Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Update shot. Shortened a couple unruly shoots, and will need to unwire and rewired it in the fall. Not bad for a first round.
View attachment 444380
Brian... just read the whole thread... amazing progress, patience... and tree of course. Thanks for sharing and updating.
Question... as I can't see on the photo... first level of branches at the bottom... there is still 3 there? Doesn't seem to swell too much/at all.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Question... as I can't see on the photo... first level of branches at the bottom... there is still 3 there? Doesn't seem to swell too much/at all.
Yes, for now the right branch will become that long extending branch, the left side will be a “second trunk”, and the back branch is still on for now, but will likely be removed over time. Since that whorl is right above the graft, swelling hasn't been an issue.

D

Deleted member 32750

Incredible progression and very inspiring! I look forward to seeing what the tree looks like by 2029

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, amazing thread! Just went back and read the whole enchilada. Thanks for documenting this, Brian!

I don’t have any Zuisho, but I do have a finger-thick Bristlecone pine that I’m growing out in a similar manner. This thread is SUPER helpful and has given me some ideas and inspiration :)

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Still not convinced that stick you started with wasn't changed out somewhere along the line for a finished tree. But, I'll take your word for it. lol.
Awesome work and inspiration for what can be done. Thanks for sharing.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just keeps getting better..

Top Bottom