zuisho pine book in english

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Stone Lantern publishing did on on pines. Much of it was on the white pine. And differences in pine care between species are relatively minor.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I don't think i've heard of a pine book only about Zuisho White Pine. You want to just focus on learning how to care for and work with White Pine. I believe the reason the variety Zuisho is so popular because it can be grown from cutting and air layer easier than most pines. I know I saw a great Japanese article on them in an older Bonsai Today about a guy that grows them from cutting, wires movement into the trunk and produces some very impressive results in 10-20 years.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The Pine book by Stone Lantern will have some information, but I don't know just how much I have not read it. It is however; my understanding that this book is a compilation of all the material in Bonsai Today. There is another publication: Bonsai International published by Bill Valvanis' organization. This publication has had a good deal of information on the cultivar. Most of his back issues are available from him in a photo-copy format.

As to the Zuisho being pretty much like other Pines? This is really not true according to what I have read. There are a number of vast differences, even from other JWPs, that make this tree unique. Two particular differences, fact; it takes ten years for a Zuishio to reach the stage of maturity where it starts to demonstrate the traits that make it desirable for bonsai. Two; is that fact that it can be grown quite successfully from cuttings. You will, if you are really interested, have to research the archives of both Bonsai Today and Bonsai International.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks alot everyone for the info. Thats what ive learned also Vance. It seems to be a very nice tree, if you have the time to wait for a cutting to get old enough to start looking like something. I am mainly looking for the steps to use along the way, and after they reach maturity. I also was taught that they grow almost as fast in pots, as they do in ground, so im interested to see. I know there are books in japanese, but havent seen any in english. Thanks again for the help.

What is everyone's favorite bonsai magazine subscription?

Top Bottom