Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Check through some of the old Bonsai Today and International Bonsai for articles. In one of those publications the cultivation of this cultivar from cuttings is detailed, I think it was in Bonsai International, Bill Valvanis' publication.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome ,Brian!
Holy wow...
2009?
What a thread......this has grown for sure.Nice it is on black pine roots.
My thoughts exactly. Truly an exceptional example of patience and horticultural expertise in this art. Can’t wait to see what your next steps are Brian. C01104E7-A3F2-4B0F-8879-5FC6EAFAF466.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Check through some of the old Bonsai Today and International Bonsai for articles. In one of those publications the cultivation of this cultivar from cuttings is detailed, I think it was in Bonsai International, Bill Valvanis' publication.
They “can” be grown from cuttings, but the success rate is very low, about 5%. Julian Adams has been growing them for years, and he’s very successful using air layers. But only 5% of his cuttings make it.

Night shot. I may start some branch selection this fall.
View attachment 323582
Brian, have you thought about air layering the branches you’re going to remove?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
They “can” be grown from cuttings, but the success rate is very low, about 5%. Julian Adams has been growing them for years, and he’s very successful using air layers. But only 5% of his cuttings make it.

Brian, have you thought about air layering the branches you’re going to remove?
Point is: It is better to do something with what you cut off than to simply throw the remains in the compost pile/can even at 5% success.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Point is: It is better to do something with what you cut off than to simply throw the remains in the compost pile/can even at 5% success.
It’s also good to set realistic expectations. It’s easy to say, “take cuttings. Zuisho grow from cuttings”. Then, when none of them grow, the guy feels like a failure. Maybe he takes 20 cuttings. Maybe one will take. Maybe. Julian is very experienced, and the BEST he can do with an elaborate cuttings set up is 5%.

Layers, on the other hand, have a much better success rate.

I think it would be better for someone to try taking layers than cuttings.

I hope you’re doing well, Vance!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hadn’t seriously considered a layer, but a couple of those bottom branches could be good candidates to try, after grafting something into the space between the lowest and second whorl.

Cuttings? No. Tried several times with dozens each time, to no avail.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hadn’t seriously considered a layer, but a couple of those bottom branches could be good candidates to try, after grafting something into the space between the lowest and second whorl.

Cuttings? No. Tried several times with dozens each time, to no avail.
I would layer the one on the right, all other things being equal. It’s kinda heavy. Zuisho have a bad habit of developing really heavy branches, relative to the size of the trunk. So, working with thinner branches makes the trunk look thicker.

Any sign of the JWP smooth bark splitting yet?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Spring update. I almost sent this to Bjorn’s for initial styling, but opted to hold off for another year. The trunk is actually starting to fatten up noticeably, so I’m glad I held off. What’s another year, right?😜
9D3E4B48-DC8E-4EED-93BA-125FF0226458.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Took this to Bjorn’s in November and we decided to do some branch selection and set some branches before they get too thick to use. Over time, we will continue to reduce the cut at the top, and build out the pads. First real pruning and wiring since I got the tree in 2006.

The plan is to allow the right branch to extend (I like that old school long first branch Zuisho look), and to allow the first left branch to become a second trunk. As the base swells, the branch will naturally look like a second trunk. The third branch going toward the back is still there for the moment, and may be an air-layer candidate later.

At some point I’ll write a more detailed post about it. For now, a decent shot in the sun after some snow.
B444D6D6-ABCF-4AB4-A760-B97396D05C0F.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Took this to Bjorn’s in November and we decided to do some branch selection and set some branches before they get too thick to use. Over time, we will continue to reduce the cut at the top, and build out the pads. First real pruning and wiring since I got the tree in 2006.

The plan is to allow the right branch to extend (I like that old school long first branch Zuisho look), and to allow the first left branch to become a second trunk. As the base swells, the branch will naturally look like a second trunk. The third branch going toward the back is still there for the moment, and may be an air-layer candidate later.

At some point I’ll write a more detailed post about it. For now, a decent shot in the sun after some snow.
View attachment 414602
Looking good! You got more snow than I did.

There was a famous old Zuisho that had the iconic “strong arm” first branch. And it grew to be stronger than the main trunk. And taller! Several attempts were made to “pull it down”, and each time the tree responded by having the strong arm grow even stronger! Until, suddenly, for no apparent reason, the strong arm died!

Zuisho are weird!

Have fun with it! And Happy New Year!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What a testament to patience. Looks great Brian. I’m a fan of the long arm first branch and am shooting for one with a young JBP. There is one somewhere with a super exaggerated long arm and I love it. (Can’t recall where but thought I read that long arm trees were frequently placed at the entrances of homes as a sign of welcome).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Looking good! You got more snow than I did.

There was a famous old Zuisho that had the iconic “strong arm” first branch. And it grew to be stronger than the main trunk. And taller! Several attempts were made to “pull it down”, and each time the tree responded by having the strong arm grow even stronger! Until, suddenly, for no apparent reason, the strong arm died!

Zuisho are weird!

Have fun with it! And Happy New Year!
That style was called Tatami-eda or something similar I think, it was very popular a long time ago but now very few trees exist in that style

Top Bottom