Zumi Crabapple

katsudonkey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'll look into the seeds, can always use more trees lol! Thank you!

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
The seeds do sprouting VERY easily, but be aware that crabs can take a number of years to flower and fruit from seed so don’t expect fruiting seedlings immediately. Although I have read on Jonas’ blog that his zumi seedlings flowered within 2 years

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
They may not come true to type from seed as they will likely have been cross pollinated with pollen from other Malus in the area, so you could end up with a range of hybrids from one batch of seed!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know the answer to your question, but I just want to say I am very jealous. Been eyeing landscape crabapples recently and loving the beauty of the fruits on bare branches. I would love to have a bonsai crab that fruited like this.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mine never have fruit left after the first freeze since the birds come in and devour them. Remove them whenever you like

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fruit is mostly removed to avoid overly weakening the tree for the most part. Some trees, like Crabapples flower so profusely that the resulting fruit load can draw extreme resources from the plant. In some cases that can actually lead to decline and death over time. Thinning the fruit can help keep the tree strong.
That thinning is done in the spring, as the fruit just begins to grow. Thinning blossoms can achieve the same thing.

Additionally, thinning is done to balance out the visual load. Too many blooms and fruit in one part of the tree, not enough in another, etc. That thinning is done in the spring as well.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
sounds like you should just enjoy the fruits this winter then. Maybe keep an eye out in spring and make sure the tree isn't to heavily "appled"

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The seeds do sprouting VERY easily, but be aware that crabs can take a number of years to flower and fruit from seed so don’t expect fruiting seedlings immediately. Although I have read on Jonas’ blog that his zumi seedlings flowered within 2 years
Only have experience with sargentii crabs but they flowered for me after 4 years from seed. I don't think you have to wait very long for apples usually. At least not Zumi or sargent's

Top Bottom