cost a fortune ( but in my humble opinion well worth it)
That 'neglect' is what more people should do. Trees need recovery time ( that was for newbs reading this not you😊)
I really look forward to seeing this developing
This was an airlayer, taken about 20 years ago by Julian Adams.

Interesting history about Zuisho in the USA. Bill Valavanis imported several about 30 (maybe 40?) years ago. And sold all but one, because it was sickly. I think all the ones he sold died! Except the sickly one. He didn’t want to sell it because Bill thought it wouldn’t live. But Julian persisted, and finally convinced Bill to sell it to him.

Well, wouldn’t ya know, Julian nursed it back to health! He gave a dose of “Micro-Max” nutrients every spring. The tree grew healthy. Julian used it to take airlayer a, and cuttings, and propagated dozens of new Zuisho from that one tree from Bill. He is pretty much the only source for Zuisho in the USA, unless you can find an import, which are rare and expensive. (Not that Julian’s are cheap, lol!!!)

Mine has a rather one sided nebari. I did a half bare root repot in it a couple years ago to see if I could get the weak side stronger. I’ll see how it’s doing next spring.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This was an airlayer, taken about 20 years ago by Julian Adams.

Interesting history about Zuisho in the USA. Bill Valavanis imported several about 30 (maybe 40?) years ago. And sold all but one, because it was sickly. I think all the ones he sold died! Except the sickly one. He didn’t want to sell it because Bill thought it wouldn’t live. But Julian persisted, and finally convinced Bill to sell it to him.

Well, wouldn’t ya know, Julian nursed it back to health! He gave a dose of “Micro-Max” nutrients every spring. The tree grew healthy. Julian used it to take airlayer a, and cuttings, and propagated dozens of new Zuisho from that one tree from Bill. He is pretty much the only source for Zuisho in the USA, unless you can find an import, which are rare and expensive. (Not that Julian’s are cheap, lol!!!)

Mine has a rather one sided nebari. I did a half bare root repot in it a couple years ago to see if I could get the weak side stronger. I’ll see how it’s doing next spring.
That's just awesome. Growing a tree on its own roots is just better in the long run in my opinion....but I'm a purist.

I don't know man, that's probably the best ungrafted wp I have seen from a North American. And wp are a really touchy tree. Even in Asia people steer clear of them.

I love what you are doing so far. Keep updating! I need to follow this thread

Top Bottom