Acclimating JBP to colder environment (first winter)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got my three new seedling cutting shipped from @cmeg1 today, and wanted to get some additional opinions on how to winter them in climate 7B, knowing the they are coming from the virtual tropics and are still some what small. I’d like to avoid the fridge or freezer box if possible, but I wouldn’t rule it out. My one other JBP does pretty well sitting on the ground through the winter. I could shuffle them into the shed to avoid freezes for the next month or so.

Attachments

• 41358357-CFFC-4CDD-B4AD-5CEF31568EB9.jpeg
    41358357-CFFC-4CDD-B4AD-5CEF31568EB9.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 19
new seedling cutting shipped from @cmeg1

Lol! You think those plants will die?😉

Doubt it! You'd have to try!

I would just be sure to keep them watered well, if the soil and pots are new to you. It seems they could dry out fast with some folks' idea of watering.

Sorce

Make that 6b according to my zip. We do occasionally get a -10f night here or there, but I could shuffle to the shed that thick in the winter?

Yeah the trick will be to pay attention to the forecast and do the shuffle BEFORE the cold hits. Those plants did fine in a box during shipping so its a pretty safe bet they’d be fine for a few days at a time in the dark. I’m going into my first winter at a new house with window wells and was thinking of just putting all my plants on a shelf in the windows with a clear plastic cover over them. I’ll be able to go down and water from inside my basement! And also I can have a small electric heater on a thermostat but I think the heat from the house will negate the need for it.

Like the others said I think your JBPs will be fine. I live in Michigan and my JBP has been doing OK in our crazy winters for decades. I do kinda dig my pot in and put it in a protected (from winds) area and then mulch up to the trunk.

Back
Top Bottom