Arakawa Japanese Maple

can't wait to see how it will look like in a few years!

I have a small arakawa planning to layer it off next spring. Great to know they layer well

My experience air-layering this cultivar has been the same as the standard green maple variety.

Good luck with it :)

Spring 2014 update

The repotting season has started for me. This Arakawa being one of the first to be repotted this year. It was also styled and did a couple of grafts on it. One root and the other an approach graft.

This is the tree as it appeared coming out of its winter slumber.

The maple after being repotted and styled. The styling session preceded the repotting by about a week. As I worked with it I shifted its front about a quarter turn counterclockwise. The shift created a more dynamic angle overall for me bringing the largest and tallest trunk forward as the second one receded into space only to turn towards us half way up which may be difficult to see in the photo. I also made, from one of last year's whips, an approach graft up top where the loop is. The apex of the tallest trunk still needs more branching and in need of one or two thread grafts. I took this opportunity to make a root graft as well using one of last years air layers. It can be seen on the right side of the nebari. It is important to note that in the case of Arakawa, one should always use Arakawa saplings since the surface roots do eventually get the cork bark texture they're so known for. This is not so if a standard Japanese maple is used.

Detail of the approach graft wired into place and fastened with pushpins.

Detail of the root graft. I used plenty of cut paste to make sure the graft union is kept from drying out. The grafted sapling is held by two pushpins nailed securely into place.

Looking great! You're always moving your trees forward. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Really nice work on those branches...fantastic feel & movement!

that is one good looking tree!
How old is it?

Not sure. Really impossible to tell unless you get a cross section of the lower trunk. The trunk is almost 5" across right before it flares down to the roots. I would take a conservative guess of 25 years?? The great thing about these Arakawa maples is that they tend to look ancient thanks to their rugged bark.

What a fine tree Mach! The bark and structure are just excellent.

The new planting angle really does it for me. Funny how the slightest detail can make it better.

The new planting angle really does it for me. Funny how the slightest detail can make it better.

Yes Judy oftentimes a slight change in planting angle or turn can make a big difference. One of the easiest tricks in the bonsai book :)

Nice mach, I am in negotiation for a arikawa my self for next season that has been in the ground for the last 8 it looks like a cork bark elm the bark is so fissured. Have you had better success with aproach grafting vs thread grafting on this species?

Seth I can't really say since I have not done any thread grafts on this maple variety yet. I can't imagine it being any more difficult than a standard Japanese maple.

Air layering and overall performance of the tree I have observed to be very similar to a regular Japanese maple. The one thing to note is that they do not back bud on old wood as readily due to the highly textured bark. On younger semi textured parts of the tree, it back buds with no problems.

Your tree sounds very nice. Good luck with it! :)

Seth I can't really say since I have not done any thread grafts on this maple variety yet. I can't imagine it being any more difficult than a standard Japanese maple.

Air layering and overall performance of the tree I have observed to be very similar to a regular Japanese maple. The one thing to note is that they do not back bud on old wood as readily due to the highly textured bark. On younger semi textured parts of the tree, it back buds with no problems.

Your tree sounds very nice. Good luck with it! :)

Thanks for the back bud info. The one I am looking at will need a severe hair cut and that was the reason for thread grafting It looks like once the bark gets fully covered and corked it would no longer back bud.

Haven't posted anything on this tree for a while. All remaining wires from last year were removed. It was only lightly wired in a few places and I will keep working on its ramification this year. Next spring it will most likely get another wiring job from top to bottom. Unfortunately I was working on an approach graft last year and while moving the tree I snapped it right off. I redid the approach graft thus the funny looking loops at the top of the tree.

In addition, last year I made a root graft by way of an approach graft. After growing well all last year, I started to flirt with the idea of leaving it as a small, little trunk. I am fond of these types of basal outgrowths in deciduous trees. They are quite common in nature and thus has encouraged me. I am not sure yet but for now I wired it giving some movement and if I decide later on to keep it, it will of course be cut much shorter. What do you guys think?

Close up of the redone approach graft up top to create a branch where it was needed. It is held in place with a push pin and covered with cut paste.

Spring is a great time for Japanese maples. But the orange tinged spring leaves of arakawa make it a standout! Here the buds are swelling rapidly.

In my opinion, wire marks are not much of a problem when working with arakawa maples. I often leave them to bite into the bark as later on these scars add to the character of the tree. The first photo shows recent wire scarring. Second photo is of old wire marks that are staring to blend with the rough texture of the bark giving it added character.

so lovely ........

thanks for the documentation highly intresting

I'm not a huge fan of the 3rd trunk in 2d.

Seems it will be tough to fit into the design, in 2d.

I'd like to see it in a couple years though! Maybe a side view.

Awesome tree.

Sorce

Thank you for sharing did you use any rooting hormone for the airlayer or just the moss?

Jun

I think that this one has to go too far out to the side, (3rd trunk) and when it's larger will give an unbalanced feeling. But maybe it you thought about an angle change... You know how much I love multiple trunks!!! Looking good coming along.

Back
Top Bottom