BALD CYPRESS

Bonsai Turtle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sounds like a Pond Cypress to me.
Vin,

I also believe it is a pond cypress, which is most recently considered a variant of BC (taxodium distichum var. imbricarium) and not a different species.

The foliage though is more compact than the “normal” or average pond cypress. I’ll share pics when it wakes up.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vin,

I also believe it is a pond cypress, which is most recently considered a variant of BC (taxodium distichum var. imbricarium) and not a different species.

The foliage though is more compact than the “normal” or average pond cypress. I’ll share pics when it wakes up.
Sounds good. I'm in the Panhandle and one of my Bald Cypress is waking up. It's the earliest I have ever seen it wake up and it's been pretty cold lately. Now I'm going to have to protect it when it gets cold again... I hate doing the two-step.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'm in the Panhandle and one of my Bald Cypress is waking up. It's the earliest I have ever seen it wake up and it's been pretty cold lately. Now I'm going to have to protect it when it gets cold again... I hate doing the two-step.
Glad to see you back here!

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Glad to see you back here!
Thanks! I haven't left. I read the posts mostly now because if you comment your drawn into a conversation. I haven't had much time for conversation since the hurricane in 2018 but I'm finally getting caught up with the repairs and cleanup.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! I haven't left. I read the posts mostly now because if you comment your drawn into a conversation. I haven't had much time for conversation since the hurricane in 2018 but I'm finally getting caught up with the repairs and cleanup.

Best wishes, @Vin

Bonsai Turtle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I found a pic of it I took in August 2021, for comparison I am also including a pic of a “normal” pond cypress taken on the same property on the same day.

Attachments

• AD8B7208-0F56-4F25-BBC8-A855A8394C2D.jpeg
    AD8B7208-0F56-4F25-BBC8-A855A8394C2D.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 6D803F58-2651-438B-A293-950A02ED365C.jpeg
    6D803F58-2651-438B-A293-950A02ED365C.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 74
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I got one in a grow pot last year that I'm still debating whether or not I actually want to work, this thread inspires me.

Mine kind of has a lump up its trunk with no branch, but from memory I feel like it would be very similar to this

Screen_Shot_2022-02-18_at_6_46_24_PM.png

Which now I realize must be how they chop? I was thinking of cutting it low and trying to do a kifu or shohin size but honestly wasn't sure how they'd do when made smaller...

Regardless, probably just letting it go wild again this year regardless of which direction I take.

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got one in a grow pot last year that I'm still debating whether or not I actually want to work, this thread inspires me.

Mine kind of has a lump up its trunk with no branch, but from memory I feel like it would be very similar to this

Which now I realize must be how they chop? I was thinking of cutting it low and trying to do a kifu or shohin size but honestly wasn't sure how they'd do when made smaller...

Regardless, probably just letting it go wild again this year regardless of which direction I take.
I don't see a problem with removing that branch. Crude, but you get the point.

BC.jpg

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Juds! The wire cage gave me more natural and somewhat unexpected bends which to your point results in a more natural look. This is most apparent when we compare it to earlier photos. But this is the process with bonsai. At the early stages trees tend to look more artificial than when the design finally ages and matures. It will continue getting better... at least that's the hope!
@MACH5 do you have a picture of said cage? Curious to see what that looked like!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 do you have a picture of said cage? Curious to see what that looked like!

I don't. But it is nothing more than wire wrapped around the tree in three or four spots to keep branches bent down. In my experience, they do not lose any vigor even when forced to grown down!

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't. But it is nothing more than wire wrapped around the tree in three or four spots to keep branches bent down. In my experience, they do not lose any vigor even when forced to grown down!
Makes sense. I was wondering if you had used chicken wire or something similar To this!3F14F19C-DDA4-4013-B339-F5F8BEDA2E65.jpeg

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I truly enjoy looking at this tree and have come back to this thread repeatedly. I finally found myself a nice BC and pulled the trigger. Thanks for the inspiration (I hope to hit you up with many questions as mine develops). Wasn't 100% if I could grow it in my zone and then realized you were Jersey. Same climate (although I have to believe I have better air quality lol).

rhuarc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are really good at what you do... Thanks for documenting all of this, it's very inspiring! I want to try a weeping style now with a Cryptomeria Japonica Elegans that i got from a nursery a few years ago!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Excellent!! It's all in the details!

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
I really love this tree. I made some really good progress on a copy tree, its really helped me learning wiring. Actually your detailed photos have, so thank you so much for sharing your art. Sadly, my "bonsai sitter" under watered this summer and I lost most of the branches, so back to square one. Your photography skill are awesome too.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The best part of fall is @mach updates!!! I really like this new direction!

Thanks Sal!

Excellent!! It's all in the details!

Thanks John. It really is!

I really love this tree. I made some really good progress on a copy tree, its really helped me learning wiring. Actually your detailed photos have, so thank you so much for sharing your art. Sadly, my "bonsai sitter" under watered this summer and I lost most of the branches, so back to square one. Your photography skill are awesome too.

Thanks @Stormwater! Sorry to hear. Life happens sometimes. Best of luck and have fun rebuilding your tree :)

Top Bottom