A drunken confession (or is it?)

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It's the dead of a nasty winter, around 10 below zero, and I am sitting here gleaning any kind of entertainment from a bonsai forum. What else to do? I have a couple of indoor elms and a boxwood that lives in a north window and seems very happy. These are the things I have.

I go out to fill the wood boiler and two or three ponderosa needles poke out of a snowdrift. The trees sit inside their frosty piles of snow, patiently waiting, sap slow and dormant.

I read the news at the end of the day, sunset through the window creating an orange red gold silhouette of my favorite elm. It seems to be waiting to grow, like the feeling when you blow all air from your lungs and pause... that tension of energy just about to burst.

I love little trees.

Now, try to fit that into Haiku form!

I'd like to get drunk and talk little trees but I can't right now. My wife has been stuck in Atlanta traffic since one pm due to the freakin' snow...all 2 inches of it. Of course, it's ice now...and...of course...we'll be sipping on bourbon shortly (I hope:))...pretty sure I won't be able to get to work in the am and the wife has already made the call that she won't be going in tomorrow:)...

I love little trees.

It's the dead of a nasty winter, around 10 below zero, and I am sitting here gleaning any kind of entertainment from a bonsai forum. What else to do? I have a couple of indoor elms and a boxwood that lives in a north window and seems very happy. These are the things I have.

I go out to fill the wood boiler and two or three ponderosa needles poke out of a snowdrift. The trees sit inside their frosty piles of snow, patiently waiting, sap slow and dormant.

I read the news at the end of the day, sunset through the window creating an orange red gold silhouette of my favorite elm. It seems to be waiting to grow, like the feeling when you blow all air from your lungs and pause... that tension of energy just about to burst.

I love little trees.

Very poetic, thanks I enjoyed this.

ed

I spoke to my brother earlier, he was drinking.
30 below windchill in south bend IN.
I then repotted 3 small maples into my new 99 cent collanders...sober.
I'm drinking now.
I, too, love little trees

BTW I love my wife and family !

I am enamored of little trees. :rolleyes:

ed

Oh, how I love my whiskey.
Is it because I'm a Southern gent?
I prune and snip
While I puff and sip
and now I'm hammered without intent.

I love little trees.

Ahh, very nice.
The brutal confining winters here induces poetic gurbles for me too. I however have a work-around, and slip through the drifts to my bonsai storage facility and pull trees to wire and work. If I could not do this I might die--If I could not do this I would be overwhelmed, come our abrupt springs.

I love little trees.

Here's Johnny!.....not by the hair of my chinny chin chin

Attachments

• imagesCAHC9CBM.jpg
    imagesCAHC9CBM.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 12
Sipping bourbon now...the wife is home after a harrowing 10 hour drive for her...wish I could be more poetic or lyrical with my musings right now but I'm just glad to have her safe in the living room with me. Snow and the South are an evil combo.

Sipping bourbon now...the wife is home after a harrowing 10 hour drive for her...wish I could be more poetic or lyrical with my musings right now but I'm just glad to have her safe in the living room with me. Snow and the South are an evil combo.

I'll have a snort of home-infused fig Michter's small batch in your honor. This is an article from There Will Be Bourbon about my earlier version with Woodford Reserve. Awesome winter sippin'.

http://therewillbebourbon.net/post/40025936139/fig-infused-bourbon. Stay warm and safe.

My wife has been stuck in Atlanta traffic since one pm due to the freakin' snow...all 2 inches of it. Of course, it's ice now...and...of course...we'll be sipping on bourbon shortly (I hope:))...

Honestly, and really no offense meant to the south, (I'd like to move somewhere warmer sooner rather than later) I always chuckle when I hear about the horror stories of southern states getting two inches of snow haha. You can't blame me though, having grown up in literally the snowiest city in the USA, Syracuse, NY. This site says average of 115 inches a year, weather channel say an average of 123 inches per year over the last 30 years; http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

Nothing like walking to class with snow up to your knees! But I must concur, whiskey is my drink of choice while working on trees. Pure zen.

Honestly, and really no offense meant to the south, (I'd like to move somewhere warmer sooner rather than later) I always chuckle when I hear about the horror stories of southern states getting two inches of snow haha.

Take 2 inches of snow, temperatures in the low 20s and teens... mix in the fact that there are NO plows and inadequate numbers of sanders...then send about a million people out on the roads at about the same time. That's what happened in Atlanta yesterday. There are people that are still stuck on the highways right now and it's 8 F in my yard and 13 F in downtown Atlanta. It's no good. I used to chuckle too but I don't anymore because it's not funny...it's sad, really.

Edit: I will readily admit that not nearly enough drivers down here know what low gear is and why it's there. I had to walk to get my kids from school yesterday and ended up helping two women who were unable to move their vehicles (a mustang and a Jeep) up two relative small hills. Both were just spinning their tires in Drive...and neither knew they could down shift their automatic transmissions....arggghh! My wife learned to drive in upstate New York just east of Rochester and lived over 8 years in Ithaca...she drives a Camry 6 speed automatic and kept it in first gear almost the whole way home yesterday. She passed HUNDREDS of stranded cars just because she was in low gear and they weren't.

Last edited:
Growing up in the Buffalo NY area we also learned how to drive properly in the nasty weather. I do understand how people that never lived in such places would not know how to handle it but I do not understand why they go out at all during freak storms...

Grimmy

Growing up in the Buffalo NY area we also learned how to drive properly in the nasty weather. I do understand how people that never lived in such places would not know how to handle it but I do not understand why they go out at all during freak storms...

Grimmy

It was unavoidable.
Several counties south of Atlanta were way ahead of the curve and cancelled school on Monday...most in the metro area didn't, because the forecast was for 1/2 to 1" in Metro Atlanta with more south. The storm ended up dumping an extra inch or two more then was initially expected. I live in Cobb County which has a population of over 700,000 people and over 100,000 public school students...there are 21 other counties in metro Atlanta....over 6 million people. I got notified just after noon that the schools were being dismissed two hours early. Every parent of a school age child in greater Atlanta who had a kid at school got the same notification at the same time and they all got into their cars at the same time to drive home to get their kids at the bus stop. From the ineptness of the city and state in the realm of snow removal to the timing of school early dismissal, this was a complete and total clusterf*** from beginning to end.

greetings from sunny California!
Yesterday I made two site visits, and wore a t-shirt. I could have had shorts and tevas on as well.

Here's a photo of folks watching the sandhill cranes fly into Staten Island (CA) at dusk.

If only this photo could capture the sound that the cranes make as they fly in.... I you ever get a chance to see the cranes fly in at dusk, do so!

Attachments

• P1282027.jpg
    P1282027.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Woke up to a powdery, fresh 4 inches of snow. The kids are excited for another snow day yet the office is still open.

You know, there is something to be said about repotting earlier, and enjoying open toes in January; at the same time, here in VA we get all 4 seasons. Almost equally. And I'm not ready to trade that for now. Maybe when these bones get older it'll make more sense.

Bonsai asleep in the snow...

slumbering until the melting runoff of spring.

I dream by the fire

Stareing out the frosty window

my very being cries out for spring

bonsai sleep under the snow

I drink my tea alone

pineing for my trees to awaken soon

Bonsai nut my winter's companion

Take 2 inches of snow, temperatures in the low 20s and teens... mix in the fact that there are NO plows and inadequate numbers of sanders...then send about a million people out on the roads at about the same time. That's what happened in Atlanta yesterday. There are people that are still stuck on the highways right now and it's 8 F in my yard and 13 F in downtown Atlanta. It's no good. I used to chuckle too but I don't anymore because it's not funny...it's sad, really.

Edit: I will readily admit that not nearly enough drivers down here know what low gear is and why it's there. I had to walk to get my kids from school yesterday and ended up helping two women who were unable to move their vehicles (a mustang and a Jeep) up to relative small hills. Both were just spinning their tires in Drive...and neither knew they could down shift their automatic transmissions....arggghh! My wife learned to drive in upstate New York just east of Rochester and lived over 8 years in Ithaca...she drives a Camry 6 speed automatic and kept it in first gear almost the whole way home yesterday. She passed HUNDREDS of stranded cars just because she was in low gear and they weren't.

Yes it is sad...all those effected down south...I use my low gears in my jeep even with 4x4
. My husband laughs...and my dad who is a retired trucker 75yrs. Old...said I used my jeep wrong. By using low gear to hold me back on a hill to not need to use my breaks as often. Up a hill...never used it going up. I'll remember that! Thanks...though...never really used my low gear in 4x4...that may help up hill...but I've never had an issue with going up hill in my jeep.

Back
Top Bottom